The Story of Stax Records - LP box set

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,704
edited March 2020 in Music & Movies
This is a super high quality issue of classic soul, R&B and blues artists including one of the best blues albums ever, Albert King - I'll Play The Blues For You. The vinyl is damn near perfect, taken directly from the original tapes, so the sound quality is as good as it gets....highly recommended.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/149318/Various_Artists-The_Story_Of_Stax_Records-Vinyl_Box_Sets

As of this minute there's only 15 copies left.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    ^^^^ Looks like an outstanding set of LP's.

For those that don't want to spend $300.00. I can recommend this Stax 50th Anniversary 2 CD set.

https://www.amazon.com/Stax-50th-Anniversary-Celebration-Box/dp/B000KP62UM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=stax+50th+anniversary+celebration+cd&qid=1583562997&sr=8-1

c0dbmoyn19su.jpg

p5uhasw3ilyj.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Can someone call 911 for me? Jesse recommending a box of LP’s instead of SACD’s caused my jaw to fall off.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    edited March 2020
    What box of vinyl it is too. Out of the 8 LP's there was only one tiny tick, which may have been a speck of dust. Damn shame all new vinyl isn't made like these.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited March 2020
    All of that music is second child hood material.

Ordered the CD set. Thinking about the Vinyl set.

Thanks guys!!
    Post edited by BlueBirdMusic on
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • F1nut
    Now listed as limited stock, which means they have 1 or 2 copies left.

President of Club Polk

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • F1nut
    Exactly the same, but they are sold out.

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Among the greatest music on the planet & a must have. I keep a non stop soul collection all sweetened up in my digital library. Love soul music. NOT for everyone but definitely my cup. This set would be a good start to get ya going.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited March 2020
    Isaac Hayes "Walk On By" from his Hot Buttered Soul album is phenominal. Highly recommend this set and Hot Buttered Soul. Very highly recommend Isaac Hayes To Be Continued album too. Unfortunately there's not a good mastering of To Be Contiued, but the Japanese Mini LP CD os as good as you can get.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    F1nut wrote: »
    Exactly the same, but they are sold out.
    Yeah, I knew those had sold out long ago. It is kind of cool that several VMP pressings are coming up on AS now. But if anyone finds themselves particularly drawn to their selections you can always get them earlier and for a little less with VMP. The drawback is you don’t always know what’s coming and sometimes dealing with VMP can be a real headache.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    I received and have played the Stax 50th Anniversary 2 CD set.

It is great!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    F1nut , Albert King with the Memphis Horns! It gets no better, does it? Have you checked out some of Robert Cray's work work with the Memphis Horns ("I Was Warned", "Midnight Stroll" etc.? Good stuff.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses