Options
13»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Posting is my therapy! :smile:

Lol... mine too btw. My comment asking you to stop is because I threw up a little when I read the part about raw chicken, but the Mexican bug soufflé pushed me over the top. :s:s;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2020
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Posting is my therapy! :smile:

Lol... mine too btw. My comment asking you to stop is because I threw up a little when I read the part about raw chicken, but the Mexican bug soufflé pushed me over the top. :s:s;)

Wow...you just triggered a memory from a blast from the past

Eating crickets in Mexico (Chapulines)....yes quite tasty especially when drinking a few cerveza's
    Ate them on a couple different trips to Guadalajara during El Dia de los Muertos...day of the dead festivals .... good times before the Cartels scared me away
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Yep! It was some sort of cricket salsa thing. Not really that bad, but very different. And just the knowing it was, insects, well, yeah, just gotta power through it!

Whenever I travel on business to other countries, colleagues of mine always want to take me out to the places with the most exotic dishes. Heck, when I ask them, most of them don't even eat that schieze!

Alcohol is definitely a prerequisite! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,554
    edited April 2020
    Options
    2 points for me. Liver and Cottage cheese. I have a nasty frown on my face just thinking about it.

I have a lot of friends from the Philippines and have seen thier spreads of food at gatherings. I can tell you I did not eat much! Great people, but I'll pass on the balut! Chichiron (spelling) all day with vinegar and chilli.

While at SEAR (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) school in the Marines, I ate a fat **** grasshopper (take the big legs off first) and the raw eyeball of a rabbit (high in electrolytes) i sucked the eyeball out of the head and had to bite through the vein/cord that attaches the eyeball to the brain. It tasted like a salty olive. We ate many cactus berries and chewed on white willow bark. The willow is like a natural aspirin. Near the end of training when we cooked up all the rabbits into a stew, I ended up with the liver. Needless to say I traded the liver for a potatoe. If it had been earlier in the training cycle i probably would have eaten the liver. God I hate liver!!!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    you guys that don't like snails -- have you had 'em?
    They are most nommy, but it's mostly the garlic, truth be told :)

When I was in Israel once, long ago, I was taken to an "Oriental restaurant". Turns out, this is Israeli-speak for Arab food. It was a fantastic meal -- but the best thing were skewered, grilled cubes of meat (for lack of a better word) that were (at least) as rich and flavorful as filet mignon, but far more tender. My host wouldn't tell me what it was until after I tried it. Any one care to guess? (It's nothing too disgusting, but a little off the beaten path, at least for a good ol' boy from Brooklyn Park, MD)

I ate some weird things in Japan, most of which were actually pretty good. One thing that wasn't good was raw octopus. The issue wasn't taste -- it was like eating a hunk of rubber; virtually un-chewable. I also had smoked octopus, which was amazing.

Doc, I got a guess: Was it what mom calls dad?
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options

When I was in Israel once, long ago, I was taken to an "Oriental restaurant". Turns out, this is Israeli-speak for Arab food. It was a fantastic meal -- but the best thing were skewered, grilled cubes of meat (for lack of a better word) that were (at least) as rich and flavorful as filet mignon, but far more tender. My host wouldn't tell me what it was until after I tried it. Any one care to guess? (It's nothing too disgusting, but a little off the beaten path, at least for a good ol' boy from Brooklyn Park, MD)

I ate some weird things in Japan, most of which were actually pretty good. One thing that wasn't good was raw octopus. The issue wasn't taste -- it was like eating a hunk of rubber; virtually un-chewable. I also had smoked octopus, which was amazing.

My guess would be goat.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited April 2020
    Options

This... 1000%!

I never thought I'd like, *gag* snails. UNTIL I tried them at a nice restaurant. They are to die for! When prepared right, the flavor and texture just melts in your mouth. And, a good dish will come with some French bread to soak up the garlic butter sauce.

Aw dammmm, now I want some "S" Car Go.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Oh, and there are a couple on the list I can do without, but honestly, I'll eat anything on that list. I quite enjoy several of the things a lot of people despise. LOVE me some raw oysters among most other things on the list.

We have one rule in our (predominantly Italian) family... don't dismiss it UNTIL you've tried it. Tripe included!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Yams should be on that list, yams are disgusting and anyone that likes them should be shunned.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Surprised frogs’ legs didn’t make the list.

It’s actually even better than escargot! 😋 👍👍
    Alea jacta est!
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    have had guinea pigs roasted when in Peru...doggie many times in Mexico and Hi,snakes, lizards, insects, damn time to start a whats the nastiest thing you have eaten.....and in my world balut still holds that title :)
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    With the snails - it doesn't help that that they put them back in the shells before you eat them. Do we really need that reminder??
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,130
    Options

Hadn't looked at this thread for a few days, so delayed reaction, but this post got me thinking of the business trips I made to Japan in the 90's. Agree on the (cooked or smoked) octopussy - exquisite. The only place in Europe I found that cooked it that well was Greece - squid also.

As far as Japan goes, the most odd culinary experience I had was when the boss (and his right and left hand men) of the subsidiary of the company of the outfit I was working for at the time took myself and a colleague out for dinner. We had a couple of courses of soup like dishes ( which were delicious), and then the main course was served : a very, very big fish of unknown (to me) type. As the high status visitors from the mother company (status rules in Japan), we got the honor of the best part of the big fishy - the eyes. Removing them with chopsticks was a chore, but when we finally ate them, well, it was like chewing through gristle to get to jelly. Both of us managed not to wretch.