Hey Guys - I'm new to the forum and interested in picking up some RTi A9s that are on sale. Howev

Options
Hey Guys - I'm new to the forum and interested in picking up some RTi A9s that are on sale. However, I'll be pushing them with a Denon AVR-S650H and I'm wondering if it'll have enough power for the RTi A9s. I plan to use them in a 2.1 config, but I don't actually have a sub yet. Thanks for you responses!

Best Answers

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It looks like that amp will drive them, but in a small room would be better.

https://www.soundandvision.com/floorloudspeakers/890polkrti
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Answer ✓
    Options
    JamesKirk wrote: »
    Hey Guys - I'm new to the forum and interested in picking up some RTi A9s that are on sale. However, I'll be pushing them with a Denon AVR-S650H and I'm wondering if it'll have enough power for the RTi A9s. I plan to use them in a 2.1 config, but I don't actually have a sub yet. Thanks for you responses!

No
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @F1nut - Thanks for your response. Concerning the Polk RTi line, how far should I step down? A7s or A5s?

With your current AVR I think the A5 would be the best match.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Have you had a look at the Polk Signature Series? Not sure where they are price wise these days, but some S55s might be a nice fit for you. Personally I find the Signature Series to be a more pleasing fit than RTi series, similar to the RTiA. If music is a consideration for you, I'd have a look at the Signatures before you pull the trigger on RTiA.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Is the 2.1 configuration going to be used for music, movies or both? I have the RTi8's which is the old version of the RTiA5's (square cabinet instead of curved). They are excellent for movies when matched with a good sub and are easy to drive with an AVR. The RTi and RTiA lines are geared towards home theater. They are a bright sounding speaker which becomes more noticeable for music. I originally used them for dual-purpose and did everything I could to tame the highs for music and was never fully pleased. I still use them in my home theater though. I just thought I might mention that before you purchase them. They sound good with music at lower levels, but when you raise the volume they are what we call fatiguing, and can give you a headache, as well.

Answers

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    What is the continuous two channel power rating between 20-20KHz of the Denon?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • JamesKirk
    JamesKirk Posts: 6
    Options
  • JamesKirk
    Options
    @Hermitism & @BlueFox - Thanks for the quick, and informative, reply. I thought that my Denon was borderline too weak, but maybe I can get away with it since I don't plan on really playing music loud for too long ... I'm too old for that! I've narrowed my speaker choices to the RTi A9 and the Klipsche RP-8000F and was less worried about being able to power the RP-8000F ... many thanks!
  • JamesKirk
    Options
    @F1nut - Thanks for your response. Concerning the Polk RTi line, how far should I step down? A7s or A5s?
  • JamesKirk
    Options
    @F1nut - Thanks for the suggestion ... the RTi A5s are on sale at Crutchfield for $219 each ... sounds like a decent deal. By the way, does anyone have an opinion on the Crutchfield "Speaker Compare virtual audio technology"?
  • Hermitism
    Options
    @msg, you beat me by seconds.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    edited May 2020
    Options
    And a great elaboration that was. I agree fully.

I also agree that the RTi series are really nice for theater. I thoroughly enjoyed my RTi10s and CSi5 for theater, but had to move on to the LSiM for music. I was miserable after about 20 minutes for music with the RTis. They were ruining it for me.

When I had the opportunity to try a set of Signature S20s a few years later, I was really impressed at their dual-use capability. Comparing them to LSiM703s, the LSiM bookshelf, I have to say the S20s edged them out in theater use, but for music it was the LSiM703s. When I wrote a mini-review on the S20s, I said that had the Signature Series been available when I first got into audio, I don't know that I'd have gotten as deeply into it. The Signature Series is a really good all 'rounder.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • JamesKirk
    Options
    @msg and @Hermitism - Thanks alot for the perspective. For what its worth, I used the Crutchfield "Speaker Compare" tool and listened to the RTi A5 and S55 for a while, back to back. Don't know how much the information biased me, but the A5s did sound a bit more shrill than the S55s. I could see where that could get irritating after a few songs. Also, the RTi line seems heavily discounted on Crutchfield's site. As of this writing the S55s are $276 ea., and the A5s are $219 ea. I'm leaning towards the S55s now ... thanks guys.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Also, the RTi line seems heavily discounted on Crutchfield's site.
    I think one of the reasons the RTiA line is heavily discounted is that that line has been discontinued. The Signature series "S" is a current production line.