PowerPort Technology

Tropic-Al
Tropic-Al Posts: 44
edited January 2005 in Speakers
Okay Polk gurus (and you know who you are). What's the deal w/ Polks power ports? How long have they been around? What speakers did they originate on? Has anyone ever experimented with removing them? Are they credible? And while I'm on a roll- same questions on Polks ARC technology-why have it on some speakers and not others? i.e. present on the RTi10s, not on the 12's. C'mon guys- educate us "newbies"!! (by the way, I'm 37 and have been around electronics for a looooong time-just new to Polk).

Great Scott!! Is he ever going to shut up so we can answer him ?!
Sony STRDA-5000ES
Sony TA-N110 X 2
SONY CDP-CX205
SONY CDP-CX400
JVC XV-FA902SL
JVC AV-65WP74
JBL PB12 ( Sub )
POLK RTi-12 (Mains)
POLK CSi-5 (Center)
Infinity US1 x 4 (Rear surrounds)
Post edited by Tropic-Al on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited January 2005
    The Power port technology originated with the SRT, and the RT series branched off the SRT.

The theory is, by breaking the air up along a base, flowing in all directions instead of straight out, thus reducing port noise - from what I understand.

It seems pretty credible to me, the RT35i had amazing bass, as did the RTi70.

However, Polk seemed to find the power port technology did not work well with their subs and went to a slot port (note the new series of subwoofers) - however the LSiW utilized Power port AND slot porting...

ARC port is used to get rid of 'chestiness' in voices, and I believe that originated with the RTxxx series, (RT800)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2005
    ARC = Accoustic Resonance Control
    they are there to eliminate resonace of from the cabinet.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/technology/arcport.php?category=3&speaker=164
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2005
    ....what they said, and it does work. Polk isn't a company that adds gimmicky stuff that doesn't work, it's not thier modus operandi.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2005
    To add; Polk did alot of testing in the early years of cone movement, and tried to figure out a way to make cone movement more linear across the surface. In their early adds (1970's), they used to show a typical cone, and then their cone utilizing ARC technology with some sort of sonographic image (for lack of a better word) to show how the Polk cone was more linear in movement.

The idea was to reduce distortion and cone breakup. pretty cool adds...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Tropic-Al
    And while I'm on a roll- same questions on Polks ARC technology-why have it on some speakers and not others? i.e. present on the RTi10s, not on the 12's.

Good question Al. I hadn't paid much attention to the absence of an ARC port on the RTi12s before. ARC ports were started with the LSi series and extended to the latest RTi series. I think, but I'm not sure, that the RTi12 doesn't use an ARC port because the top unit is a sealed internal enclosure that required no further tuning.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited January 2005
    the RT series after the first RT series started using the ARC port...

goes WAY back before the LSi series. The LSi series dosnt offer any new technology. Its just a bunch of technology from past lines clashed into one...

I still think simple is better (IE: SDA, Monitor (new and old), first RT series, etc)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2005
    You're right Sid. I didn't recall the name ARC being used before, but it seems to go back as a patent pending item to the first RT line.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2005
    The power port is designed to allow a more laminar air flow out of the cabinet for the lower frequencies. This helps to stop the turbulence created at the port and cuts down distortion and wave cancellation created by the turbulence.

The arc port allows mid bass freqs. to exit the cabinet in a controlled manner and reduces the cabinet resonance, which would create uncontrolled frequency responses.

Dig??
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited January 2005
    Less significantly, it allows you to put rear ported speakers up against a wall, such as the RTi6's wall mount.
  • Tropic-Al
    Tropic-Al Posts: 44
    edited January 2005
    So in other words, rear wall placement on models with PPT is not critical?Also, what's your guys general opinion on toe in? I have a 65" RPTV with my 12's right next to it and my sub in a corner. Should I move the sub next to the tv and the speakers further out and toe them in? PS Thanks- you guys ROCK!! ....And I'm glad you don't charge for answers,I'd be broke!!:)
    Sony STRDA-5000ES
    Sony TA-N110 X 2
    SONY CDP-CX205
    SONY CDP-CX400
    JVC XV-FA902SL
    JVC AV-65WP74
    JBL PB12 ( Sub )
    POLK RTi-12 (Mains)
    POLK CSi-5 (Center)
    Infinity US1 x 4 (Rear surrounds)
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2005
    Toe-in works well but be prepared to spend some time getting it right. Hell, that's half the fun isn't it?:)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2005
    Theoretically, your L/R speakers and you should form an equilateral triangle main listening position. Then you can mess a little with toe-in.

Check out Crutchfield's home theater setup section for a very basic explanation.

Also, try Polk's own website for a little better explanation of speaker setup.

Try some of thier suggestions to see how you like them in your listening room.

Overall, you will want to move them a little farther away from your television if you want a wider soundstage.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2005
    The test I use for distancing the front speakers is to listen to two-channel music with a lot of vocals. If your speakers are spaced correctly, the vocals should sound like they are coming from the dead center of the TV.

If you get too far apart, you'll be able to localize the vocals to each speaker, which is bad.

Regards,
    PolkThug