Sciatica

Options
Got it again this time on my left side. First bout on my right side cleared up with the stretchs and exercises. This time they have made it worse. Any suggestions short of going to the rapist?

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,134
    Options
    For me, investing in a standing desk was well worth the cost. They are expensive, but they are hundreds less than surgery and PTO for recovery time.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    For me, it was always an issue with my posture while driving.
    After many attempts at adjusting the drivers seat trial&error, i have been able to prevent it for almost a year now.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    One thing I do to be more comfortable when lying down is put a pillow under my knees. And when I turn on side in bed, I put the pillow between my legs.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,639
    Options
    Muscle relaxers. I had my bout when I was on vacation in Hawaii. The plane ride back to the mainland was no fun. Also seeing a chiropractor helped me.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    When I changed jobs, no move sitting around at my desk all day.
    The modern office environment is killing people.
    Less time sitting is good. And lots of exercise.
    No more 24 hour long tied to the desk marathons for me.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I am sure that being in a truck on bad roads contribute to this maybe I should fight my company on this. My job has absolutely wasted my body I am in a great deal of pain at least the sciatica takes my mind off of the other stuff somewhat. Bad feeling when you can't do what you used to do for yourself.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    I had a friend that found out it was his wallet in his back pocket whIle sitting.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • afterburnt
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    I had a friend that found out it was his wallet in his back pocket whIle sitting.

That was the first twinge I ever had come to think of it.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,467
    Options
    Yeah, that wallet thing is common. I think there's an operation for that where they scallop out one but.t cheek to make room for guys who just can't stop carrying a fat wallet full of crap they don't need.
    I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Yeah, that wallet thing is common. I think there's an operation for that where they scallop out one but.t cheek to make room for guys who just can't stop carrying a fat wallet full of crap they don't need.

Awesome
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,134
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    That's true. I switched to a slim wallet in the front pocket a few years ago. Couldn't imagine it in the back pocket now.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    My sciatica went away when I dropped carb consumption. I had no idea that sugar played so much into the inflammation of my nerves, brain fog, joint pain, bloat, and bouts of anxiety. It only took a week of lowering carbs for me to feel much better, and now I can regulate those issues with diet and exercise/stretching.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • afterburnt
    Options
    My sciatica went away when I dropped carb consumption. I had no idea that sugar played so much into the inflammation of my nerves, brain fog, joint pain, bloat, and bouts of anxiety. It only took a week of lowering carbs for me to feel much better, and now I can regulate those issues with diet and exercise/stretching.

I mostly avoid refined and most carbs but since the lockdown I have been eating significantly more fast-food with those factory buns and kots of other carp that I don't usually eat. I hate going in the store, it's just too sad.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options

afterburntafterburnt Posts: 6,878
    May 1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Sure it's not your nose?

I am embarrassed I have to admit, I have no arms or legs but I don't type with my nose.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Got it again this time on my left side. First bout on my right side cleared up with the stretchs and exercises. This time they have made it worse. Any suggestions short of going to the rapist?
    How is this even possible? :p
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,467
    Options
    Hold it right there Dennis or were gonna end up with a photo here that none of us can unsee!
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I finally got an email visit with my Doctor and am on the steroids again. Are these things supposed to keep you up all night or is it just me stressed out with this moving crap? Anyway, the sciatica has calmed down some, only some. The last time I was on the steroids they did the trick in two days, I am on day four of six now. Figures I would give out just before I get to retire.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,527
    Options
    Driving for long periods, as you know, is the worst thing for sciatica.

There are a few stretches that work well as you have come to find out.
    Tai Chi every day (light stretching) or walking works wonders.

Motrin rocks out for over the counter.

Cut down on the s*x for a while.

My wallet has been in the front for years.

Throw that chest out! Stand tall.

Steroid shots in the back work for a while. They will give you three over time.
    The first will work for 1-2 years.
    The second will work for 6 months.
    The third will work for 6 weeks.

Interesting idea about what food you eat...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. 16x5 or more along with real food (especially no processed grains) and moderate exercise as pain permits.

Stop any supplements and multivitamins you may have been taking.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Keep moving. Sitting still will always make it worse.
    Exercise is your friend. It will hurt, but things will get better.
    I also have been sleeping with a pillow between my knees for about 4 years.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,106
    Options
    msg wrote: »

This must be a single man’s problem. I still carry my wallet in my right hip pocket, and used to have an issue, but now that I have a wife and a three year old, my wallet is so thin I can almost see through it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^ So the wife cut your allowance.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Good tips thanks. I guess all things considered I am doing good to suffer from this this late In the game, all I seem to do is drive. 11 more days of driving at work and a few more round trips to AZ and that will do it. I hope.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    Depending on the level of nerve pain, walking was ma be your key.
    Lost my first full time job due to a "slipped disk".
    Started with a week in the hospital in traction....no fun but the drugs were amazing. Once home I walked slowly on level surfaces only. After a bit took longer walks and finally got to a mostly pain free day with lots of walking. I now walk as much as time(and my knees) allows. I find myself humming to James Taylor's Walking Man a lot :smile:

Exercise...any exercise...is important.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    Sciatica? I bought their first album back in the 80s.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,639
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I always had good luck using a heating pad to relieve pain. My kids always made jokes about it though. LOL. My chiropractor told me to use ice instead. Both worked in providing temporary relief.