Cats vs Speakers???????

2»

Comments

• jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2011
    There is some cat tranning tape you can get at pet smart. It is super sticky double sided tape. Almost like a sticky mouse trap. The cats won't like it when they put there paws on it. It comes in a role like a small role of packing tape.

And give them something better to scratch than your speakers.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2011
    jbooker82 wrote: »
    There is some cat tranning tape you can get at pet smart.
    Why would you want to change a cat's sex?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jbooker82
    edited January 2011
    Here is the stuff.
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755193

Here is an automatic sprayer. You just set it by your speakers. When they get to close it sprays them.
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751025
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited January 2011
    Spray Bottle, yelling when they get near, and closed fist hits when they touch. :biggrin:

Happened once on the 5's. I whacked him in the arse, yelled, chased, and hosed him down with water. Now the scratching post is in the middle of the room where they are sure not to overlook.

So cruel to de-claw... let animals be animals!!! How would you like me coming over with a pair of pliers and yanking your fingernails off :tongue:
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    edited January 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    Run some electrified wire about 10" high around your tower... that'll keep those little rascals away :biggrin:

I think Jim has the answer. Buy a tube amp to power the speakers, mount the speakers on metal stands and then run a wire to connect the 300 volt power supply to the metal stands. Oh yeah, buy a fire extinguisher with a "C" rating.

I'm just not a cat guy.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2011
    Maybe the cat will run away? That would be sad.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Jesse22
    Jesse22 Posts: 60
    edited January 2011
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Spray
    So cruel to de-claw... let animals be animals!!! How would you like me coming over with a pair of pliers and yanking your fingernails off :tongue:

Well in the case of animals being animals I might as well throw them outside and let them be animals or eaten by animals! One way to save my speakers!
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
    Samsung BD-C5500 (Don't Recommend)
  • mrbiron
    edited January 2011
    Bah!...The'll be just fine unless you live near an oriental restaurant. Then precautions must be taken! It's a matter of sticking to your guns and continue your treatment process as long as it takes. Loud noises and yelling have always been a good animal deterant and seemed to work in my case but i did get the cats when they were still kittens and was able to train them at a young age. Older cats are just stubborn.

Might i suggest urinating on the speakers and associated gear? That'll repel all animal instincts to go near.
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited January 2011
    Our dear cat has only so far dropped speakers or dropped things on top of speakers. In my experience, plenty of toys and water spray prevented scratching for now... Unfortunately, he's very curious and stays alone for hours, so gets into all sorts of trouble nonetheless.

I have not tried urinating on grills - that's an interesting idea!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited January 2011
    Mine are de-clawed, but one still tries to scratch on one of my rti10 grills. Over time, the grill cloth now
    shows wear. Cats do what they want when they want, and all they learn is to do it when you aren't in the room.
    If the fat one had claws and was bobcat size, she'd kill me in my sleep. The other one likes me
    and sits in my lap while I work. The fat one is the one that attacks the Polk. It's her way of getting to me.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited January 2011
    Try spraying some cheap perfume on the speaker base. They hate the smell.

It worked for me. The expensive cat spray didn't work for me, I mean cats, however.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2011
    Jesse22 wrote: »
    Leaving the grills off at first... I am not sure about that, don't wan't them to be able to tear right into a speaker.

They typically don't mess with speakers if they don't have grills.

All mine ever do is try to sit on top of the speakers. Which, with tall-ish towers, isn't great either. Now, i just keep my rented blu-ray cases on top of them, and they don't bother.

One of them sleeps on top of my tuner, though. Oh well.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • spock 2054
    spock 2054 Posts: 163
    edited January 2011
    http://www.softclaws.com/index.php?pet=cat

Soft Claws are a workaround if you don't want to declaw.

