Monitor 5b grill peg replacement?

Hi- total newbie here. I bought a pair of monitor 5bs from Goodwill but during shipping all the pegs from the grills were sheared off. The grills are in good shape but the part that is attached to the enclosure is just broken clean off. I will attach photos showing what I mean.

Is there a good replacement available? Maybe from Parts Express? I’ve tried to find out in my own but if the knowledge is already out there I thought I’d ask.

Thanks!!f3xgwwkds1gs.jpeg
j6pavh9c34gq.jpeg
mroocun0scxy.jpeg
d8spp9tvpq0z.jpeg

Comments

• George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    IIRC, the ones at PE don't match exactly, but will work. Good luck trying to get the broken bits out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Be aware that Polk used 2 different sizes of round grill pegs with Christmas tree attachments. Most Ebay sellers don't know which ones they are selling. (Ask me how I know.) Best to measure one of your unbroken ones.

The smaller ones are typically used on the newer-style beveled cabinets. Earlier speakers use the ones with larger diameter.

(Earlier, still, uses a larger jelly bean-shaped peg that looks very different. Earliest of all, uses a hard plastic velcro-like pad.)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Are your monitors labeled 5B's in the pics? I'm going to make some replacement spuds out of billet for my 5B's this weekend.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • yomomu
    yomomu Posts: 1
    Newb here too. And realize this is an old post but the most effective way to remove is to carefully tap a thin straight head screwdriver under the tab of each side of the grill peg. They will pop right off just do it methodically. You will not damage your speaker. Just did all 8 on 5b’s and worked perfectly.

Btw you cannot push them into the cabs there is no thoroughfare.

This is a great forum have learned a lot.

Bought a pair of used 5bs recently they weren’t a 10 dollar garage find but cheap enough. Just redid one crossover and am replacing one tweeter with what I thought was original sl2000. I pulled the other tweeter and it is clearly the sl2000 but it is marked with a back original printed sticker as an sl1000! So, the tweeter confusion lives on!
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I used the ones from Parts Express on my Monitor 5B. I think it was the smaller ones.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601