MiniDisc Players

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
MiniDisc: an original digital format

Brought a Sony MDS-JE440 minidisc player back from my dad's collection.
yjyit5xm4qfx.jpg
Playing around with it, and doing some fresh vinyl recordings. Oh yes, my dad also bought a few packs of blank recording media.
43lkovkpewae.jpg
This is fun stuff :)
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Nice!
    I have a small (portable) MD player/recorder - given to me by a comrade @ AK some years back - and one or two blank MDs. I really like(d) the idea and I was thinking about using it for remote recording (bird songs, mostly, for Mrs. H) but never have tried it.

A cool sort of meso-technology, I'd say.
  • jdjohn
    edited March 2020
    Thanks! I had to replace the eject belt on this unit, but NBD, and it works great now. There was also a Sony MDS-JE510 in his closet, which is actually considered a step-up from this 440, but even after trying a few fixes found online, it would not work properly :/

I also found a portable MD player in my dad's stuff (DC wall adapter included, PLUS carrying case w/ belt clip), but it is currently in a drawer at my work office, under quarantine. But I can confirm it works as well! I found a smattering of country MDs, and one Sting disc, but wanted to try my hand at making at least one disc of my own.

I have to say, I am not disappointed in the quality of my recording results. Impressive B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    How's it sound?
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    I bought one of those several years ago in a vintage audio store. Thought cool, I have many MD's I recorded music from PC to MD for my portable MD player. Both Sony. Well, the format was different and the component player wouldn't recognize it. I grew tired of messing with it and never messed with the thing again.

Still use the portable player from time to time. Like when cutting grass etc.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I have two MD players - one is a portable Sony one that went for quite a pretty penny back in the day, the other is the JVC XM448BK legendary player/recorder. I will never get rid of that. It sounds as good as a MD player is ever going to sound.
    I also have about 50+ discs which are still being sold in the Japanese hifi markets today.

I love this format, always have.
  • jdjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    How's it sound?
    I was not familiar with the format, so didn't really know what to expect, but...it sounds really good IMO. The 'Stereo SP' mode of recording captures at 292kbps, so not too shabby. The ATRAC format is lossy, but not as compressed as typical MP3. I don't know what the file size is for a normal-length song. I was frankly surprised at the level of detail captured in my vinyl recording, and the amount of dynamic range.

I was doing playback on a vintage system, and although good, not the last word in resolution. I'm sure on a very revealing, high-end system, the limitations would be realized. And of course the source material and front-end recording gear will make differences. But my experience was that it captured quite well what was sent to it. I don't have any pre-recorded discs to try.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    When it was really popular (early 90’s) I would go in BB and see if any prerecorded ones were on sale. Never.
    They wanted an arm and a leg for them back then. Probably twice a normal CD.
    Nowadays they go for big bucks on eBay and such if the condition is good.
    But I have recorded lossless with it and played back on the JVC, really quite good sound.
    What might be interesting, is if I can load new FLAC and DSD formats on it and play back since there is a toslink. Above my pay grade. But would be willing to try.
    The Sony I have acts like a HD.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    Oh man, that’s a cool find! I used a mini disc player for the 2-3 years before the iPod was released. I really liked it.