Relatively Inexpensive Streamer

For mainly internet radio stations such as Tune In, etc. Will be run through a Marantz PM 5004 integrated, so needs RCA outputs. thanks....

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    edited May 2020
    I have a MUZO Cobblestone that I just retired from my little kitchen system. Replaced the old Proton Radio with a Marantz PM7000N that has built-in streaming. We used it for Spotify only. I found a 2016 The Absolute Sound review: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/linkplay-muzo-cobblestone-internet-music-player/ and it reported that it works with Tune In and iHeart Radio.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I was going to recommend building a Raspberry Pi based piCorePlayer just as @anonymouse has. I run two of these integrated with other Squeezebox Touch units and running off of Logitech Media Server on a home computer. A separate computer is not required for LMS anymore because it can run on the RPi itself.

These things are great. I run one with some Audioengine HD3 desktop monitors and it's one of my favorite systems. The audio over the RPi piCorePlayer with the HiFiBerry DAC is noticeably better than using USB directly from the a Macbook Pro to the Audioengine speakers' DAC, which is a form of their D1.

I think anonymouse may have the RPi set up as a Logitech Media Server itself as well as the player, is this correct?

That would be my recommendation.
    That Cobblestone is neat, too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    So I originally posted this after having a hissy fit one morning because my Auralic mini had to be reset again...and again...the Aries mini sits four feet from a brand new router and the functionality between my phone, router, and Aries mini is extremely irritating at times. The pluses of the mini are the the thousands of internet stations you can access via their app and overall sound quality. First world problems for sure! I will check out some of these options for sure.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Would you be interested in a used Sonos Connect? Pm me if your still looking for an affordable streamer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Just about any internet based streamer will give you radio stations from around the globe, if that's what your after.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    Good to know Tony, as I have a bunch of go to stations I listen to
  • kevhed72
    mantis wrote: »
    Would you be interested in a used Sonos Connect? Pm me if your still looking for an affordable streamer.

PM sent
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    For my barn system I use an old phone with a I-Heart Radio app and Tidal app linked to a cheapy DAC with bluetooth. Make sure it's a phone that's no one's going to call otherwise it will ring through your speakers LOUDLY. Don't ask me how I know...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus