Hey Guys - I'm new to the forum and interested in picking up some RTi A9s that are on sale. Howev

Hey Guys - I'm new to the forum and interested in picking up some RTi A9s that are on sale. However, I'll be pushing them with a Denon AVR-S650H and I'm wondering if it'll have enough power for the RTi A9s. I plan to use them in a 2.1 config, but I don't actually have a sub yet. Thanks for you responses!

Best Answers

Answers

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    What is the continuous two channel power rating between 20-20KHz of the Denon?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • JamesKirk
    JamesKirk Posts: 6
    Hey Guys - I'm new to the forum and interested in picking up some RTi A9s that are on sale. However, I'll be pushing them with a Denon AVR-S650H and I'm wondering if it'll have enough power for the RTi A9s. I plan to use them in a 2.1 config, but I don't actually have a sub yet. Thanks for you responses!
  • JamesKirk
    @Hermitism & @BlueFox - Thanks for the quick, and informative, reply. I thought that my Denon was borderline too weak, but maybe I can get away with it since I don't plan on really playing music loud for too long ... I'm too old for that! I've narrowed my speaker choices to the RTi A9 and the Klipsche RP-8000F and was less worried about being able to power the RP-8000F ... many thanks!
  • JamesKirk
    @F1nut - Thanks for your response. Concerning the Polk RTi line, how far should I step down? A7s or A5s?
  • JamesKirk
    @F1nut - Thanks for the suggestion ... the RTi A5s are on sale at Crutchfield for $219 each ... sounds like a decent deal. By the way, does anyone have an opinion on the Crutchfield "Speaker Compare virtual audio technology"?
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    @msg, you beat me by seconds.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited May 2020
    And a great elaboration that was. I agree fully.

I also agree that the RTi series are really nice for theater. I thoroughly enjoyed my RTi10s and CSi5 for theater, but had to move on to the LSiM for music. I was miserable after about 20 minutes for music with the RTis. They were ruining it for me.

When I had the opportunity to try a set of Signature S20s a few years later, I was really impressed at their dual-use capability. Comparing them to LSiM703s, the LSiM bookshelf, I have to say the S20s edged them out in theater use, but for music it was the LSiM703s. When I wrote a mini-review on the S20s, I said that had the Signature Series been available when I first got into audio, I don't know that I'd have gotten as deeply into it. The Signature Series is a really good all 'rounder.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • JamesKirk
    @msg and @Hermitism - Thanks alot for the perspective. For what its worth, I used the Crutchfield "Speaker Compare" tool and listened to the RTi A5 and S55 for a while, back to back. Don't know how much the information biased me, but the A5s did sound a bit more shrill than the S55s. I could see where that could get irritating after a few songs. Also, the RTi line seems heavily discounted on Crutchfield's site. As of this writing the S55s are $276 ea., and the A5s are $219 ea. I'm leaning towards the S55s now ... thanks guys.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    JamesKirk wrote: »
    Also, the RTi line seems heavily discounted on Crutchfield's site.
    I think one of the reasons the RTiA line is heavily discounted is that that line has been discontinued. The Signature series "S" is a current production line.