Well, this sucks, humbling

billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,163
So, I had my 2-ch playing in the background while working from home today (same as the last 6 weeks). Its in the other room, sounded fine. Went out in that room and noticed the music was mostly coming from the right channel. It was a jazz piano song so I thought it was just the way the music was recorded. Later in the day, I went out and noticed the same thing. Hmm. Lets try some other music. Whoa, hardly any sound from the left channel!

Went through the usual panic check wires, check another source, swap cables, swap tubes, nothing helped. The mighty LSA Statement has something very wrong with her.

Of course, this happens about a year out of warranty, not even sure that mattered since LSA was bought out by Underwood a few years back. I'm not sure it would have been covered. This is not a common amp, no service manuals, and the guy who designed the Statement upgrades is notoriously hard to get in touch with, or he doesn't bother to reply. So, anyway, looking at what could be an expensive repair.

In the meantime, I'm back to a humble little receiver driving the SS-M9. I had an HK 3270 that someone gave me awhile back. It has been packed away in a corner. So, free receiver powering legendary speakers. Unfortunately, the remote circuit doesn't work for the HK.

Luckily, they sound good with about anything driving them. Just can't really crank it.

3alao7z7eqrr.jpg

Hopefully I can get the LSA fixed without spending a fortune.

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good luck. Glad you have a backup.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Ahhh man, that is a bummer. I know that anxiety feeling when something's not right in the system. Taking a step back, it can see a little illogical having that feeling, especially when there's other gear to use, but I think it's because of all the time and energy and money we put into finding that just right combination. Definitely unnerving when something's off, and you're having to use substitute stuff.

You got a plan for thee repair yet?
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    msg wrote: »
    Ahhh man, that is a bummer. I know that anxiety feeling when something's not right in the system. Taking a step back, it can see a little illogical having that feeling, especially when there's other gear to use, but I think it's because of all the time and energy and money we put into finding that just right combination. Definitely unnerving when something's off, and you're having to use substitute stuff.

You got a plan for thee repair yet?

No plans yet. Waiting to hear back from John Tucker (Exemplar) to see if he has schematics to share or if he does repairs (doubtful on the later). I've got the name of someone else who was the bench guy for John and has worked on many if them. Unfortunately he is near Seattle (80lb amp) and also a highly recommended repair guy that is somewhat local.

My hope is John sends schematics and I can take to the local guy.
  • billbillw
    edited May 2020
    What is frustrating is that I've never really had any issues with amps or preamps in 30 years if audio... That is, until I spend more than I ever have for a single piece with the intention of never buying another amp. Murphy's law?
  • BlueFox
    These things happen. My Pass XP-22 preamp developed a popping in the left channel. While irritating, Pass fixed it no charge. That’s the nature of electronics.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    John "Smoothplate" Tucker! I remember him...
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Is there no output at all on that channel? First thing is check fuses. If one is blown get a multimeter and with the speakers unhooked check to see if there is DC voltage coming out of the speaker terminals. If there is DO NOT try to hook it up to your speakers.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • billbillw
    edited May 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »
    These things happen. My Pass XP-22 preamp developed a popping in the left channel. While irritating, Pass fixed it no charge. That’s the nature of electronics.

Yeah, I'd feel a lot better if I was dealing with Nelson or Wayne. LSA is not what it used to be. They went under and the name and inventory were bought by Underwood. The guy (John) who designed the amp is on the outs with all the other people involved.
  • billbillw
    edited May 2020
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Is there no output at all on that channel? First thing is check fuses. If one is blown get a multimeter and with the speakers unhooked check to see if there is DC voltage coming out of the speaker terminals. If there is DO NOT try to hook it up to your speakers.

It has weak, muffled output. I know how to basic troubleshoot. This is a problem in the circuit, probably in the pre section. If I had a schematic, I'd start testing points, but this is not your average amp circuit. John Tucker took the original DK Designs amp and elevated it with extra boards, extra transformers, and all kinds of voodoo.

But yeah, it's out of the system now. Won't be hooked to the ss-m9 until fixed. I'm not going to risk those unobtainable woofers.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Glad you have backup. I would lose it if everything went down. 3 systems until the lights go out.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited May 2020
    Sorry to hear that hope you can get it repaired soon, but having a backup is good. I have a couple of integrateds, a 3 channel Amp and a AVR or two plus a couple of receivers and preamps. Hoarder yes, should part with the excess but at least no matter the circumstance, I got back up. I'm glad you still got tunes.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2020
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that hope you can get it repaired soon, but having a backup is good...
    ^^^ Indeed. :)

Famed erstwhile O's skipper Earl Weaver (The Earl of Baltimore) used to say -- among other things -- that the secret to success was to have deep depth. B)

I keep a spare or two squirreled away, myself. :|

• BlueFox
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

Heck, sometimes people pack up amps and send them into Pass for absolutely no reason...

Yes, that was an interesting experience. A side benefit from it was I started listening to the music channels on cable, and it actually sounds pretty good through the soundbar. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    I’ve always wanted to hear SS-M9s. How long have you had them and where did you find them?
  • billbillw
    adb3da wrote: »
    I’ve always wanted to hear SS-M9s. How long have you had them and where did you find them?

I've had the SS-M9 for about 10 years. If you search around here, there is a lengthy story about how I got them in Buffalo while on a road trip to Michigan (my family lives up there) and got them back to Georgia.
  • billbillw
    So a week has passed and John Tucker hasn't replied to an email and two phone messages I've left. The bench guy hasn't replied either. I'm not really too fond of taking this to someone who will have to take hours to figure out the circuit design before starting to troubleshoot.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Be patient. I waited 2 months to have my Monos rebuilt.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • billbillw
    3rd call to John Tucker...waiting...
  • msg
    That's frustrating. The guy could at least call you back just to say he can't help instead of leaving you hanging. I hate when stuff like that happens.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Wait, not *this* John Tucker, right? I haven't seen this so I don't know what happens at the end.
    486nty0dc8s1.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2020
    I b'lieve it's this John Tucker, known in Bottlehead circles as "Smoothplate" for his... well... smooth plate pate (far right, in this photo from 1998) :)

n6ibfvgt0wac.png

source: https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/02_PEARL_Arch/Vol_16/Sec_53/Valve/1998_Valve_Vol_5_Compilation.pdf
  • billbillw
    Yes, he is a Mr. Clean wannabe.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Famed erstwhile O's skipper Earl Weaver (The Earl of Baltimore) used to say -- among other things -- that the secret to success was to have deep depth. B)

Earl Weaver... reminds me about a story about him and Whitey Herzog in the 1980's. Whitey had a great response to Earl who was complaining about the Cardinals stealing bases when they held a sizeable lead in a game... We'll stop stealing bases when you stop hitting home runs. Roger Craig also complained about the same thing as Earl did.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    Seriously thought about getting an LSA amp a few years ago. Following.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • billbillw
    4th call...another couple weeks and I'll just have to take my luck with a local repair guy.
  • billbillw
    So, It's been a month, 4-calls, 2-emails, also tried to contact the bench guy in Washington. Nobody involved with LSA previously will respond to me. Guess I'll try my luck with a local repair guy. At this point, I've almost written it off as a huge loss.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Reach out to Walter at Underwood Hifi
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • billbillw
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Reach out to Walter at Underwood Hifi

Walter was the 1st one I contacted. He gave me John Tucker's # and also gave me the bench guy's email. Walter is mainly a distributor. He warned me that John doesn't know how to run a business and doesn't return calls.