AT&T Green Utility Pillar in Yard

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    The one in the background isn't much better to look at unless you're located in Pisa or something. :/
    Geez, a multi-billion dollar conglomerate like AT&T can't do anything with them?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    polrbehr wrote: »
    The one in the background isn't much better to look at unless you're located in Pisa or something. :/
    Geez, a multi-billion dollar conglomerate like AT&T can't do anything with them?

They don't sweat the small stuff ;)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    What about a couple of these?
    I'm not resizing the photo this time, so there will be a proper sense of scale.

oswq1kdm0wx4.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Dude those are dog walker pee post's come on now you had to know that.

In our neck of the woods cable TV come out of those.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dude those are dog walker pee post's come on now you had to know that.

In our neck of the woods cable TV come out of those.

Yeah, same here, if your development is high class enough, all your wire-based utilities come out of them. They are like telephone poles and provide access points for all the utility companies, not just the phone company.

But, if you live in a low-rent area like the rest of us plebs, you get poles and wires strung everywhere so no beat up and broken down boxes.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    AT&T telecom pedestals are still in use.
    Granted, not very used. Maintenance has all but stopped.
    They are pretty much stuck in limbo. Once 5g becomes nationwide,
    I'm pretty sure AT&T will pull the plug on all landline services.
    That includes traditional phone lines and DSL.
    They tried to kill copper services a couple of times, but were blocked by
    state and federal governments. The city here has a ton of POTS lines in
    use for alarms. And we have a ton of issues with them because of
    crushed or open pedestals letting water in. I can't seem to get
    anyone to here to go with cell based alarm reporting.
    They are stuck in the 70's.
    1970s or 1870s? BTW 5G is cellular. FWIW my house stuck w/“OK” DSL. We tried a couple of other things but were forced to DSL. The town is serious about improving service but I’m not holding my breath.

From time to time I’m around those in a circle STUCK in the 19th century. I’m not kidding

Get around hot rodders, some (way younger than me) are stuck in the 60s. I pay homage to cars from as far back as the 30s but this goofy idea we can NOT improve upon points & carbs is absurd.

Accept what you can’t change (overnight) 😊
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    gp4jesus wrote: »

Get around hot rodders, some (way younger than me) are stuck in the 60s. I pay homage to cars from as far back as the 30s but this goofy idea we can NOT improve upon points & carbs is absurd.

You're hanging around the wrong hot rodders, then.

Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    The 4th of July is right around the corner....and those things are an eyesore! Maybe, hypothetically, a group of young hooligans taped a quarter stick to it. In theory, of no fault of your own, it gets blown to hell and back. I only hope the young hooligans are far away from it to avoid injury....just sayin.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Summer activities (swimming, baseball and such) has been already cancelled as well as all memorial day parades and the 4th of July celebrations here in Illinois.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    This is the monolith that I remember. Does anyone know it?

k0vm4sjhqmoe.png

By the way, my brother was backing out of the driveway and he took my mailbox down. Bought a new post at HD and I broke the handle in my shovel trying to move the concrete left in the hole. I decided to not fix it today.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    2001: A Space Odyssey

A 1968 science fiction film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick. It’s a classic IMO.

They’re on the moon in this scene.
    Alea jacta est!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    [/quote]1970s or 1870s? BTW 5G is cellular. FWIW my house stuck w/“OK” DSL. We tried a couple of other things but were forced to DSL. The town is serious about improving service but I’m not holding my breath.

From time to time I’m around those in a circle STUCK in the 19th century. I’m not kidding

Accept what you can’t change (overnight) 😊
    [/quote]

5G is supposed to replace DSL. They just put a box on 5g in your house.
    No wire to maintain. This allows them to dump unions, since all the
    contracts are tied to wireline services.
    So all internet on phones or for home use will ride the 5g network.
    That's why the copper is no longer maintained.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • gp4jesus
    edited May 2020
    5G is supposed to replace DSL. They just put a box on 5g in your house. No wire to maintain. This allows them to dump unions, since all the
    contracts are tied to wireline services. So all internet on phones or for home use will ride the 5g network. That's why the copper is no longer maintained.
    hmmm... this reminds me of the failed Verizon hot spot we tried about two years ago.

I retired from AT&T December 8th. I’ve stayed in touch w/my crew mates - this is the first I’m hearing about the “5G box.”

To be fair I love the “box” idea. Who provides the “box?” My son, the on-line gamer, looking forward this.

Did I mention Windstream provides our DSL. I imagine we’ll hafta wait longer than most. Keep us posted

That data still hasta find its way to a Central office but you’re right, comm wise fiber is far more trouble-free than copper though it’s subject to damage far more easily - I repaired my share of it back in the day

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    What about a couple of these?
    I'm not resizing the photo this time, so there will be a proper sense of scale.

oswq1kdm0wx4.png

She'd probably get bored after a while standing in front of the pillar. 'specially if it's cold or rainy.
    :|
  • mhardy6647
    We actually have this remarkably convincing faux granite pillar thingie disguising the vent on our septic system's leach field. It's quite fetching, I think, and very northern New England appropriate.

a0fizgecb96u.jpg
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    edited May 2020
    Kex wrote: »
    2001: A Space Odyssey

A 1968 science fiction film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick. It’s a classic IMO.

