Best receiver for old ahem vintage polks

What's the best receiver for old (vintage) Polks??
Front, Polk model 7 surrounds, and center Polk model 4's Thanks.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You're asking about an AVR. None are all that, but Marantz and Arcam are fairly musical if music is your main interest.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kachilda wrote: »
    What's the best receiver for old (vintage) Polks??
    Front, Polk model 7 surrounds, and center Polk model 4's Thanks.

There is no "best" per say, as everyones ears and listening environments differ. Aside from the ones already mentioned above, if receivers are your thing, B&K receivers are also very musical. Maybe an older Pioneer SC version also can be added to the list.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Two channel -- I have some opinions.
    Multi channel -- no idea, sorry. I'd go with @F1's counsel on the subject.

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    A Marantz SR-7010 AVR is driving my RTA-11TL's very nicely. Previously I had a Denon AVR-888 that paled in comparison.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • kachilda
    kachilda Posts: 44
    help I'm stuck in RCA and I can't get out... My Sony receiver officially gave up the gofer so I'm stuck reverting to my RCA Hd receiver. My Polks deserve better. Hahahaha
  • kachilda
    These are a couple I'm considering. There both used. Yamaha RXv671, $150 Sony STRDH770, $100 Any thoughts?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    These are a couple I'm considering. There both used. Yamaha RXv671, $150 Sony STRDH770, $100 Any thoughts?

I own aYamaha RX-v665 (it is with a friend currently) that has given both me and my friend decent sound for a while. Very good for an AVR. I wouldn't hesitate with that one, assuming it's the next model up.

IMO, I wouldn't bother with any Sonys that are not an ES model, every one I've had either didn't work or didn't sound good (And I've had probably 6.) The one ES I've had was great. Sorry, but I don't know what any of them were.

older Pioneer receivers are also very good, And any Marantz is probably a solid choice. Although I don't have any direct experience with those, barring one Pioneer SC-25 that is my dad's.

Welcome to Club Polk!
  • kachilda
    He's also selling a Marantz sr670 for $120 and a Integra DTR 50.2 for $300 I'd pick up the Marantz in a minute if it had HDMI but the Interga is a bit high priced for me for a used receiver.
  • kachilda
    I picked up a marantz sr5004 for under 50 including the 6 month trade in protection plan for an additional five bucks. I'm still trying to set up the speakers. I had them set up and then I didn't. Hahaha. I have the center speaker set up and I ran it through a speaker test and I noticed I got white noise through the center speaker but I also got a little white noise through the surround left speaker through the center speaker with only the center speaker hooked up any ideas? Thanks.
  • kachilda
    I picked up a marantz sr5004 for under 50 including the 6 month trade in protection plan for an additional five bucks. I'm still trying to set up the speakers. I had them set up and then I didn't. Hahaha. I have the center speaker set up and I ran it through a speaker test and I noticed I got white noise through the center speaker but I also got a little white noise through the surround left speaker through the center speaker with only the center speaker hooked up any ideas? Thanks.

I don't know what the problem was but it went away as soon as I got all of my speakers set up.
  • kachilda
    now that I have it all set up and am able to use it I'm glad my Sony receiver carped out on me my new used Marantz 5004 sounds a whole lot better, and it sounds a far sight better then my RCA I was stuck in. The one thing I would recommend is if you are in a living room are larger room and you don't have the microphone for auto setup increase the speaker level for the front, center, and woofer speakers from 0.0 to 0.5. it will make a world of difference for movies and give a subtle improvement to music. Thanks for the advice everyone. Now I need to see if I can control it with my RCA universal remote as it did not come with one.
  • kachilda
    edited May 2020
    Does anyone know what universal remote(s) will work with the marantz sr5004? Thanks.
  • kachilda
    Does anyone know what universal remote(s) will work with the marantz sr5004? Thanks.

Taken care of thank you.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Talk to yourself much? :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kachilda
    BlueFox wrote: »

Does that make me crazy :D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

we don't think so :|
  • kachilda
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

we don't think so :|

Hahahaha
  • kachilda
    edited May 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    You're asking about an AVR. None are all that, but Marantz and Arcam are fairly musical if music is your main interest.

Yes music is my main interest and I bought a Marantz sr5004 but I also have a subscription to Disney plus which I take advantage of and which gets on the neighbors nerves now and then when I take advantage of the surround sound settings for movies. Is there a way to turn My performance receiver into a polite receiver without giving up sound quality? Thanks.

Front Polk audio 7 monitor
    Surround - Polk audio 4 monitor
    Center - Polk audio 4 monitor
    Sub - Polk audio psw303