I have two cats - they used the grill cloth on my old sony rptv as a scratching post. The only speaker grill cloths one cat is sort of interested in is my CS2 and Velodyne DPS-12. After 8 months, they do not have an interest in the monitor 70's or 60's. I just keep the pocket doors closed to the living room to avoid issues.
    polk monitor 70's
    center - polk monitor cs2
    surround - polk monitor 60's
    surround back - jbl e10
    sub - velodyne dps 12
    sub - polk psw110
    avr/pre-amp - onkyo tx-nr809
    amp - adcom gfa-5500
    amp - carver av405
    display - sharp lc70le847u
    tv - silicon dust hd homern
    blu-ray - oppo bdp-103
    hd dvd- toshiba hd xa2
    control - logitech harmony one
    turntable - technics sl1500 mkII
  • jbooker82
    edited January 2011
    mrbiron wrote: »

It isnt even that nice. Since the claw is a part of the paw it would be like cutting your finger tips off at the first knuckle. They dont just remove the claw.
  • Bassphil
    Bassphil Posts: 136
    edited January 2011
    I have two cats and Magnepans. The combination has never been a problem. Luckily, my cats never seemed to have been into sharpening their claws. They're afraid of everything- even ants! I guess they don't need their claws :-)

I'd look around her place and see if the cats are clawing anything else. If they're not, then you'll probably be cool. If you notice other things in the place clawed up, then you had better make a cover for your covers.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited January 2011
    spock 2054 wrote: »
    http://www.softclaws.com/index.php?pet=cat

Soft Claws are a workaround if you don't want to declaw.

They must have put those cats to sleep to get those things on! I can't imagine...
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2011
    VSchneider wrote: »
    I have not tried urinating on grills - that's an interesting idea!
    Does wonders for resale value as well...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mrbiron
    edited February 2011
    I pee on everything i want to repel the little lady/cats from touching.
    Speakers, remotes, computers, power tools............WALLET *Rimshot* Hey'o!
  • Marcinko7
    Marcinko7 Posts: 121
    edited February 2011
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751025

Want to see a cat go 60 mph backwards? I put three of these along my Persian rug and the cats won't go near it. One in front of each tower would work.
    Denon 3806 Receiver
    Denon 3910 DVD
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
    Outlaw 7500 300w x 5 @4 Ohms Amp
    58" Panasonic 800U 1080P Plasma TV
    SVS PB-12 Plus Sub
    Lsi25 Fronts-Cherry
    LsiC Center
    LsiFX Surrounds
    SMS-1 Velo Sub EQ
    PBJ Interconnects
    Blue Jeans Cables

Everything was going just fine till my buddy poked the cop in the chest and said "did Andy give you your bullet today Barney?"
  • Jesse22
    edited February 2011
    So my girlfriend is pretty much the greatest and ordered me some Monitor 40 series II speakers! Problem solved :D! Now I will just have to upgrade to a 7.1 system. :wink: But I mostly need to upgrade my problem prone receiver.
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2011
    For what it's worth, I also have two cats and believe that they can do little damage once declawed.

This doesn't always work. I had 3 cats declawed and they still ripped up the furniture. They pick what they want to work on and keep at it until they die. Not much you can do about it. Mine picked a covered rocker and went at it for years. Even without the nails they can be quite destructive.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • fred7668
    fred7668 Posts: 1
    Why I have a downward facing subwoofer
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    Buy them one or two of these as an alternative and they will probably stay away from your speakers and furniture. We had two huge 20-pound brothers at one point, and they never went after the furniture, speakers etc. You have to give them something they prefer and that understand as theirs to tear into:

https://www.purrfectpost.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6H2pde76AIVmKDsCh3JPgCPEAAYASAAEgLfzvD_BwE

Sprinkle some dried catnip around these posts and encourage them to seek and destroy. Worked for us.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Nine year old thread.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Goodness, both of my shepherds that I mentioned when this thread was new are both running around dog heaven.

Now I have a Doberman wrecking ball...
  • skrol
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nine year old thread.

Yes, it was a flashback reading about my toddler son hiding behind my speaker and knocking it over and having to tether them down (speaker that is, not the kid).
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    butterbean wrote: »
    He is de clawed but is a puss puss

That is cruel, and should be illegal. I have four cats, and have no issues with their claws. That is why scratching posts were invented.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jesse22
    Holy blast from the past! No cats were harmed in the last 9 years. Makes me wonder if those cats or girl are even still around... Now I've got children and another cat to worry about.
    Polk CS1 Series II
    Monitor 30s
    Monitor 40s Series II
    Klipsch RW-12D
    Onkyo TX-SR308
    Samsung 46" LED-LCD
  • skrol
    I've got 4 cats. I put some rosemary in a little cloth sack by the speakers to try to discourage them. Amazingly they mostly leave the speakers alone. That is except the busted LSi15 grill frame that one of my kids blamed on a cat :/ ... I wonder
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff: