I know this is a polk forum but are these speakers worth it?

Just wondering if this is a good deal.? If so I'm going to get them..
Ads L-1290
Crossovers, mids and highs serviced in 2019
He wants $900
8z9ecgbann2d.jpg

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    They are nice for their day, but the price is way high. You could get better polk speakers for half that price.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I've had to live my audio life this way for MANY years.

My wallet dictated to my mind what I could afford. I've been reading stereo magazines for 40 years and have a good memory as to what was considered high-end and expensive a long time ago.

ADSs always got a great review and I've lucked upon them at yard-sales and thrift stores for pennies on the dollar.

But I've never lucked upon a set you're looking at EXCEPT I did see and hear that pair at a fellow Polkies house near Raliegh NC. many years ago. I was buying his CS1000P center channel. Man did those speakers sound great. But he had them hooked up to a great amp or amps at the time. He also had some L910s I believe they were. I didn't hear them.

ADSs do sound similar to Polk audio speakers but not the SDAs or the SDA-SRSs. I've had the good fortune to own a bunch of ADSs ( still own a set of L810s ) and Polks of all series and ages, but not the latest of Polks 2 newest series.

I agree with @tonyb that 900 would get you into serious Polk audio speaker territory from a lot of series and ages.

Your listening tastes and size of room could be major factors in our opinion of those speakers you're looking at and what we KNOW from a ton of people here on the forum which Polk audio speaker set might fit your personality and living space from experiences.

Maybe tell us your musical tastes and room size you might put those in.

We don't mind other brands except one spoken about here so welcome and hope you can enlighten us about your audio knowledge so far.

The price seems high for those BUT they do look ( what's the word Dave? ). I'm getting old... :D

TonyM
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    The speakers pictured are 1230's which normally go for a little less than 1290's. Even if they were 1590's that's still a bit high imo; keep looking.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    I have L1230s and L1290s along with Polk SDAs. They are nice speakers with the soft dome midrange and sealed cabinets giving them a nice controlled bass response.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^^I'm wondering which one you prefer; the 1230's or the 1290's?
  • Oh yes I'm sorry I meant to type 1230 my bad.. I was just asking about the price. I'm not to familiar with the price of ADS or what they go for. I already have some polk 2.3 undergoing surgery at the moment. Just thought I would ask
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I now say buy them. Then you will have very nice speakers from both Co. from an earlier age. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited March 2020
    There is a pair here for $450:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649570530-ads-l1230-full-range-3-way-speakers/

I've always been fascinated by ADS speakers, especially the soft dome midrange. A friend had a pair back in early 80s. This is a highly informative manual and well worth the read:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/ads/l1230.shtml
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860

I prefer the 1230s as they digger quite and bit lower due to cab volume. The 1290s look a little tidier though.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited March 2020
    Dynaudio also made a very very sweet soft dome mid-range driver IIRC it was 4". It was sticky as fly paper and sounded so luxurious.
    FWIW
  • motorstereo

I prefer the 1230s as they digger quite and bit lower due to cab volume. The 1290s look a little tidier though.

Interesting; My bud that I got my 1530's from preferred his 1590's to the 1530's. Then he somehow managed to land 2 pair of ADS M30's which he prefers to the 1590's. I love acquiring his cast offs
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    I really liked my L1230s but watch out for mid/tweeter domes needing refreshing. I've had hit or miss experiences with ADS mids ... when they need rebuilding, it's not cheap.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)