They’re on the moon in this scene.
    This is, by any objective or subjective measure (whatever that means) one of the greatest movies ever made. My kids were amazed it was made 50 years or so ago the first time they saw it.
  • gp4jesus
    edited May 2020
    Jstas wrote: »

You're hanging around the wrong* hot rodders, then.
    😂 you’re right about that* in principle. Most to whom I refer are in the car magazines 🤔 except one - real nice guy, better at turning wrenches than I, will give you shirt off his back but he will die a points, carb, and, I forgot, solid lifter guy. He refused to accept the idea, back in the 80s hydraulic lifters would reliably turn 7K RPM on the street. He swore my 340 came w/solids but could not explain their lack of noise or need for occasional adjustments.

Oh well... Tony

• sucks2beme
    5G is supposed to replace DSL. They just put a box on 5g in your house. No wire to maintain. This allows them to dump unions, since all the
    contracts are tied to wireline services. So all internet on phones or for home use will ride the 5g network. That's why the copper is no longer maintained.
    hmmm... this reminds me of the failed Verizon hot spot we tried about two years ago.

I retired from AT&T December 8th. I’ve stayed in touch w/my crew mates - this is the first I’m hearing about the “5G box.”

To be fair I love the “box” idea. Who provides the “box?” My son, the on-line gamer, looking forward this.

Did I mention Windstream provides our DSL. I imagine we’ll hafta wait longer than most. Keep us posted

That data still hasta find its way to a Central office but you’re right, comm wise fiber is far more trouble-free than copper though it’s subject to damage far more easily - I repaired my share of it back in the day

Verizon dumped their wireline stuff across most of the US about 5 years
    ago and used the cash to buy wireless spectrum. AT&T hasn't changed much.
    They did a half @ssed attempt on running fiber to the user, and then gave up.
    The drop dead date for ending pots lines came and went a couple of times.
    I haven't heard a word lately. AT&T is jacking up prices for any copper based
    service in an attempt to force users off of it. We still have OPX lines (batphones)
    in service. They have them running from 911 to hospitals and critical sites.
    I'm an ex-Nortel and ex-Avaya guy. I still roam among the other dinosaurs,
    Just waiting for someone to push me into the tar pit.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • gp4jesus
    Who “...did a half @ssed attempt on running fiber to the user, and then gave up?” Verizon?

The last ~ 5 years around Athens GA, w/increasing frequency, we (AT&T) spliced systems supporting fiber to the house.

Last I heard my former crew mates are still at it and customers love it
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Jstas wrote: »

You're hanging around the wrong* hot rodders, then.
    😂 you’re right about that* in principle. Most to whom I refer are in the car magazines 🤔 except one - real nice guy, better at turning wrenches than I, will give you shirt off his back but he will die a points, carb, and, I forgot, solid lifter guy. He refused to accept the idea, back in the 80s hydraulic lifters would reliably turn 7K RPM on the street. He swore my 340 came w/solids but could not explain their lack of noise or need for occasional adjustments.

Oh well... Tony

But a solid lifter V8 sounds so good with a good cam. My 68 Z/28 had solids with a 30/30 Chevy cam. Sounded great a idle and would max at 7,300 rpm stock with the smog pump belt off and bigger jets in the carb (780 dual feed Holly).
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • sucks2beme
    Who “...did a half @ssed attempt on running fiber to the user, and then gave up?” Verizon?

The last ~ 5 years around Athens GA, w/increasing frequency, we (AT&T) spliced systems supporting fiber to the house.

Last I heard my former crew mates are still at it and customers love it

In Dallas, Verizon ran fiber. AT&T was still sticking with dsl. Verizon sold
    everything copper and fiber to Frontier.
    Here in SW Tennessee AT&T is almost all still DSL.
    They ran fiber into the subdivision over a year ago-still no customer
    connections. Their sales guys were frothing to sign us up. Fiber is coming-
    dump your cable. I haven't seen any activity since. It comes a couple of blocks in
    and stops. Not a single home has been hooked up yet.
    Clearly AT&T has no love for the land of Elvis!
  • gp4jesus
    “...AT&T has no love for the land of Elvis!”
    Newsflash: AT&T (execs) has no love for anyone but themselves!
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 304
    And they own CNN.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited May 2020
    Edit: I thought I came up with a brilliant joke, but just noticed BlueBirdMusic beat me to it. Damn you!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    My mail box and post was knocked down by a driver about 6:00 PM yesterday.

Sorry to hear that brother.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Start a trend for your neighborhood. Get one of these hollowed out.

du1bd22jxg0k.jpg

OOH hey or this!!!

xtwm0cx092mn.jpg

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sucks2beme
    Am I the only one who sees some AT&T tech walking around
    confused looking for the pedestal?
  • mhardy6647
    another option

llfphlvkrr95.png