New (to me) Speakers

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
On the way are a minty pair of Focal Chorus 706 monitors. These were not my initial choice when I decided to swap out the Totems but oh well. I have been speaker less down here in my office for over a week and starting to hear things. I cannot wait until these arrive and post some impressions vs my previous speakers....stay tuned!

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I have been speaker less down here in my office for over a week and starting to hear things.

The voices just aren't entertaining enough eh?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kevhed72
    I cant take it anymore!!! I never heard a pair of Focals before so this should be very cool...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Play that jazz SACD on them first to try them out!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I used to own a set of JM labs cobalt 815. Fast, clean tight punch to them.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I am a fan of Focals. Congrats on the purchase, Kev!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I had a pair of those for a brief time. They were not working properly (used) so they went back. Sharp looking speakers for sure.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited May 2020
    I have 806V’s that I love.

I’ve found most Focal speakers to have a fairly different sound from most Totem speakers. I typically find Focal to be “accurate”, fast and great imaging.

Totem I find more warm, musical, also with great imaging. The only exception from this profile I’ve heard form them is the Element series, much more like Focal IMO.

In general I think Totem is more forgiving of recordings and equipment, while Focal is simply not interested in polishing a **** (starts with a “T” ends with “urd”).
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Besides my SDA's there are only 2 other Speakers I would like to own and those would be Focals, or Salks. Enjoy cant wait to hear your impressions.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • kevhed72
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Play that jazz SACD on them first to try them out!

That is a great idea!
  • kevhed72
    Time for some initial impressions on the new speakers, a pair of Focal-JM Lab 706 S. I came across these via online auction and won with the minimum bid price. Initially I was shopping for a pair of Totem Sky or Silverline Grand Minuet monitors but didn't want to blow my entire PP balance since our first goes away to UK in the fall. All of my impressions are related to my previous monitors...a used pair of Totem Rainmakers. More to come but first some pics. These are definitely a beautiful pair of monitors and my 24" Monoprice lead/sand filled stands are a perfect match size wise.
    ton0phnpgb0i.jpeg
    b21pfbfctb7u.jpeg
    dixbhidsgo7w.jpeg
  • kevhed72
    I will skip listing all the associated gear, as you can probably figure it out from the pictures. I have been running a Cary tubed pre with a beautiful sounding Belles SS amp for awhile now. At some point Ill swap in some different tubes but Im sticking with 4 Landsdale Jan 1955 tubes I purchased from our very own Brock (Heiney9) and have been very happy with. Lets cut to the chase....these speakers are very neutral sounding to me vs. the Totems. Both speakers image very well, but the Focals are a cleaner imaging, as in certain frequencies or tones are not quite as "colored" as the Totems. Also, the imaging in the Focals seems more continuous from left to right, and forward and back. For vocal clarity and detail, the Focals win hands down. Also, for jazz and Talking Heads-esque types of music, the Focals do a better job of separating different instruments, whereas the Totems would sound 'condensed'. I have only auditioned redbook CDs and decent quality streaming so far, and have yet to spin some vinyl. Also, I have to go back to Drew's SACD karma of jazz and give that another listen, now that I have settled in on quite a different speaker sound. Much more listening to do....so more to come!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    They certainly look nice and appear to be in mint condition, nice score!