R30's or ?

Options
shaggypud
shaggypud Posts: 11
edited February 2005 in Speakers
I'm building my first HT system and naturally, I want to use polk's for all my speakers. I'm using the R50's as the fronts and I picked up a PSW202 sub last weekend. I had planned on using the R30's for my surrounds,but I can't seem to find them in "BLACK". I know..call me crazy,but I'd like my colors to match
Any suggestion's for a different surround and still keep the voice matched ? My A/V receiver is the Integra DTR6.5..TV is Mits-ws55615 .My room is 14'x25'.

Thanks a mil,
Post edited by shaggypud on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited January 2005
    Options
    um...the R series only comes in black
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2005
    Options
    you spent the money on a nice receiver and only went with the R series? :confused: Should've at least gone with RTi8's up front...

But for your speakers, go with the R20 bookshelves and you'll be fine.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    um...the R series only comes in black

No, I've seen the cherry version around...
  • shaggypud
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Hey Toxis...ez big fella..I had the R50's left over from my home audio set-up. I'm just trying to incorporate them into my HT system. I see that Fry's has a killer deal on the "CHERRY" R30's ,but I'd really like the black
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I'm not worked up, just confused. :D I'd save the $$ to put towards a nicer setup if it were my money... like you're doing now but something nicer.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • shaggypud
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thx Toxis..Those R50's were brand new when stopped the home audio & I started this HT dealio. I was just looking for some guidance from all the pro's on which speaker that will best work with my front's and sub (see original post). I'd also like advice for the center speaker..

Cya 'round
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2005
    Options
    A CS175 or CSi20 would be good matches for the R50's. Check this guy out at Audiogon to see if he still has his. CS175

It isn't a great center channel, but it will match well with what you already have
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2005
    Options
    R15 is a great match for rear/surrounds + they are not too expensive. I've got R50s up front with a CSi20 center and the R15s as surrounds & to me, anyway, everything blends seamlessly.

Cheers
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • shaggypud
    edited January 2005
    Options
    peersool, thanks for the advice. I plan on getting the rest of my speakers this weekend.

WhoooHooo :D
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2005
    Options
    the cherry version isnt listed on polks website :confused:
  • OnTheSpot
    OnTheSpot Posts: 2
    edited January 2005
    Options
    True, But I have them R50's and R30's all in cherry. They have them at Outpost. Great price also.
  • kevinfc
    kevinfc Posts: 16
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Shaggypud,

I have the same fronts as you do. And I had the R15's as my surrounds and Fry's has them on sale for $50.00 for the pair. I now have the R30' as my surround and CSi3 as my front and rear centers. Due to the fact I could not find the CSi20. But the R15's at that price are killer. And do not worry about some around here who say only the r series. Because where i am from there is what is known as a WAF.
    You're about as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop
  • halo
    edited January 2005
    Options
    You could always buy an extra set or R15s & use them as your front & rear center channels. The CSi20 is basically an R15 turned on its side anyway.

Outpost.com has the R15s in Cherry for $50 I think he wants to keep them all black.

Cheers
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Airplay355
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I cant believe i never saw cherry ones before. Maybe CC didn't sell the cherry ones? Idk lol who cares
  • shaggypud
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thx to all that replied.. I have found black R30's at the outpost for 120/ea. and cherry R30's for 60/pr... Aren't these the same speaker,but just in a different cabinet ? I also seen the same scenario for the R15's in black or cherry. Why the "close out" prices on cherry?.. I guess that's just it. Polk is closing out the cherries..Just my luck..after remodeling my house, cherry colors wont work.
  • halo
    edited January 2005
    Options
    They are the exact same speaker just as you said but different color/finish.

If you have a local Fry's check them out. My local store has the black R15s for $49.99. It seems the two stores (internet vs. local) aren't always on the same page.

Cheers
  • shaggypud
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Peersool, I think that most places,especially the good guys (around my area) are never the same as the website. Perhaps these places don't have a dedicated staff to keep the website up to snuff..

What are some good websites to check out all the cool audio/video gear ? I've been to audiogon,audioholics, just to name a couple..

Regards
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I have seen personally cherry R50s and I own cherry R40s.
  • halo
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by shaggypud

What are some good websites to check out all the cool audio/video gear ? I've been to audiogon,audioholics, just to name a couple..

I'm probably not the most qualified person to answer this but besides the ones you already mentioned you can check out ecost.com & pcmall.com.

Cheers
  • Jacrs
    Jacrs Posts: 3
    edited February 2005
    Options
    The R30's in black, for $170 a pair + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71571&item=5748809006&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Or you can shop here for something else:

http://search.ebay.com/polk-audio-r50_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQcatrefZC6QQa6Z-24QQa14Z-24QQa31572Z-24QQa10244Z-24QQgcsZ1578QQpfidZ1963QQreqtypeZ1QQpfmodeZ1QQalistZa6Q2Ca14Q2Ca31572Q2Ca10244Q2Ca31573Q2Ca3801QQpf_queryZpolkQ20audioQ20r30QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

I just got a pair of R50's for $280 delivered to my door through ebay. No problems at all, and fast shipping.

If you haven't shopped at ebay before I would recommend that you set up a paypal account with your credit card. You can buy just about anything there and it's safe, and the deals are there to be had.

I don't bother with the bidding stuf though. I just go with the "but it now" price.
  • Jacrs
    Jacrs Posts: 3
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by shaggypud
    Peersool, I think that most places,especially the good guys (around my area) are never the same as the website. Perhaps these places don't have a dedicated staff to keep the website up to snuff..

Regards

Shaggy.
    For audio, if you already know what you want, I just google it and compare prices. Epinions is a great site to get personal reviews too.

http://www.epinions.com/

As for camera/video, nothing I've found beats my boy steve here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/