interconnect help

Options
I just picked up a set of early SDA2's (1983 dates on the mw6600x woofers). The jacks for the interconnect are below the speaker terminals and have blade style terminals on one speaker and pins on the other. The original interconnect did not come with the speakers, but the seller did include a cable of sorts. It looks to me like the original got damaged at some point and they spliced speaker cable into the original pin end. The pin end can only attach one way, so that's fine. How do I know which way to hook up the blade end?

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Hey Anitwork, welcome. Post some pics. That would certainly help.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Yeah, we need pictures.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• antiwork
    antiwork Posts: 6
    Options
    Here are a couple I had taken when I got them home yesterday. Apparently I didn’t get any that showed the interconnect very well, I’ll try to remember to grab some when I get home today.

mfws8wkuxlua.jpeg
    fkb8r9dq8xnp.jpeg
    rm8q8dls9i6n.jpeg
  • antiwork
    Options

I was mistaken about the blade thing I wrote above. Somewhere along the line, somebody made up the cable using blade style connectors on one end, but everything is pins on the speakers themselves. Here are a few more pics:

immcy2s14d1g.jpeg
    sz5axwpv8ub8.jpeg
    vjluj5wdgi12.jpeg
    x09jbb7pg9ke.jpeg

Basically, my questions boil down to:

1. Where can I get a plug that will fit the pins so I can make my own cable?
    2. How can I be sure I’m wiring things correctly? What I’ve been able to read on this seems confusing. Do I wire both right side pins together and both lefts together or do they need to ‘cross over’?
  • F1nut
    Options
    That connector was the original SDA type. You can't find it today. Your best bet is to convert to Neutrik SpeakOn connectors. A search here will show the ones to get.

The wires do not cross over in the cable.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    You know I thought those were way gone by the time the SDA2 came out. Since later SDA1 and SDA1 Signature were both Blade/blade I'm actually surprised that SDA2 had the RTA type. Always learning something new with Polk early days.

Heck I never though very many SDA1 actually came with that socket and cable.
  • antiwork
    Options
    F1 Nut: thanks for the info. Got some parts in the mail to build a new interconnect.

PitDogg: From what I can gather, these are pretty early models. Being that I bought them out of Central MD, maybe could even be some sort of prototype that made their way home with somebody?
  • F1nut
    Options
    I hope you researched SpeakOn here as not all of their sockets are air tight.

President of Club Polk

• antiwork
    Options
    I did, I think I found one of your old replies on the topic actually. As a general statement, I’m not sure any audio purchase of mine has ever prompted this much reading. There’s a lot to take in here.

On another note: I got all of the magnets epoxied and back in the cabinets tonight and couldn’t resist hooking them up to my basement system with the little Yamaha (cr-820) receiver powering them. Minus SDA interconnect mind you... dang. I’m already in love with these things. I can’t wait to hear them with some decent power and the SDA thing happening...
  • F1nut
    Options
    Good man!

President of Club Polk