Where to buy dry ice?

Options
I used to see if for sale someplace but I no longer go most places that I used so I can't remember or maybe it was just a dream? I remember lots of stuff that never happened.

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I thought you could buy it at most grocery stores, Wal-Mart, maybe even Home Depot, but I could be wrong.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    I know where to bury dry ice.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Any airline caterer should have it, not sure if they can sell, but can tell you where to get it.

Brings back memories of practical jokes with dry ice. One of my first jobs at an airport, we would take half-full Evian water bottles, since their bottles were stronger, then add a handful of crushed dry ice to the bottle.

Cap it off and toss it inside catering vehicle and let it roll under the carts while someone was securing the carts. Took about 30-45 seconds before it went off.

Tell you what....inside a closed space you would think a 12ga went off.

That was mine, and a few others' so-called initiation.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Most grocery stores. Most liquor stores.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    we make it in the basement as
    you can never have too much on hand
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    I think that's a different kind of ice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • NotaSuv
    Options
    oh snap my bad............
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Around here, places that sell supplies for beer tap set-ups have it.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    The same place where you buy powdered water.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Ice cream shops or liquor stores.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    There's local ice makers here that sell bulk ice and ice systems for restaurants, food service and so on. They often have retail counters as well where a regular shlub can just walk up. All the ones I know of handle regular water ice and CO2 ice (dry ice) so every time I've needed it, I've gone to "Mack The Ice Man" for it.

There's a couple locally that do liquid nitrogen and other more extreme cooling options for chemical/biology labs and such for schools and small manufacturing/engineering/prototyping shops.

I'd say look in the phone book but nobody uses those anymore but a search on Google...well, honestly, Bing and DuckDuckGo have been more reliable lately so use one of those and search for "dry ice suppliers near me" or replace "me" with your zipcode. You should find a few.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Oh, also, if you have an Airgas distributor near you, they sell it too. Basically any place that will do compressed gases for stuff like welding supply or electronics manufacturing or even medical supply companies will likely have dry ice as well. But, the difference between the other suppliers and industrial suppliers is that the dry ice from an industrial suppler like a welding supply company will not be food safe. Airgas likely will have industrial and food safe dry ice but food safe dry ice is going to be more expensive than industrial dry ice.

I found that the places that specialize in water ice are cheaper for food safe dry ice because they don't do industrial dry ice so cost structure is different.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    If you are shipping something along the lines of food or body parts, make sure to declare how much dry ice you are using. There are limitations for quantities which can be shipped via truck and aircraft. With that...no need to comment on what you may be shipping!
  • NotaSuv
    Options
    CO2 fire extinguisher + a towel = dry ice
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    CO2 fire extinguisher + a towel = dry ice

No
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Any airline caterer should have it, not sure if they can sell, but can tell you where to get it.

Brings back memories of practical jokes with dry ice. One of my first jobs at an airport, we would take half-full Evian water bottles, since their bottles were stronger, then add a handful of crushed dry ice to the bottle.

Cap it off and toss it inside catering vehicle and let it roll under the carts while someone was securing the carts. Took about 30-45 seconds before it went off.

Tell you what....inside a closed space you would think a 12ga went off.

That was mine, and a few others' so-called initiation.

We did the same, used liter and two liter plastic bottles. Threw them in sand-pit lakes and the Platte River. Cheaper than M-80's. We did use some C-4 only ONCE to uproot a large dead cottonwood tree on a sandbar island, a fourth of July in the early 1970's, (an ex navy guy placed it), it was the grand finale, WOW!
  • msg
    Options
    The first instance of "hold my beer..."
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    Options
    ^^^^ I was only a guest. Annual 4th party of maybe 100 people at a lake/river home.
  • msg
    Options
    Sure sure... haha
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    Options
    That 100 year old Cottonwood shot skyward about 150 feet. At about 9:30 at night. Luckily the sandbar was about 100 yards out in the middle of the river. All the dead wood fell in pieces and floated down the Platte maybe another 30 miles to where the Platte joins the Missouri River.
  • Viking64
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    All the dead wood fell in pieces and floated down the Platte maybe another 30 miles to where the Platte joins the Missouri River.

Did your trace its path on a Platte map?
  • aprazer402
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    All the dead wood fell in pieces and floated down the Platte maybe another 30 miles to where the Platte joins the Missouri River.

Big derail here!

This lamp is for sale on local CL.
    https://omaha.craigslist.org/clt/d/omaha-vintage-kron-poodle-pug-ceramic/7116773271.html
    NO AFFIL.!!!!!!
    nh8c6cwmy0kh.jpg
    fvexh9zsuluq.jpg
    4vcpag1lmmrl.jpg
  • Viking64
    Options
    That's Benji the Dairy Art Pug. He makes sculptures of dogs out of cottage cheese. :p
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Big derail here!

https://omaha.craigslist.org/clt/d/omaha-vintage-kron-poodle-pug-ceramic/7116773271.html
    NO AFFIL.!!!!!!
    nh8c6cwmy0kh.jpg
    fvexh9zsuluq.jpg
    4vcpag1lmmrl.jpg

That thing is pretty ugly when the eyeball lights are off. How much do you want for it?