Polk RT25i speakers - to sell or keep?

Options
I have Polk Rt25i's in MAPLE veneer in truly like new condition. I am the original owner since new (2001). Have the original box, manual, rubber wall pads, and packing materials (cardboard & plastic bags). Just missing the original rubber feet pads.
Does anyone know how many MAPLE ones were made, vs. the cherry and black versions?
My quandary is whether to keep for another year or two, or sell them now. How do these compare to modern $300/$400 speakers from Polk itself or Kef and Wharfedale. I'm considering a higher-tier model from Focal or Wharfedale ($400 to $800) that will be keepers for the next 20 years or so. The modern Polk's are too common. I'll feel better if I sell my RT25i's to a fellow Polkie that will cherish them, or need these to complete their
RTi MAPLE collection. The veneer still has the slight semi-gloss finish and even the bottoms are like new - always placed on a soft cloth. Just a flea-bite nick on one side next to the black baffle. And, never liked the raised baffle design. Keep the grilles on!

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    You need 100 posts to sell on the forum, according to the rules (see For Sale section). Stick around and it won’t take long to get there.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Welcome to the forum
    Agreed, and if you stick around your gonna go down rabbit holes that have no bottom. We are an unusual group.

To answer your question I never put thought into the amount of each color Polk offered. Maybe you can email polk to get that info but I wouldn't be shocked one of our hardcore polk members pull off some crazy number facts. Yes we have them in here and yes they are NUTS LOL.

As far as sell or keep, thats not something we can tell you to do. Some in here love the Rt line and some of us moved on many years ago from them. So thats going to be a full mixed bag.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,936
    Options
    I’ve had a couple of speakers from that RT (Reference Theater) line. The “i” version are newer, and “improved”, with real wood veneer instead of vinyl, and a modified crossover in the case of the RT25 vs. 25i.

The “rubber wall pads” you refer to must be the rear power port, which doubles as a hanging mechanism.

It’s likely, just judging by what’s available for sale over the years, that the oak black finish was about 80-90% of sales. The rest would have been maple or cherry. I’d guess that maple is possibly the most rare of the three options.

Although these are very good speakers, as mentioned in the review link included below, they are still the entry level of the range at the time. They’ll work great for casual listening with a standard, run of the mill receiver (AVR), but with better stuff, you’ll soon be missing out and wanting more IMO. They would also make good surround speakers for anyone seeking to match a system using RT600(i), RT800(i) or RT55(i) as the mains.

So, sure, you can keep them. Something you might add to your Focal and Wharfedale list of potential replacements are the Polk Legend L100.

Nota bene! The L100 are rated at 4Ω, and many receivers are not capable of driving a 4Ω load without damaging the tweeters. You might have to add an external amplifier to avoid damage. Similarly, many Wharfedale’s are 6Ω and not especially efficient, making them somewhat demanding to drive as well. Focals are 8Ω, and very efficient, so you shouldn’t encounter any problems powering those.
    Alea jacta est!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,455
    Options
    I have a set of RT25i set up in a small home office setup. They're a little big for a desk, but make for a pretty decent little system when used with a sub. The tweeter in the "i" version is what makes the RTxxi a pretty smooth little speaker.

The RTxxi series has a different sound than the RTixx - note placement of the "i" int eh series.

I was curious as to how the RT25i would compare to the Signature S15, which would probably be its closest comparable counterpart in the current Polk line. Similar specs, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Never got around to testing them. I do have some S20s that sound pretty good for combo use, where as RTi series speakers didn't work for me for music.
    I disabled signatures.