Air Core Inductor falls off crossover during shipping

Options
13»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    If you use the quad I would twist the end, the Quadrax is not the best option for internal wiring due to its size
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Oh, I see now. The first image of Rondo I saw was 2X2.5, but now I see there are several 4X options: 1.6, 2.5, 4.0. So with 4X, you twist in pairs to get +/-.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Well that green tarnish would be all I need to see to get rid of the wire there now, but I completely understand Drew's position.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I'm struggling to see...are the strands coated copper, or aluminum? They don't look like solid copper at first glance.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well that green tarnish would be all I need to see to get rid of the wire there now, but I completely understand Drew's position.
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see...are the strands coated copper, or aluminum? They don't look like solid copper at first glance.

The former is due to residual HCl in the PVC insulation and is inevitable with zip cord like that.

One would like to think it's 'pure' copper (if not OFC) and not CCA. Based on @clipdat's experience to date, the manufacturer would probably answer the question if asked.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

Hey good eye, Jody. I took a closer look and took some pics. It looks like the negative lead/wire is silver colored and the positive one is copper colored. Not sure what that means, I'll ask ATC what type of internal wiring is used.

508g1svm1pqa.jpg

rhkuo0yrrgvw.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited April 2020
    Options
    looks like good old fashioned speaker wire, where the insulation is clear and the negative wire is tinned copper stranded and the positive is bare copper stranded.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The silver colored lead is (should be) tinned copper.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    So is that good or bad?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Neither. :)
    It is a time-honored way of labeling wire for polarity -- the copper gets tinned when soldering, so no real net effect.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Oh ok, interesting. I did appreciate that it's at least larger gauge internal wiring versus what I've seen used in other speakers.
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2020
    Options
    My stance is that it makes sense to either repair the stock wiring and inductor and leave it at that, or go hog wild for a full crossover upgrade. Either reusing the PCBs or going point to point wiring.

If I did want to explore the possibility for a full upgrade, is there anyone here on the forum who would be willing to undertake this project if I pay them for it? I know we have some people here known for their meticulous crossover work and attention to detail like @westmassguy
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    My 2 cents....you might want to establish a base line with everything original to see if the sound signature/performance is something you like before considering upgrades. I've never heard any of ATC's speakers, but from what I've read I don't want to.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah, fair enough. Point taken.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    My 2 cents....you might want to establish a base line with everything original to see if the sound signature/performance is something you like before considering upgrades. I've never heard any of ATC's speakers, but from what I've read I don't want to.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah, fair enough. Point taken.

Sage advice, methinks -- it might be a different matter if they were 40 years old, but presumably they're relatively modern, so it's probably fair, and best, to hear them initially as their designers & builders intended.

As a wino on a bus in Bermuda sagely opined to me one beautiful day years ago
    The largest room in the world is the room for improvement

• Clipdat
    Options
    As my luck would have it even though I had FedEx box and pack the crossover to ship to Joe, the heavy inductor broke loose from the PCB again and moved around in transit. It destroyed the leads on several of the wonderful BENNIC capacitors, broke other wires off, and generally made a huge mess.

Undeterred, Joe calmly fixed everything and got it working and tested - fully functional. Amazing! Big thanks to Joe for his help and going the extra mile.

Looking forward to receiving it back and getting the speaker put back together!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    As my luck would have it even though I had FedEx box and pack the crossover to ship to Joe, the heavy inductor broke loose from the PCB again and moved around in transit. It destroyed the leads on several of the wonderful BENNIC capacitors...

[emphasis added]

Oh the humanity.

B)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    My pleasure
    It’s packed up right, but still fingers crossed for a safe transit. Going with UPS as they seem to be the lesser of two evils.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2020
    Options
    FedEx is absolutely the lesser of the two evils, hence the reason the L200 demo speakers are required to be shipped via them. I wouldn't trust UPS to safely ship a feather.

Drew, you should always pack your own stuff. FedEx nor UPS have anything other than peanuts and bubble wrap to use for packing material of which neither is suitable for shipping hifi gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Jesse, I agree with that. My brother and I shipped over 3000 antique clocks (wood, glass, movements, springs) of all sizes over a ten year period and UPS was danger - use only FedEx. And it's almost impossible to have an insurance claim paid by UPS.

On Tuesday I received a portable air conditioner ordered from Amazon, and some of the parts were spilling out the bottom of the box. Shipped by UPS. The driver let the entire package roll off his hand trucks at my front door, but the major damage occurred in shipping probably by the automated belts that move the packages in the warehouse. One package stops and a larger one hits it.

@Joe, I suggest you devise something that restricts movement of the parts and "cushions" the inductor. Devise something that keeps the momentum from sending it crashing. It's the inside of the box packing that you have to worry about.
    Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Drew, you should always pack your own stuff. FedEx nor UPS have anything other than peanuts and bubble wrap to use for packing material of which neither is suitable for shipping hifi gear.

Moved, seconded, and approved. FWIW.
    (also FWIW, my own track record with the good ol' USPS is extremely good, but then again the size and weight of things that are practically shippable by USPS is limited)

Don't invite an @polkfarmboy moment.
    @hermitism maybe we need some sort of polkfarmboy badge to underscore packing and/or shipping mishaps (and/or discussions involving skinny jeans or Boxsters)?

982hdddz0kgk.png

• mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    Options
    Nice candidate for a crossover rebuild upgrade project. You weren’t expecting it but it could be cool.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2020
    Options
    FedEx is absolutely the lesser of the two evils, hence the reason the L200 demo speakers are required to be shipped via them. I wouldn't trust UPS to safely ship a feather.

I agree, and 99% of the time I do pack my own shipments. Problem is that since I'm working from home I didn't have access to the boxes/packing materials I had at the office. Plus I was thrown off and nervous by the whole 6ft social distancing, masks, etc. and felt like I had to let them pack it and just assumed that as an employee of the FedEx Office company that they would have been trained on how to pack an item for safe transit. Clearly not. I even asked her after she packed it if it moved around in the box at all, and she lied and said no.

But ultimately it's my fault. I made a stupid mistake that I won't be making again.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I don't buy-in to one carrier being better than another. I've sent several items via UPS over the last few weeks/months with no problem at all. If it is packed properly, there shouldn't be an issue. Do they really handle items that differently...on the trucks, in the hubs? I'm sure there are good and bad package handlers/drivers at both companies. My son has loaded and driven for both (currently with FedEx), and he's never mentioned any differences.

Some of you probably know that local FedEx ground is basically out-sourced to local contractors who purchase routes like a franchise. I guess it's feasible to think these contractors might take better care since the contracts could be pulled if there is bad performance. But on the other hand, one could argue that UPS employees are more incentivized to perform well over the long haul in order to keep their benefits. Disgruntled FedEx drivers can (and do) jump ship to work for other local contractors all the time, so not quite as loyal as UPS drivers.

In the end, I think it's a crap-shoot either way, and just depends on who handles the packages on any given day at any given location.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    For me ups is a huge pain in the rear. The local hub is open one hour a day for the public, yes, 1 hour, 5pm to 6pm. The ups stores are franchises and yiu have to pay 6 dollars to have a package rerouted there. Simply awful.

Hate to hear they were redamage shut glad Joe got you hooked back up
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.