Parasound Halo A21 Listening Impressions

Options
For many years I've had Tube Power Amps in the Stereo. Once I heard that 3D, Holographic Presentation, I was hooked.

My last Solid State Amp was a Parasound HCA 1500A. This was my introduction to a 'Quality' Two Channel Amplifier.

Even though I was quite happy with the Tube Amps I had in place, when Parasound announced the release of the new Halo Line, I was taken aback by the Striking Appearance of the Amplifiers, and the reviews that followed. I knew immediately that one day, I would have to own one of the A21's.

But, there were two issues, the price was more than I could afford, and they only offered the Halo Line in Silver. I'm a fan of Black Gear (I know, it shouldn't matter, but it does).

Years go by and one day Parasound announces the updated Black Version...know I've got it bad. Still can't afford a new model, but one day maybe a nice used one.

That day finally came a couple of weeks ago, when I purchased a VERY nice A21 from Forum Member, Patrick aka 'sgmsmg'. The Amp arrived quickly and in Pristine condition, better that Patrick had described.

With the aid of my Son, we packed this Big, HEAVY thing downstairs into my listening room. Nothing can really prepare you for just how freaking big the A21 really is. The sheer size and heft of this thing is 'almost' too much :)

Once I set the A21 on top of the Rack and started hooking everything up, I had a feeling that I was in for a treat. The appearance of the A21 is Bold and Muscular, yet Classy. For me, a piece of gear has to look good in order to sound good (I know...)

With my Son and Wife both working from home, I have to respect their need for peace and quiet, as both are continually on Conference Calls. I haven't been able to really 'Turn the Dogs loose' until last evening.

The most notable change in the SDA's was the Iron Fisted grasp the A21 had on the Mid-Drivers, everything snapped into a clear image, revealing every nuance the Music had to offer...in great detail, yet very smooth in the same breath. A sound picture I've always strived for, 'Detailed, yet Smooth' a combination that can be difficult to achieve.

I played several CD's and Streamed a few cuts as well, all of which told me that the A21 and the SDA's were a PERFECT match for each other. I've read this comment from several different owners over the years, now I know what you all have experienced as well, and also wonder why I waited so long to make this happen.

The SDA's were spreading the Soundstage Wall to Wall, and the placement and 'Air' around the performers and instruments was an experience I've heard many times, but not at this level of Timbre, Accuracy, and Authority.

Although I love that rich Tube Tone, the A21 has shown me what a Good Solid State addition can provide. The match between the Tube Preamp and the A21 is exceptionally good.

The Stereo has never sounded so "Right".

61hb0ly2odgf.jpg

uzaj911kc9rc.jpg

e3m6kbxuuvax.jpg

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    Classy setup. Rock on!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options
    Nice setup. A21 is great amp. You will see that it has plenty of power. I had one a few years back and really enjoyed it. It drove the RTiA9s with ease. What power cable do you have on it?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    jumpindick wrote: »
    Nice setup. A21 is great amp. You will see that it has plenty of power. I had one a few years back and really enjoyed it. It drove the RTiA9s with ease. What power cable do you have on it?

Just an entry level PS Audio Prelude for the moment.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Great review Mike... I too am a Parasound believer. I find them to be quiet and strong without presenting any color very much on the neutral side. It's been said before that these amps punch way beyond their price point and I couldn't agree more. I originally purchased mine to accompany my SDA 2.3's and they did an outstanding job. They are now driving my new Usher MiniDancer-2's which are 4 ohm and it still runs cool. If I ever upgrade this amp I know it will take $$$$$ to hear a sonic difference.

Enjoy!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Glad your enjoying your new A21 I agree that amp being a perfect fit for your SDA's. I have had my 2.3tls 2Bs and Crs+s hooked up to my A31 with my Vincent preamp very good combination. The A31 is now powering the front 3 of my HT, A9s and a CSIA6 and with authority. I so wanted to buy the one you now own, but just couldn't at the time enjoy your new A21 nice amp and great deal.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    Great review !
    It mirrors my experience as well with my 1c’s ....
    It really is a huge bargain , especially if bought used ....
    I only wish it would fit in my cabinet so I could drive the Salks with it ..

Like you , I was ‘freakin SHOCKED at how big it is when I first got it ...

👍

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Nice review, Mike!

I shared it with Phil Jackson from Parasound and he said it was a good read and appreciated me sending it over. :)
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice review, Mike!

I shared it with Phil Jackson from Parasound and he said it was a good read and appreciated me sending it over. :)

Thanks Drew, but if I had known I was going to be published, I would have used Spell Ck :D

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I couldn't be happier for you Mike! Glad your rocking the House B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I couldn't be happier for you Mike! Glad your rocking the House B)

Thanks man, I couldn't hold out any longer for a KWA 100SE to show up!

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    The 100 is only like 100 to 120 maybe in watts for the bigger SDA's maybe the Parasound 21 works best..heard the parasound integrated with Russ's 3.1's and they sang so wonderfully :) and me and Doug both were smiling & saying we like this combo best at Skips get together that night ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    I also have become a Parasound fan through humble beginnings with dreams of moving up the chain. I started with an HCA-800ii and then the HCA-1000A. My next move I want an HCA-1500A.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Another 1500A lover. Still have 2 that were upgraded by Big Sky Audio w/some of the compatible parts from the Halo line. Won't get rid of them...one in use on my living room 3.1tl setup and another in storage as backup. When I started contemplating another amp I was also on the prowl for an A21 but took a left turn in Albuquerque.

Tubed pre and Parasound are quite the nice match with SDA's! Used to run the Anthem Pre-2L w/my 1500. I'm sure your Lamp is icing on the cake.

Congrats and happy listening.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    I also have become a Parasound fan through humble beginnings with dreams of moving up the chain. I started with an HCA-800ii and then the HCA-1000A. My next move I want an HCA-1500A.

The 1500A is an excellent Amplifier. The last time I checked, a nice condition one had actually gone up in price from years ago.

Not many used Amps appreciate in value over time.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Great review, my A21 isn't going anywhere! Powerful, dead quiet, clean.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited March 2020
    Options
    So if you move to FL you are leaving it in AZ? It's not that heavy... But if you did want to replace it, what would you go for? I have a hard time imagining what I would replace it with...

Maybe one of these

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-laboratory-mc462-power-amplifier
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Thanks for all the Positive and kind remarks everyone.

This Forum is where I first heard of the Parasound Brand many years ago. My first 'real' Two Channel Preamp and Amp was a Parasound P/HP-850, coupled with an HCA 1000A.

I've had a few pieces of their gear since then. I really don't know why I strayed from the brand, but I'm back and enjoying what the A21 brings to the Party :)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I haven't really thought about a replacement...always wanted a Pass Labs
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    So if you move to FL you are leaving it in AZ? It's not that heavy... But if you did want to replace it, what would you go for? I have a hard time imagining what I would replace it with...

Maybe one of these

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-laboratory-mc462-power-amplifier
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I haven't really thought about a replacement...always wanted a Pass Labs

I think this would be a 'suitable' replacement for the A21 ;)

https://parasound.com/product-images/jc5_front_black.jpgxrvli3a9s1b0.png