Earthquake in the hood

Got woken up by an earthquake yesterday? or someday around 6AM. I sit near a window that "ticks" evidently at every minor earth movement that made me wonder if a terremoto was imminent. Sure as carp 12 hours later a 3.5 hit in my hood and woke me up. It was really close like so it felt strong. I got three months to escape this shithole and I am afraid I won't make it out. I ain't so much worried about that, I am worried about the "walkers" with their shitting on the sidewalks and their syringes. Welcome to Kali, you can't beat the weather.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Near a fault line or a frac site?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You'll make it out bro. We'll throw ya the longest life preserver ever seen....pull ya all the way to Iowa if we have to. ;)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    xschop wrote: »
    Near a fault line or a frac site?

Both, there are a ton of faults right in this valley.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Both, there are a ton of faults right in this valley.

Wow! Everybody can have their own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQelCIGYMI
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    You can feel a 3.5? Are you sure it wasn’t gaseous emissions from a humanoid life form in close proximity?

As for sh!thole, is Santa Clarita really that bad? I’d heard there was worse, like maybe Yermo, Barstow, Victorville, Apple Valley, and a whole plethora of places in Riverside and San Bernardino counties that aren’t Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead etc.

Sorry for your troubles (as the Irish are wont to say... but that’s usually at a wake or a funeral). I’m confident that you’ll make it out, safe and sound.
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    Kex wrote: »
    You can feel a 3.5? Are you sure it wasn’t gaseous emissions from a humanoid life form in close proximity?

As for sh!thole, is Santa Clarita really that bad? I’d heard there was worse, like maybe Yermo, Barstow, Victorville, Apple Valley, and a whole plethora of places in Riverside and San Bernardino counties that aren’t Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead etc.

Sorry for your troubles (as the Irish are wont to say... but that’s usually at a wake or a funeral). I’m confident that you’ll make it out, safe and sound.

You sure as hell feel it big time when it's within a few miles. Satans Carnitas is getting what the rest of the state gets just not as bad. I was at the cigar shop yesterday and some nut was about to get his **** kicked but I guess the death stare let him know I was not gonna play. I am too old for this ****.
  • Viking64
    We just had a 3.1 here about 10 miles away in Canada.
  • Kex
    3.1? Sounds more like flatulence! 🤔 💨
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    In the Northeast, because the ground isn't as shattered as, e.g., in the Silicon Valley environs, even quite small earthquakes can often be felt a fairly long distance from their 'epicenter' (such as it is).

When we lived in Harvard, MA, we felt several on the order of 1.1 to 1.5 magnitude originating in Littleton, MA, about 5 miles away.

When we lived in Milpitas, CA, we might not feel a 3 that was on the other side of the valley (say 10 miles away).
  • Kex
    The only one I have ever noticed was in 2008, 5.5 magnitude centered in Yorba Linda (which is about 30 miles away as the crow flies - if said crow agrees to fly in a straight line, that is).

Now that was hard to ignore! It felt like it lasted about two seconds, and then it was over, but for two seconds, it did feel like it might be a very bad thing.

Otherwise, the two worst earthquakes I’ve felt, by far, were during a sojourn in Tokyo. Brought the Shinkansen to a complete standstill for about a minute.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    I was sittin' in my car in Sunnyvale, CA, on my way home from work when Loma Prieta hit in 1989. It was very interesting. The whole night was very interesting. :|
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I was sittin' in my car in Sunnyvale, CA, on my way home from work when Loma Prieta hit in 1989. It was very interesting. The whole night was very interesting. :|

Alright, admit it. You're just trying to coax someone into posting a GIF of Arte Johnson on "Laugh-In". :o:p
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Got off work early? I was working at HP in Cupertino on the 3rd floor when it hit. While under a table I was thinking this is it. I was waiting for the floor to collapse and wondering if I would be able to grab a hold of something when the floor went. After it stopped I checked our labs to make sure nobody was trapped, and then left. After a while we walked over to a restaurant and drank all their beer, and finally walked home. Traffic was still a mess even late at night.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2020
    I was, in fact, rushin' to get home. Mrs. H used to work part-time for H&R Block, and she either had work or a tax law refresher class that night, so I was s'posed to get home & take care of the kids. 5:04 pm. I was about a block from work on Mercury Drive (EDIT: Just checked the map and refreshed my memory: I was at the traffic light at Arques on Lakeside Drive) when the car started to shake. I thought it was running (very) rough, but it was shaking more and more. I looked at the trees and they were whipping back and forth. It seemed like a long time, but it was actually fairly quick.
    The first thing I noticed was that all of the radio stations on my presets were off the air.

It took something over 3 hours to get home (Milpitas) -- all traffic lights on 237 were out, and every intersection was being treated as a four way stop.

The next morning, I had to go to Chicago, which I did. :p San Jose airport was open and, except for the very early flights, things were on schedule. It was a really odd day/evening/morning.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited May 2020
    I lived less than a mile away from the Northridge Meadows apartment building that collapsed during the quake of ‘94...

3kilzgmqjvrw.jpeg
    8a9pkpv95jts.jpeg
    j9qx7hsxiuq6.jpeg
    p0zxlryipkyx.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I lived less than a mile away from the Northridge Meadows apartment building that collapsed during the quake of ‘94...

3kilzgmqjvrw.jpeg
    8a9pkpv95jts.jpeg

I'd have slept through that
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Me too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    When we lived in the Silicon Valley, we had these big sliding doors on the closet in our bedroom. They would rattle on their tracks at the slightest seismic activity -- they were our earthquake detectors.

• afterburnt
    That building was thrown some feet into the air. Landed kind of hard.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Biggest I've been in was the 7.1 1999 Dagget Mine earthquake in the CA high desert. I was in Phelan CA at my grandmother's house. It was a manufactured home on a solid foundation. About 3am I woke to the entire room shaking and a 100 lb antique mirror banging like crazy on a hollow wall. I got up and could see down the beam of the entire house (70 feet or so) and you could see the waves comming. Very peculiar quake. After shocks were pretty healthy too.

My Grandmother, (rest her soul) was very used to large quakes just yelled out "Were rocking and a rolling now, hang on Leonard hang on!" Leonard was grandpa. I was hanging on to the door frame for dear life. I about **** my pants.

Very humbling experience!