Relocating turntable - question

CottageChz
CottageChz Posts: 362
edited March 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
My turntable is currently on the bottom shelf of my rack, where it doesn’t get a lot of use because it’s inconvenient. However, that is the only spot on the rack that will accommodate it. It is currently connected to the phono stage on my Parasound Integrated, also located on the rack.

I would like to move the turntable, and only the turntable, to the top of my record shelf, which is about ten feet away. I’ve read that long RCA runs from the turntable are a bad idea because the unamplified signal is very susceptible to interference. Thus, it seems like my best solution is to buy a phono preamp, place it on the record shelf next to the turntable, and have the ~10 foot RCA run from the phono preamp to my integrated.

I’m sure someone else here has run into a similar situation. Is there anything else that I should consider before I go ahead with that plan?

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Seems like that will work fine for you. Is the record shelf stable?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    That is the best approach. For those 10ft interconnect runs, choose 'directional' type cables in order to minimize interference there.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • CottageChz
    The record shelf is stable. It may actually be more stable than the turntable’s current location on my cheapo tv stand. The weight of all the records on the shelf stabilizing it and the distance from the speakers will probably be an improvement.

Will take a look into the directional cables. Did not know that was a thing.

Thanks.
  • jdjohn
    Basically with directional cables, the shielding is shunted to ground at the source end (not destination end). That way, any stray interference picked-up by the shielding gets dead-ended away from the destination component (i.e., doesn't flow into the input jack).
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Noise "drained" to the low impedance end is a good way to think of it.

Ground is a very nebulous term. "Closer to ground" is a pretty good way to think of it. In wiring, it's really more correct to call it a drain than a ground. It helps to think that way and it leads to keeping the concepts easier to think thru what you're doing.

Low impedance means it's not very likely to pick up noise. Very sensitive, or termed high impedance, means it is very susceptible to receiving the noise and adding it to the signal. So draining to the lower point, or output, is the desired normally.

Inputs...impedances 10K on up into the megs...noise can crosstalk into. Outputs...50 ohm to maybe 500 ohm typical. Less likely to be able to "receive" the noise being drained.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Have you considered using a wall mounted turntable shelf? There are frequently added benefits to going this route. Plus if you are otherwise happy with the current config, it may be less expensive.
  • jdjohn
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    Noise "drained" to the low impedance end is a good way to think of it.

Ground is a very nebulous term. "Closer to ground" is a pretty good way to think of it. In wiring, it's really more correct to call it a drain than a ground. It helps to think that way and it leads to keeping the concepts easier to think thru what you're doing.

Low impedance means it's not very likely to pick up noise. Very sensitive, or termed high impedance, means it is very susceptible to receiving the noise and adding it to the signal. So draining to the lower point, or output, is the desired normally.

Inputs...impedances 10K on up into the megs...noise can crosstalk into. Outputs...50 ohm to maybe 500 ohm typical. Less likely to be able to "receive" the noise being drained.

CJ
    That's good info. Thanks for clarifying!
  • CottageChz
    Thanks for the info on the directional cables and their grounding properties. Ya learn something new every day!

As for a wall mounted turntable shelf, my space does not allow that in a place where I would like it. Also, the RCA cables on my turntable (Technics SL-1200 MK2) are soldered on and very short... they wouldn’t reach the integrated from even the closest place I could put a shelf, due to the width of my tv stand.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Maybe this adaptor could open up other placement choices;
    https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-gold-dual-rca-jack-to-rca-jack-adapter--091-200

I can't copy a picture of it... :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • CottageChz
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion @Tony M I think I am going to go with placing the table on top of my record shelf with a phono pre. It’s just the best location for the TT, even if I have to spend a little more money to put it there.

@jdjohn Do you know if Audioquest Evergreen RCAs fit the bill for directional RCAs? I don’t think they mention directional anywhere in the description, but they do have arrows indicating direction on each end. If not, do you have any recommendation for
    directional RCAs that are not that expensive for about 12 feet? Probably want to spend $125 or less, the less the better. Thanks.
    py433umdf2lf.png
  • jdjohn
    Those look to be very nice cables. I'd bet they are directional, but from what I read, they even take the shielding a step further.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Look at the RCA's they have arrows.... Is that not directional?
  • CottageChz
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I’d never heard of directional cables a couple days ago, so just wanted to make sure ;) Thanks for your help.
  • CottageChz
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Those look to be very nice cables. I'd bet they are directional, but from what I read, they even take the shielding a step further.
    Thanks for checking it out. Appreciate the help. I’ll probably spring for a pair of these once I find a preamp.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I have and very much like two or three sets of Evergreens. (3 feet each) Huge improvement over average dollar store cables, as well as Monster cables. :)

You will like those, I'm certain.
  • CottageChz
    Nice! Glad to hear the positive feedback. I have Audioquest XLRs from my streamer to my integrated. They sound good to me, but I’ve never pitted them against another XLR.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    CottageChz wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I’d never heard of directional cables a couple days ago, so just wanted to make sure ;) Thanks for your help.

Even HDMI cables can be directional especially in lengths over 20'. These are usually used for projectors
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a