Monitor 70s - Worth it to upgrade to S60s and S30?

Options
alettiere
alettiere Posts: 12
I have two Monitor 70 Series II towers and a CS2 center. For my surrounds, I have two Polk MC80s in the ceiling and a 505 subwoofer. The sub just went dead and a repair guy I know said he can't replace the amp because the part is NA, but is going to replace it with a different Polk amp.

This has me wondering about replacing my whole setup - with the exception of the MC80s, which I'm keeping.

I've been looking at going with the S60 towers. The S35 center channel would not fit in my cabinet, so I would go with the S30 - provided this is a good match. I would then upgrade to a newer sub, such as the HTS12. However, this has me questioning: Is this really going to be a significant upgrade from the 70 series?

I mean, I haven't really noticed anything bad about what I have now - aside from the sub failure and sometimes getting some harsh rattling on the 505 - but that's more attributed to room setup.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    What are the speakers being powered by?

Also, I would not spend any money trying to repair the 505 subwoofer, instead I would put the money toward a quality sub such as SVS, Rhythmik, REL, etc.
  • alettiere
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What are the speakers being powered by?

Also, I would not spend any money trying to repair the 505 subwoofer, instead I would put the money toward a quality sub such as SVS, Rhythmik, REL, etc.

Yamaha 1080 Aventage and an Outlaw 5000. The 70 series (and CS2 center) seem to get a lot of hate by audiophiles on forums, but I've honestly never really had a problem with them. So I'm wondering if I should just keep everything and just worry about getting a better subwoofer.

I was considering the SVS SB-2000, but had reservations that it won't "match" all of my Polk stuff. But yeah, a lot of people have advised me to not even bother with another Polk subwoofer.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Yes, the S60's would be an upgrade. The SVS SB2000 would be another upgrade

If you are content with the 70's the add the SVS 2000...re-calibrate your system.

If you add the SVS 2000, you can later add the Polk S55's as the sub will do the rest of the heavy lifting
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I was pretty happy with the Monitor 70 Series II once I got them on the right amp and stuff. They played nicely with a Parasound 2250v2 and I still have them. I don't think you need to worry about the sub "matching" you just have to dial it in right. I ran an SVS with them and it was fine. Lots of good feedback on the S60's but I have not heard them myself.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Is this all for theater or also music?

I haven't heard the Monitor 70 Series II, but did a mini-shootout with a friend a few years ago with Monitor 60s, Signature S20s, and LSiM 703s.

The S20s were the best of the 3 for theater, and decent for music.
    Both the S20s and 703s bested the M60s for music, of course, each revealing more detail and nuance in the music played. The Signature series is a good combo use speaker. It offers good detail and range without sounding harsh.

I found the Monitor 60s to be somewhat muted and lacking detail in comparison to the others. Not sure how this translates to your Monitor 70 Series II, but if similar, then the Signatures will definitely be an upgrade.

I agree on starting just with a new sub for now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Scott, I think that the 70's are far better than the 60's. I am going to try the 70's with my modest vinyl setup, the 60's will go in the shed.
  • msg
    Options
    Ah, good info. You have he 60s as well then.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Scott, I think that the 70's are far better than the 60's. I am going to try the 70's with my modest vinyl setup, the 60's will go in the shed.

You’re talking about m70s vs s60s right? Not monitors vs monitors just to be clear?

I also agree that no matter what I would just start with the sub. It will make a huge difference...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I think Bruce is talking about the Monitor 70s vs Monitor 60s.
    I can't see anyone thinking the Monitor 70s would best the Signature S60s.
    Is that right, Bruce?
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I think Bruce is talking about the Monitor 70s vs Monitor 60s.
    I can't see anyone thinking the Monitor 70s would best the Signature S60s.
    Is that right, Bruce?

Maybe I’m lost, but isn’t the op looking at upgrading to signature 60s? I’ve only heard the s50s in Best Buy so I’ve have no business being in this convo lol.

