I hear people are hoarding because of Corona

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited March 2020
    Our favorite Vietnamese grocery store was out of rice. They usually have 25lb bags stacked over 6ft high. No fight. Good for them, as I’m 6’2” and clearly would have the advantage! :smile:

I’m a lover, not a fighter anyway!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Given those beer choices, I would have kept the TP....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2020
    Ha, me too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ha, me too and I don't drink.

Love the signal to noise ratio. LOL
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Yesterday I went to the grocery store that usually shop at. Got there about 10:30am, which is usually a time when it isn’t to crowded. What a nightmare. They actually had to have employees acting as traffic cops be the registers, because people were blocking the aisle and no one could.

Many of the shelf were empty. Kind of reminded me of the pictures from the Soviet Union during the Cold War. I actually stopped at just stared at people at the meat cooler. They were actually pushing a couple of employees aside as they dug into the boxes before they could be placed into the cooler.

Talk about boarder line insanity.

I picked up a couple of things that I wanted for dinner, and left.

Today I went back there about 1230 this afternoon, to miss the church crowd, and guessing from a couple of previous post a miracle happened. The vast majority of the shelves and coolers were completely stocked. They were low on bottled water, and I couldn’t tell you about toilet paper and cleaning product, as I didn’t need any of those items.

Spoke to one of the managers and mentioned that I was impressed that they were able to restock almost everything. He laughed and said they planned for this on the previous Monday. What they didn’t expect was people driving from over 50 miles away for toilet paper, so that will probably take a few more days.

So I guess I’ve been affected by the Corona also. I wasn’t able to get a whole chicken yesterday, so I had to pull steaks out of the freezer. They had plenty of whole chickens today, so that’s what will go on the grill. Sunday’s dinner on Saturday, and Saturday’s dinner on Sunday.

In closing, I’ll share my personal preventive measures with those that are interested.

First, is not turn on the news. I’ll get the weather from my phone.
    Second, stay away from news sites on the internet. I’ll self quarantine for a week or so.
    Third, play music a little louder. I want to make sure I’m isolated from any stray viruse talk.

I’m reasonably sure that following these simple procedures, along with generally good hygiene practices, will protect me.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Never really understood the ‘stick your head in the sand’ philosophy. Falls into the ‘ignorance is bliss’ category.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    .......…

Wrong thread
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Never really understood the ‘stick your head in the sand’ philosophy. Falls into the ‘ignorance is bliss’ category.

It's not sticking your head in the sand, it's using common sense, which is in extremely short supply these days. Living in fear is not living.

Funny, I just said pretty much the same thing on the other thread.
  • afterburnt
    .......…

Wrong thread

What's wrong with my thread?
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited March 2020
    afterburnt wrote: »
    What's wrong with my thread?
    Too much hiding under houses! 😛

Oh yeah, and there was that pic of Bud frikkin’ Lite from @verb, goddammit!
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

It's not sticking your head in the sand, it's using common sense, which is in extremely short supply these days. Living in fear is not living.

Media and cell phones created a panic.

Perfect example is emptying out the shelves of daily supplies.
    Gov't puts up billions so we shelter in place.
    Business make provisions for you to work at home so you shelter in place.
    Sporting and entertainment cancel events so you shelter in place.
    Schools/Universities close so you shelter in place.

This is all done to limit spreading, to track spreading, and to buy time to distribute testing, and containment.

SoWTF does everyone do....run around like the last day before Christmas and horde up in stores. Drive 50mi for a roll of TP causing mass chaos. Completely going against the grain of what was trying to be accomplished.

Same thing happens when you live coastal and a hurricane is coming. They ask everyone north of I-10 to wait till X-date to evacuate so us coastal communities can gather and exit...but NOOOOO people panic and jam us that are needing to evacuate when the live 100mi from the coast.

That's why I'm numb to this BS...;;.;.breathe people breathe.

My wife called me about the shopping spree 1-1/2 days before for the spread of go grab TP and long grocery lines hit Dallas area. That BS is faster and the worse thing you can do in these situations.

Makes me want to live off grid and appreciate the ones who do

I'll just go back and stick my head back in the sand.....Good Day
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2020

Being aware of the realities around you and preparing appropriately is not sticking your head in the sand. Hyperventilating like the world is going to end and hoarding everything in sight is not being prepared... THAT is burying your head deep inside the tiny little hole between your butt cheeks.

