Monitor 7s finally finished!!

Hey all....first and foremost......I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you that answered all my questions and helped me along the way with this upgrade. I joined this forum and after posting pics of my newly acquired Monitor 7s you guys jumped right in, made me feel welcome and offered several helping hands!! So again....THANK YOU!! :)

This has been a fun project....I upgraded the X-overs with all new caps and resistors, replaced the stock tweeters with the RD0194s and also replaced the tiny binding posts with some nice gold plated ones. Pulled the drivers and did the magnet gluing with some Loctite PL and did the Dynamat treatment. Not really ecstatic with the finish of my gluing job but it is done properly so I know there won't be any magnet shifting issues.

I must say that I was very skeptical that these Monitors could possibly sound any better but.......THEY DO!! These new tweeters now sing and the bass is more punchy and fast!! If anyone on the forums is thinking about doing these upgrades and it seems a bit intimidating don't let it be!! These were all pretty simple individual things that have added up to BIG improvements overall!! I will gladly pay it forward with any help or advice I can offer with my hands on experience. Just shoot me a message and I'll gladly respond!!

What a great forum to be a part of!! :D

Enjoy the pics!!

uoljoa9235li.jpg
1cwtdycppugf.jpg
bdzqifllbo22.jpg
iy6nchpkv482.jpg
wb6ngljnhoia.jpg
t63n11k8viyh.jpg
raskxz9uy657.jpg
ph85m8p6bt1k.jpg

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited April 2020
    Very nice looking. How do they sound so far?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Good job Rick, the 7 is a good speaker and with a few mods, great.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Nice job, Rick!

Enjoy listening!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    Awesome! Enjoy them!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Let us know what your observations are, as the caps break in. Mine are still in the process. We both missed the boat though and should've used these caps:

cpgbdlg85djm.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You did miss the boat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Great looking job Rick. Thank you for your help last night! I am sure I will need more in the future!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Like Jesse said, with a few mods the Monitor 7's are really fine. I don't know if you're through the break-in period, which will be awhile, but with the 194's and new caps and resistors you have some vintage classics there. Looking good!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Good looking set of 7's. Don't kid yourself, the mods are never finished, just on pause until the next improvement presents itself.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.