In case you didn't think vinyls had become retro-hipster-fashionable enough

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Did you just say vinyls?!?
    Doc, Doc, Doc...

On a serious note, that was an interesting read, thanks for sharing that.
    I like Hutchison's process philosophy, though not the exclusivity, i.e., price of admission.

My friend's son just graduated and wants to get a nice 2ch setup. He's getting into records. And moving to DC. Ambitious.
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I wish him the best. "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Interesting note: while recently going through my parents' stuff, I ran across what appears to be an audio recording of their wedding ceremony, preserved on vinyl.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Interesting note: while recently going through my parents' stuff, I ran across what appears to be an audio recording of their wedding ceremony, preserved on vinyl.

Nice.
    Do you have the means to transcribe it? I am guessing that you do -- and I'd opine that you should if you have the motivation & opportunity.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Vinyls??????
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    Vinyls??????

hey, it's irony.

Vinyl irony
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I like to listen to vinyls on my gears.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • msg
    edited April 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Vinyls??????
    hey, it's irony.
    Vinyl irony
    Or Irony Vinyl.
    I've heard it both ways. - Shawn Spencer

Just don't actually iron it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Vinyl irony travails prevail.
    I prevaricate, but to no avail.
    What the hail?

• msg
    I had to learn a new word for this and look up another for context, and I still feel like I did sitting in a philosophy class one evening, thinking I was just starting to get it, but no. It was just an Amsoil seminar.

q4h8pd2ce01l.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Translate into English.

I titter.

:p
  • msg
    Had to look that one up, too! Worth it.
    I'll be sure to work that into a conversation and have fun with it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    By the way, back to the original topic - what do you suppose Hutchison is looking at with his microscope? You think he's seeing into a groove in that photo?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    By the way, back to the original topic - what do you suppose Hutchison is looking at with his microscope? You think he's seeing into a groove in that photo?

The lathes I've seen all have microscopes on 'em -- I presume it is to check the quality of the groove cut into the lacquers... but, truth be told (and believe it or not), I've never thought about it before.

I will now be just like Calvin in the last panel of the cartoon below thanks to your query, @msg! ;)

79xo19byutta.png

• mhardy6647
    jg1gskb156v5.png
    y3ddqcbe8w8p.png
    3r8csc9xruu9.png

I mean, on an LP, they call 'em microgrooves, so it stands to reason that you'd want a microscope to look at 'em, right? :)

lg6cu904nmtb.png