• afterburnt

Being aware of the realities around you and preparing appropriately is not sticking your head in the sand. Hyperventilating like the world is going to end and hoarding everything in sight is not being prepared... THAT is burying your head deep inside the tiny little hole between your butt cheeks.

At least their butt cheeks will be clean.
  • txcoastal1
    la2vegas wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Media and cell phones created a panic.

Perfect example is emptying out the shelves of daily supplies.
    Gov't puts up billions so we shelter in place.
    Business make provisions for you to work at home so you shelter in place.
    Sporting and entertainment cancel events so you shelter in place.
    Schools/Universities close so you shelter in place.

This is all done to limit spreading, to track spreading, and to buy time to distribute testing, and containment.

SoWTF does everyone do....run around like the last day before Christmas and horde up in stores. Drive 50mi for a roll of TP causing mass chaos. Completely going against the grain of what was trying to be accomplished.

Same thing happens when you live coastal and a hurricane is coming. They ask everyone north of I-10 to wait till X-date to evacuate so us coastal communities can gather and exit...but NOOOOO people panic and jam us that are needing to evacuate when the live 100mi from the coast.

That's why I'm numb to this BS...;;.;.breathe people breathe.

My wife called me about the shopping spree 1-1/2 days before for the spread of go grab TP and long grocery lines hit Dallas area. That BS is faster and the worse thing you can do in these situations.

Makes me want to live off grid and appreciate the ones who do

I'll just go back and stick my head back in the sand.....Good Day

This is what happens when the hurricane in your analogy arrives at everyone's doorstep not simply to those living near the coast. Imagine what the sentiment would be if the food delivery chain to the grocery stores would be interrupted for a week or two.

That’s what is happening now but nationally

It’s not about the supply nor demand, it’s about transportation and restock man hours.

Just like when the gasoline plant went down a couple years ago. People would top off daily, horde gas cans even milk jugs of gas interrupting natural supply and transportation due to panic. If you back off suppliers and transport will mobilize and get product out because the money is there. Long story short...slow the “F” down it will be all right

Long story long we did not do any favors in the spread with everyone running around with their heads on fire.

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I'm surprised that none of the stores put a limit on how much one person could buy. They did it here (St. Louis), in Chicago, in Colorado (just outside Denver), and in El Paso (I have family in those places). Even if people came into the store and grabbed 80 packs of TP right when the store opened, when they got to the checkout register they were told that there was a 2-item limit per person on TP, sanitizing products, etc.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • afterburnt
    Has anyone seen this in your area?

From what I have seen it has gotten worse. Good thing I have all of these MRE's TP included.
  • txcoastal1
    halo wrote: »
    I'm surprised that none of the stores put a limit on how much one person could buy. They did it here (St. Louis), in Chicago, in Colorado (just outside Denver), and in El Paso (I have family in those places). Even if people came into the store and grabbed 80 packs of TP right when the store opened, when they got to the checkout register they were told that there was a 2-item limit per person on TP, sanitizing products, etc.

Limits were put up the day after shelves were wiped out
    Wiped out due to panic instead of reason

• verb
    2afmu7xxyuob.png
    Interesting. Apparently he left the hospital after testing positive without permission.
    https://www.the-sun.com/news/539494/coronavirus-kentucky-patient-self-isolate-armed-guard/
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
  • afterburnt
    Slimeballs under every rock
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    verb wrote: »
    2afmu7xxyuob.png
    Interesting. Apparently he left the hospital after testing positive without permission.
    https://www.the-sun.com/news/539494/coronavirus-kentucky-patient-self-isolate-armed-guard/

Yes, being in the public health department allows for such things in a time like this. If you/he/she/they don't comply with the isolation or quarantine put in place to protect others, you/he/she/they lose your/his/her/their freedom for a little while.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    FWIW, while TP is hard to find, I've seen paper towels everywhere. Paper towels will wipe a butt too. Just sayin'...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • afterburnt
    And clog your sewage system.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707

BAH!

Fifteen bucks and a little elbow grease...clear it right up!

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ft-drain-cleaner-with-drill-attachment-66262.html?_br_psugg_q=drain+snake
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

One square per person, after that....let the laundry machine take care of the rest.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1

Burn bucket

• nooshinjohn
    DNSPY007 wrote: »
    jrcm4tvvvymu.png

There's always the shower, It's in the same room as the throne........Same as a bidet, But different..... :D

Russ and Tom don't have running water in the house yet, unless they peel back those blue tarps on the roof.