Completed the ugrade of the 2.3s

Options
2»

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    lawdogg wrote: »
    For spikes - I used 1/4-20 hanger bolts on my 3.1TLs and they work really well. $3 for all 4.
    I sharpened-up some Grade 8 hardware-store bolts on a bench grinder after cutting the heads off. Then added T-nuts to the speaker-cabinet bases, locked my "spikes" with jam-nuts, and called it "good-to-go" about ten or fifteen years ago.

Three "spikes" per cabinet, so six bolts, six T-nuts, six nuts.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    lawdogg wrote: »
    For spikes - I used 1/4-20 hanger bolts on my 3.1TLs and they work really well. $3 for all 4.
    I sharpened-up some Grade 8 hardware-store bolts on a bench grinder after cutting the heads off. Then added T-nuts to the speaker-cabinet bases, locked my "spikes" with jam-nuts, and called it "good-to-go" about ten or fifteen years ago.

Three "spikes" per cabinet, so six bolts, six T-nuts, six nuts.

I did the same thing for my Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Grade 8 bolts are probably much harder than commercial "audiophile" eye candy spikes and make for more of a point contact. Below the spikes is my seismic mass with 2 minimally inflated 16" bicycle tubes to stop vibration transmission to the floor.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    Options
    Nice work! Upgraded my 2.3's about 8 years ago with Sonicaps and RDO-194's, but have just recently been able to upgrade the turntable and enjoy these bad boys again due to CoronaCation. They are just sooo good.wvzaj5clchq1.jpeg
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Sonic Frontiers... Nice stuff!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    BSUfbfan wrote: »
    Nice work! Upgraded my 2.3's about 8 years ago with Sonicaps and RDO-194's, but have just recently been able to upgrade the turntable and enjoy these bad boys again due to CoronaCation. They are just sooo good.

What is that on some of the MW driver cones? Is that similar to the piece that Polk puts on some of their passive drivers?

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Sound_Recluse
    Sound_Recluse Posts: 74
    edited April 2020
    Options
    As far as I know they were only used on the sda 2.3s. They are known as sub bass drivers. Polk mw6513s. I dont know why they aren't on any of the others such as 1.2 1.2tl 2.3tl 3.1tl just the 2.3s. They have donuts attached to the cone for added weight. I actually havent seen them on any other models of polk
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Huh....interesting! What are the donuts made of? Plastic....foam?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The donuts were added to the top and bottom stereo drivers to limit their frequency response. It was a method of tuning.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    Options
    Paper/cardboard. They were only used on the original 2.3's. I haven't heard a set of the TL's (which didn't use them) to compare but my modded 2.3's sounded great but had almost too much bass for me. Probably could have been balanced out with a different amp/pre combo.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Paper/cardboard. They were only used on the original 2.3's. I haven't heard a set of the TL's (which didn't use them) to compare but my modded 2.3's sounded great but had almost too much bass for me. Probably could have been balanced out with a different amp/pre combo.

Very true! I sold high end A/V in college when I didn't have a pot to pisS in, and the 2.3's were always a huge seller because of the bass response. When I was in my 30's and could finally buy that exact system I use to demo, I looked for 2.3's for months before finally finding them mint on Craigslist 1,000 miles away... thank goodness for Yellow Freight! Now with modded crossovers and RDO tweeters, these things are ridiculously good IMO.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    So the rdo' arrived today. I'm getting ready to install. I cant wait to hear the difference in sound that everyone says. I can now say the upgrade is complete. One question polkies, do these need to burn in?
    trkf2v6g3289.jpg
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    Rdo's came in today.. I'm getting ready to install.. can wait to hear them. Now I can say the upgrade is complete. Really excited to hear the difference. One question polkies, is there a burn in period on these?
    5h5qnzyg5n8n.jpg
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Some say there is. I thought they sounded great right out of the box.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    They do sound great out of the box but they do get better at about 75hrs.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Rdo's came in today.. I'm getting ready to install.. can wait to hear them. Now I can say the upgrade is complete. Really excited to hear the difference. One question polkies, is there a burn in period on these?
    5h5qnzyg5n8n.jpg

Those are the wrong ones.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sound_Recluse
    Options
    Nice.. Thanks guys.. and yes they do sound great
  • F1nut
    Options
    Just kidding 😆

President of Club Polk