Moving on with the New World

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello all,
As I sit home not working and seeing how all this is playing out, I started to think about how things have changed over the last decade and how we maybe moving in those directions forever.

So Streaming movies and Music is a thing and has been for a pretty long time now. Going out and buying physical media was getting harder and harder. Very hard to find CD's at local stores anymore as the selections keep shrinking.If you want a disc it's better to buy online.

Movies you could still find a pretty ok selection and buying online wasn't that necessary unless your looking for older titles.

Shopping in general is a mix bag as shopping in person was still possible but many choose the convience of Amazon etc.

Now that we are in this mess together, Online sales social distancing etc are a part of our current lives. I'm wondering how long this will go on and more to the point how will life be after this is over?

I watch videos on you tube like car shows concerts etc and think " I wonder if these kinds of events will ever happen again?"

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I hope it still stays relevant, pastimes that is. I got tickets to see Tool June 10th hopefully it goes on. I dont want nobody delivering my groceries, I'm not a make a list kind of guy when it comes to that. I do agree that streaming media is a convenience and definitely has its purpose, that being said the physical media I have still will be a backup should streaming go south. I can find just about anything I want online as far as physical media goes.

I'm sure there will be changes should this pandemic pass but it appears, that were not on a sprint but a marathon when it comes to that, I dont think it will be days and weeks, but weeks and months. Whatever the outcome when this is over a lot of the ways we have done things,will change significantly.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Agree with Steve and the power grab keeps phasing on in. Meet the new boss..same as the old boss and so on. Strap on everyone and keep the tunes a Rollin. I sure am 🎶 🎶
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The tough part for me is the lack of face to face and physical interaction. I work in the collegiate sports realm and the relationships that we forge after spending so much time with these young men and women, coaches, staff, administration and even the fans is literally the reason I got into the job. I am not a sit behind the desk person. I loved getting outside, on the court, in the locker room, going on trips, seeing their successes and helping them through the failures......but most of that requires in person interaction. My wife and I were invited to be in the wedding of one of the former player here - he is like a son to me. He has been overseas playing ball and we text and call but it isn't the same obviously. His wedding was supposed to be in June and they just canceled......was going to be one of the few times I would have been able to see them this year.

It seems trivial and I took it for granted I guess.....but I thrive on face to face physical connection with staff, student athletes, coaches, and administration. Gone are the days of having a question and popping up to the office to walk in and ask it. Now we have to schedule a zoom call. It's a sign of the times I guess and getting up to date with technology, but I always much preferred the face to face. Obviously, I am confident we will get back to that again, but it has been an adjustment to be sure.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »
    The tough part for me is the lack of face to face and physical interaction. I work in the collegiate sports realm and the relationships that we forge after spending so much time with these young men and women, coaches, staff, administration and even the fans is literally the reason I got into the job. I am not a sit behind the desk person. I loved getting outside, on the court, in the locker room, going on trips, seeing their successes and helping them through the failures......but most of that requires in person interaction. My wife and I were invited to be in the wedding of one of the former player here - he is like a son to me. He has been overseas playing ball and we text and call but it isn't the same obviously. His wedding was supposed to be in June and they just canceled......was going to be one of the few times I would have been able to see them this year.

It seems trivial and I took it for granted I guess.....but I thrive on face to face physical connection with staff, student athletes, coaches, and administration. Gone are the days of having a question and popping up to the office to walk in and ask it. Now we have to schedule a zoom call. It's a sign of the times I guess and getting up to date with technology, but I always much preferred the face to face. Obviously, I am confident we will get back to that again, but it has been an adjustment to be sure.
    The adjustment part is what I'm worried about. I think this might put fear in more people then not to socialize.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.