Except I have owned good subs, so upgrade that for sure!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, my fault. I was trying to relate an experience with Signatures to an experience with Monitor 60s, but it was probably a stretch for comparison, and Bruce clarifies that with his statement of the Monitor 70 Series II being much better than Monitor 60s.

Yes, you're correct, the OP is looking to upgrade from Monitor 70 Series II to Signature S60s.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

You’re talking about m70s vs s60s right? Not monitors vs monitors just to be clear?

I also agree that no matter what I would just start with the sub. It will make a huge difference...

monitors vs monitors
  • alettiere
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I decided to take a bit of a turn and go with some SVS Prime Towers and Center, as well as an SB-2000 Pro subwoofer. I researched for some opinions - some think it'll be a nice upgrade, while others do not. I guess I have 45 days to try it out and see.

I'm using Polk MC80s as surrounds in my ceiling. Because my space is so limited, they are both positioned directly above the couch on the right and left - as behind me isn't an option because the couch is up against the wall and there are giant windows directly behind me.

I'm a bit on the fence about whether or not I should just keep the MC80s or upgrade to something better - but since I'm restricted to ceiling speakers and those two channels are only really implemented during 5.1 movies or shows, it might be worth it just to keep them. I'll probably post a separate thread about it.
  • alettiere
    Options
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I would like to hear your impressions of those towers. I never gave em much thought cept "boy the sho is ugly". I guess I don't care about looks except I like all speakers better with the grills on.
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, curious to hear about the SVS speakers, too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    alettiere wrote: »
    I decided to take a bit of a turn and go with some SVS Prime Towers and Center, as well as an SB-2000 Pro subwoofer. I researched for some opinions - some think it'll be a nice upgrade, while others do not. I guess I have 45 days to try it out and see.

I'm using Polk MC80s as surrounds in my ceiling. Because my space is so limited, they are both positioned directly above the couch on the right and left - as behind me isn't an option because the couch is up against the wall and there are giant windows directly behind me.

I'm a bit on the fence about whether or not I should just keep the MC80s or upgrade to something better - but since I'm restricted to ceiling speakers and those two channels are only really implemented during 5.1 movies or shows, it might be worth it just to keep them. I'll probably post a separate thread about it.

The MC 80's are a good surround height speaker. For just surround duty I'd keep them there.

Going from Monitor 70 and a 505 to that SVS setup is going to be an eye opener, you may even experience a holy C##P.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • alettiere
    Options
    I would like to hear your impressions of those towers. I never gave em much thought cept "boy the sho is ugly". I guess I don't care about looks except I like all speakers better with the grills on.
    msg wrote: »
    Yeah, curious to hear about the SVS speakers, too.
    mrloren wrote: »

Going from Monitor 70 and a 505 to that SVS setup is going to be an eye opener, you may even experience a holy C##P.

The SVS Primes (which I received last weekend) are definitely a noticeable step up in comparison to what I had with the Polks. I was a little on the fence about going with an SB2000 sub, as everyone on AVS kept telling me to go ported (or dual ported no less), but I just can't handle that size in my small living room.

The Primes are a bit smaller than the Monitor 70s and the center is a bit smaller than the CS2 center, but that takes absolutely nothing away from them. I haven't given them the full workout yet and I had to run YPAO on my Yamaha AVR a couple of times to get things just right. I intend to learn how to use REW with my Umik when I have a free day to really experiment later this month - but I'm really impressed so far. The center is much better than what I had before. Not that the CS2 was necessarily bad - it could just sound kind of boxy at times. Even after a pro calibration (a la Jeff Meier), dialogue was always a mixed bag. No such issues with the Prime Center. The Prime towers aren't as "bright" and harsh as the Monitors. Despite being an "entry level" series by the standards of SVS, I'm extremely impressed with everything.

Hopefully, I can sell my Polks as a set and at least get a little money out of them. But yeah, my Polk MC80s will remain in the ceiling for my two surrounds :)