Vpi 16.5 RCM

Options
I’m looking for advice on modification of my VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine. I want to change out the vacuum motor and platter motor but need some advice on how to remount the vacuum motor.
One of our members, Darque Knight posted several years ago a DIY project to modify the machine, but have questions.
Anybody familiar with the removal and replacement of the vacuum motor?
Thanks.

Best Answer

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Roger that!

It sounded like you were looking to tweak on something that really shouldn't need to be tweaked.

Might try to contact VPI, they may be able to help you out...the machine hasn't changed much.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Answers

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I have one but have never did anything other than clean a few records.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Out of purely morbid curiosity, what would be the point to any of this?
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ovfit
    ovfit Posts: 4
    Options
    My machine is 25 years old. It was in storage for about 20 years. Going through a divorce and diagnosis of leukemia put my hobby on hold
    I just bought a new turntable and took the machine out of storage and did some inspections. Everything seem to work fine for about 150 record cleanings and then one day the vacuum tube started to slide around on the record. When I turned off the vacuum switch the vacuum tube raised slowly. After some research online I discovered that the vacuum motor is probably bad.
    Having it in storage for so many years probably caused an issue, even though I didn’t use it much prior to storage.
    .... So now you know the rest of the story.
  • ovfit
    Options
    VPI did send me a new vacuum tube spring as I thought that might’ve been the issue, but it didn’t help.
    I don’t think they would give me advice on how to fix the motor, but I can buy a new one for half the price that VPI charges from their supplier.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    Your use of the word "modification" gave the impression that you wanted to replace a normally functioning vacuum motor to improve record cleaning performance. Now that you have clarified that what you actually need to do is repair your RCM by replacing an apparently defective vacuum motor.

I agree with the previous advice about contacting VPI. I can't imagine that VPI would not give you proper advice on how to proceed once you provide them with complete information on the age, history, and issues with your RCM.

The modifications I did in 2013 included adding a cooling fan and sound damping material (Dynamat Xtreme) to the cabinet. The cooling fan modification is recommended by VPI. The motor can overheat and shut down during hours-long record cleaning sessions.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ovfit
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I have fatigue from leukemia and sometimes it’s difficult for me to type out my thoughts.
    I’ll contact VPI on Tuesday and see if they can offer some help on removal of the motor. There’s two screws below the motor that I removed, but I don’t think those screws secure the vacuum.
    It looks like the whole piece of MDF must be removed along with the motor.