Need some recommendations

Options
brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited April 2020 in Electronics
So I am wanting to update/modernize my main living room setup (dedicated HT room to be completed in the basement this year), but I have been out of the upgrade highway for a while (I don't even have a 4k TV?!?!?!?!?) so am looking for suggestions.

I mainly just watch TV in this room and until recently haven't even had the audio setup even connected.

Here's what I have:
Speakers: Polk LSiM707 (another NIB pair across the room at the moment) connected with PSAudio XStream wires (what a @#$%^* those are to get to move)
Sub: Polk DSW3000 (currently won't power on - don't know what that's about)
DVD: Oppo83
CD: Denon 2900
Power Conditioner: APC S20 (tank)
TV: Sony 10ish year old 1080 set
Cables: hodgepodge of **** (I'll entertain 'good' cables, but I will not spending 'blow my mine and empty my bank accounts' cables)

While I have always liked my B&K, I only need a 2 channel setup as my main floor rig will never be HTish (it's a weird configuration and layout doesn't lend its way to surround setup at all with 9 windows and a patio door). The interface for the B&K is garbage, my remote is a tick above dead, so any new electronics needs to have a modernized interface.

Maybe updates are unnecessary (blasphemy), but I have loosely heard about new HDMI standards (probably more of an issue if I was updating my TV and or HT amps (later), but for now, I just want to streamline or clean up my setup.

I'm rambling.......i know until I go to 4k there is not a lot of reason to upgrade some of the components, and the plan will be to keep whatever this lineup ends up with and to get all new stuff for the basement.

So........help?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    So let me see if I've got this right. It's a 2 channel HT rig without a sub and an out of date AVR?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    Options
    No......it's not a HT in that I am not doing any serious/dedicated movie watching (just tv/dvr most of the time) and just want to modernize
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, will a sound bar be enough or something better?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    A sound bar actually works pretty good if you aren’t 100% into HT surround sound. When I shipped my amp back for repairs I started listening to the music channels on cable, and was surprised how well it sounded.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • brettw22
    Options
    I have Polk's Soundabar50 and the thing I never liked about soundbars in general was how to place them in front/below your TV without them being too high.

I am good with my 707's - the main thing I think would be time to update is the amp setup.....
  • F1nut
    Options
    In that case get a nice Marantz AVR.

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    I don't think any avr is going to do justice to the 707's.
    what's your budget?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • brettw22
    Options
    No specific budget in mind. I know I'll need to spend a bunch on the dedicated HT later this year, so don't want to go too crazy now......
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I like the way you write, you sound like the Governor. You can go crazy now and avoid the rush.

I have probably misunderstood you but are you moving all of your existing stuff to your new room? If so how many channels do you plan to run?
  • brettw22
    Options
    Current stuff is going to stay where it's at - no plans to move the contents as I essentially have to replicate everything when the basement is finished (will need a projector, amp, updated blu-ray, etc.).

Focus for now is the current room - need at least 2 channel plus sub that can drive the 707's well.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Audio Advisor has a nice sale on Parasound new classic amps. I have the 250 and the 125 and I think they're swell. Your 707's will like them.
  • brettw22
    Options
    As an aside, I could also look at doing the future HT setup purchase now with the plan to transfer that to the basement eventually - worst case I can relegate my B&K to garage duty if I want....