Monitor 5JR+ Series 2 Upgrades / Recap?

kistler_paul
kistler_paul Posts: 30
edited April 2020 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi!

So having some issues with one of my tweeters and am going to replace them both. These are the 5JR+ Series 2 so they have the SL2500 tweeters in them, I am going to replace them with the RDO198-1 Tweeters..

I have now opened that can of worms and looking into different upgrades/mods..

Thinking of recapping with Clarity Cap CSA 2x 6.8uF (caps in Parallel to make 13.3uF) to replace the 13.5uF as well as replace the resistor with a Mills 1ohm Resistor all from partsconnexion.com

Am I on the right path? These will be the first set of speakers I've really messed with but fairly decent at soldering so confident I can successfully recap them!

What other kind of upgrades can I do on these speakers? Or any advice!

Thanks!!

Current Setup
Speakers - Monitor 5JR+ Series 2 w/ RDO198's
- RTA 12b w/ Peerless Tweets
- AV Setup with Montior 7's & 4a's
Integrated Amplifier - NAD 3130
TurnTable - Panasonic RD-2900 w/ AT-VM95E
Streaming - Roon > Chromecast Audio > Topping D30 DAC
Cassette Deck - NAD 6240 > ADC Sound Shaper 10 Band EQ
CD Playback - Sony BluRay > Topping D30 DAC

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    You should have a small blue or mustard colored device on the crossover board called a polyswitch (thermal reset switch) that is failing causing the tweeter to cut out. If you can control yourself with the volume knob replace it with a 0.5 ohm resistor. Otherwise replace with like/kind.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kistler_paul
    kistler_paul Posts: 30
    edited April 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    You should have a small blue or mustard colored device on the crossover board called a polyswitch (thermal reset switch) that is failing causing the tweeter to cut out. If you can control yourself with the volume knob replace it with a 0.5 ohm resistor. Otherwise replace with like/kind.

I switched the tweeters and left everything else the same and the problem followed telling me that the tweeter itself is the issue and not the crossover?

Also, I did not see a polyswitch.. just the 1 ohm resistor and the 13.5 uF cap..?
    Current Setup
  • F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »

I switched the tweeters and left everything else the same and the problem followed telling me that the tweeter itself is the issue and not the crossover?

Also, I did not see a polyswitch.. just the 1 ohm resistor and the 13.5 uF cap..?

Could very well be a bad tweeter. I didn't know if you were aware of the possibility of a polyswitch.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't one, but what do I know. Got a pic of the crossover?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    No Polyswitches on the Rev-2 Monitors. 2 X 6.8 = 13.6uf, which is fine. The CSAs will sound wonderful.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited April 2020
    I'm not trying to throw a wrench into things but if you have two capacitors in parallel, the tolerances add. With the ClarityCap CSA's the tolerance is +/- 3% so worst case scenario on the upside you could end up with (vs 13.5uf desired) 14.0 uF, and on the downside 13.2uF (not so bad really). Sonicaps from Sonicraft have the option of precision matching for a little bit more $. Maybe partsconexion might work with you on that if you ask them but I don't know.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • I'm not trying to throw a wrench into things but if you have two capacitors in parallel, the tolerances add. With the ClarityCap CSA's the tolerance is +/- 3% so worst case scenario on the upside you could end up with (vs 13.5uf desired) 14.0 uF, and on the downside 13.2uF (not so bad really). Sonicaps from Sonicraft have the option of precision matching for a little bit more $. Maybe partsconexion might work with you on that if you ask them but I don't know.

That's in interesting and valid point actually. I will look into that..

I have read the sonicaps may sound "warmer" /"less detail" and the claritycaps may sound more "bright" /"detailed".... Do you guys have any input on that? That may impact my choice as well...
    Current Setup
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    I'm new to this recapping thing and I've only done my 7B crossovers and I did them with the sonicaps. I have to say that they are pretty bright and detailed, but I obviously haven't compared them to anything but my old 1979 vintage caps that Polk supplied with. This site is full of one man's opinions on tons of different caps and he doesn't directly compare those two to each other but you might want to look at it anyway. http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Finally got thru on the phone to Polk... A set of RDO-198-1's on the way! B)

Also, Can confirm they are still giving a club Polk discount by phone! Ended up being 96$ for both tweeters.

I have reached out about custom claritycap values but waiting to hear back I've narrowed it down these two cap choices...

4 x 6.8uF ClarityCap = 38$+9$ Shipping from Partsconnexion.com

2 x 13.5uF Custom Value SoniCap Gen 1 = 61$+10$ Shipping from SonicCraft.com

Are Mills Resistors the way to go for resistors regardless of which caps I go with?

Thanks! These bad boys are gonna rock so much more now.. (I hope) lol!

I only paid 75$ for these speakers originally anyways so don't mind the mods
    Current Setup
  • F1nut
    edited April 2020
    Clarity doesn't do custom values unless you place a minimum order of whatever quantity they say. Could be 10, could be 100.

Sonic Craft, makers of Sonicap do not make custom values either. What they can try to do is find 13uF caps that are closer to 13.5uF.

Yes, get the Mills.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Clarity doesn't do custom values unless you place a minimum order of whatever quantity they say. Could be 10, could be 100.

Sonic Craft, makers of Sonicap do not make custom values either. What they can try to do is find 13uF caps that are closer to 13.5uF.

Yes, get the Mills.

Ohh, I see! Makes sense to me. Thanks!
    Current Setup
  • F1nut wrote: »

Yes, get the Mills.

Ohh, I see! Makes sense to me. Thanks!

You were right....! Just got an email back from them

"The MOQ (minimum order quantity) for a custom value is too high

To make these type of values, you can parallel a 12uf and 1.5uf.

Or a 6.8uf and 7.5uf.

Paralleling has no negative consequences…in fact, there a few positives"

Seems like the 6.8+7.5 option would be to much...

The 12+1.5uF ClarityCap option
    OR
    6.8+6.8uF ClarityCap option seem like my best bet.
    Current Setup
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Yes paralleling does have consequences when you parallel a large cap and a small value cap you end up with a bypass cap.....

If you need to parallel then try to get as close to half value as you can.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yes paralleling does have consequences when you parallel a large cap and a small value cap you end up with a bypass cap.....

If you need to parallel then try to get as close to half value as you can.

6.8uF it is! B)
    Current Setup
  • Just got the RDO-198's in - and - WOW!

What a difference two working tweeters make, eh? o:)

And the RDO-198's make these babies sound better then I have heard them! Hearing some of my favorite records on these speakers this afternoon has put a huge smile on my face..! Excited to see how/if the crossover upgrades make another noticeable improvement.

h9atc1yu62yq.jpg
    Current Setup
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    Interested to know how much the crossover refresh improved things?
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200