Anyone else sick of this virtue signaling on every site you go to?

Comments

• Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Some people just need excuses to keep their manufactured anger on full boil. This latest slogan suits the purpose.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    "As for whether it’s more common on one side of the political spectrum? I can’t say because I haven’t seen any studies "

Pssssssst......just a thought but it's okay to think for yourself........you're welcome

o:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited May 2020
    virtue signaling

the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

"it's noticeable how often virtue signaling consists of saying you hate things"

Basically it means when people make a statement on a subject to generate approval from those listening, usually through what is implied rather than what's actually said.

Virtue signalling statements are used to enhance ones standing within a social group. Typically, the statements are made without a practical application of the opinion held. So, like, someone saying that they support our police officers but that's it. No actions like volunteering for one of the police booster charities or donating to any of the police focused causes and so on.

It can also include taking part and/or posting your involvement in online fads. Charity fads such as the Ice Bucket Challenge, are especially subject to virtue signaling since you don't have to prove that you made an accompanying donation to the charity to gain recognition. Your participation can be rationalized that you are "raising awareness" which is HUGE virtue signaling flag when you see that phrase used by someone posting about a cause. So essentially, if you participate in the ice bucket challenge but never make the actual donation you're participation is an empty gesture that only benefits you by winning approval/admiration in your social group. Additionally, those who would be challenged and decline to participate, they might get ostracized by their social group for their rejection of the charitable cause and that's also virtue signaling.

So making opinionated social media posts with no factual reinforcement, just regurgitation and and blind support of whatever some other popular figure has stated is virtue signaling. Changing profile pictures to include an avatar of a cause, or adding a slogan to your social media profile or posting and attempting to shame the rest of your group into sharing something you posted that's pseudo-virtuous are all examples of virtue signalling. All it does is bring attention and adoration to you, any other benefit is empty and fleeting.

If you're a believe in the Cut of Elon and the Cult of Tesla because you believe in the environmental aspect while ignoring the actual science and use it to look down on those who are not believers, you're virtue signaling.

Yes, it's not a good term and if someone says you're virtue signaling they think you are a blowhard windbag with no redeeming value and they're probably right. You should re-evaluate your life choices.

More info with many examples: https://simplicable.com/new/virtue-signaling
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Preaching to other's that you need to wear a mask, otherwise you are "selfish" is another example of this "virtue signaling".

No, it does not mean that you are morally superior to me. It means that you are trying to shame me into submitting to YOUR opinion to make YOU feel good about yourself.

Eh, no thanks. I'd rather exercise my freedom to make that choice for myself. It's none of your damned business whether I wear a mask or not.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "Spits on sidewalk, shakes head, walks away"
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    ^^^Classic contempt signaling right there...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Preaching to other's that you need to wear a mask, otherwise you are "selfish" is another example of this "virtue signaling".

No, it does not mean that you are morally superior to me. It means that you are trying to shame me into submitting to YOUR opinion to make YOU feel good about yourself.

Eh, no thanks. I'd rather exercise my freedom to make that choice for myself. It's none of your damned business whether I wear a mask or not.

Tom

And your response is also an instance of virtue signaling. You are declaring the moral superiority of a libertarian position, which is the one you happen to affirm.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    So be it. If I cherish my freedom and choose to embrace it, I guess I am virtue signaling.....and I'll do it every damned day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

If that makes me a hypocrite? I don't care on this one. I really do not.

2kcqbrd4c0ii.png

Is this virtue signaling as well or an expression of my FREEDOM as an American?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    afterburnt wrote: »

I didn't know you were Chinese.
    Sal Palooza
  • afterburnt

I didn't know you were Chinese.

Me neither.
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2020
    Some people just need excuses to keep their manufactured anger on full boil. This latest slogan suits the purpose.

Stop virtue signaling.

BTW, I never made a jet that kills people.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000

Stop virtue signaling.

I know you are, but what am I! Or maybe, my dad can beat up your dad! Not workin' for ya? How about I'm rubber and you're glue... or sticks and stones, etc.

SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • nooshinjohn

Stop virtue signaling.

I fixed jets that kill people... does that count?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    My dad made F4's for Vietnam. I think that should count what with napalm and all.
    Not to mention that the carrier I was on, the USS Oriskany, was resposible for the most bombs dropped on Cietnam . 😳

Any more virtuous and I wouldn't talk to you people . :'(
    Sal Palooza
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Jets don't kill people.. People kill people.
    We are all good people
    So if we are all in this together, how come I don't see any deposits in my bank from any of you for my next audio purchase?
  • afterburnt
    My dad made F4's for Vietnam. I think that should count what with napalm and all.
    Not to mention that the carrier I was on, the USS Oriskany, was resposible for the most bombs dropped on Cietnam . 😳

Were you on the Oriskany for the fire? Was that the one with the flares or the Zunis?
  • Jstas
    Willow wrote: »
    We are all good people
    So if we are all in this together, how come I don't see any deposits in my bank from any of you for my next audio purchase?

'Cause you're from Canuckistanialand and our money don't work up there.

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited May 2020

[/quote]

Were you on the Oriskany for the fire? Was that the one with the flares or the Zunis?
    [/quote]

I spent some time on the Mighty O back in July of 2010
  • mrbigbluelight

There was a fire on The Mighty O but that was before I got there.
    While storing ammo somebody somehow lit some magnesium flares that lit a whole sheetload of ordinance. Burned through deck after deck after deck. Finally burned itself out but they said it warped the keel. I know that above 18 knots the boat had quite a shimmy-shimmy-shake.

The zunis were on board the USS Forestal, affectionatly called the USS Forest Fire. Now that was one hell of a mess.
    The day after McCain was helo'd over to the Oriskany to be flown off to "recouperate" in Thailand (?).

Sal Palooza
  • Willow
    Jstas wrote: »
    We are all good people

open an account for me down there and let the deposits begin and I'll make the purchase from an American retailer.
  • Jstas
    We are all good people

open an account for me down there and let the deposits begin and I'll make the purchase from an American retailer.

What's in it for me?

• Willow
    edited May 2020
    We are all good people

What's in it for me?

Geez... we're all in this together!!

You sound like that MLB player from the other thread ;)
  • Jstas
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    We are all good people

What's in it for me?

Virtue!!

BAH!

Who needs that?

We are all good people

What's in it for me?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And if we're in this together, I'm leavin'.

• Willow
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    We are all good people

What's in it for me?

Virtue!!

BAH!

Who needs that?

We are all good people

What's in it for me?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And if we're in this together, I'm leavin'.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/191017/pro-sports-it-s-not-about-the-fans#latest

pffft you're not a team player!!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Not a team player?
    oh the shame!!!!
    I don't need to practice social distancing.
    I'm a d@mn social distancing ninja
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    John knows I'm only bugging him he likes me because he wishes he was a Canuck
  • Jstas
    I'm not a team player, the rest of the team can't keep up with me!
    John knows I'm only bugging him he likes me because he wishes he was a Canuck

About as much as I wish I had a canker sore!

• nooshinjohn
    John is only miffed because Canada still refuses to take Justin Bieber back...