The new PS audio speaker cables have arrived!!

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited February 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Oh my god!! 11 pounds packed... huge retail box.. extra connectors... very thick.. They look great.. however we will see if they will bend enough to fit on the speakers and amp// here are the official pictures of what is being offered in the demo program right now..
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• faster100
    edited January 2005
    Options
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited January 2005
    Options
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Great set of cables for being "entry level" from PS Audio isn't it? I have a set of Preludes and Statement Bi-wires and have been very impressed with both. I'll be interested to hear what you all think of them.

Word of advice on the bananas: there's a design flaw in the form of a swivel made into the tip right below the expansion strips. It's a very weak point and the weight of the cable is enough to snap it if unsupported or put in much of a strain.

Mike
  • faster100
    edited January 2005
    Options
    My concern is the wire is so big, of them touching each other.. these are the prelude wires... they just arrived and i just got them hooked up and testing them now... don't know if they need burn in, I guess i could jump start someone over and over, maybe that would burn them in :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Zero
    I moved the wire an inch (no disconnecting ) and the next thing I saw was big blue flashing lights, burnt electronics smell. Not good, not good at all.

Its great wire, but you gotta be careful.

I was going to order the 2M PS Audio xStream Prelude from Audio Advisor for $50.00....but now you're scaring me. :rolleyes:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,098
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I cant even use that wire.

Won't fit in the slot under the Definitives, and if it did - aint a chance in hell I would leave it there where I cant see it. Things are BIG!!!!!!!!!!

I might use them if my posts were 4 inches apart.... :p

Congrats faster!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    edited January 2005
    Options
    No pain no gain, I have a covering on one each of the connectors to assure nothing touches.. and i wont be moving anything while its powered on.. Nice cables/..// I just need a rack so i can equally drape this wire , the amp is to close to the left speaker and this wire "don't" move to well...

For $50 bucks... its a "NO" brainer... nice wire.. lemme burn it in for 9200 hours, and see what she has in her.. captain:D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Where did you get them?
    I might be interested in some.
    If I don't get a separate amp this year, I might try a different set of cables.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • faster100
    edited January 2005
    Options
    audio advisor, I had a code for 25.00 off the 75.00 buck price on the 2 meter pair.. and any order over 49 bucks is free fed ex/ups shipping... call the order in though... to get the free ship..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I got the 2M Plus speaker cables for $125 plus shipping from Audio Advisor. These came in a velvet bag! Better microdynamics than the XLO Ultra12 I was using on my Maggies (MG12).
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    My concern is the wire is so big, of them touching each other.. these are the prelude wires... they just arrived and i just got them hooked up and testing them now... don't know if they need burn in, I guess i could jump start someone over and over, maybe that would burn them in :D

The metal sleeve (brass) portion of the termination is isolated from the rest of the termination assembly. Throw a VOM on them and you'll verify it. No issues with those touching, although it does seem a bit disconcerting.

The spades, if used, are stage slotted for varying post diameters which makes them long overall. I was leary of them rolling towards each other - especially in a bi-wire hookup on my SRSs. No problems so far (this sounds like the cause of Zero's pyrotechnics, though.)

Since one of my amps is fairly high off the floor, I supported the weight of the speaker cables by recycling the nifty velcro straps PS Audio binds the cables with for shipping. I used a screw and flat washer to fasten the velcro straps to the back of my rack, then cinch it around the cables to hold any weight from bearing on the amp binding posts. Works well, costs nothing, and looks great.

As far as burn-in, yes I think you'll notice some subtle changes as you put some hours on them. But, I'll leave that for you to assess and share with us. Enjoy!

Mike
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The coupon code is "WN11825"

I was send a e-mail regarding the 2M PS Audio Prelude speaker cables, so I am not sure whether the coupon code will work on other lengths or other models from PS Audio.

I just ordered the 2M Preludes.

Next up, the TEAC digital power amp.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The metal sleeve (brass) portion of the termination is isolated from the rest of the termination assembly. Throw a VOM on them and you'll verify it. No issues with those touching, although it does seem a bit disconcerting.

Hey Blue, thanks for checking that out. I was going to do the same and I was wondering about that.

I use the spades on mine and I made sure to use a binding post wrench to tighten the posts on the speakers and the amp. One can do the same with a wrench or a socket; just make sure you turn off the amp, let it discharge for 15 to 30 minutes, and unplug the amp. You don't want to make a short with the wrench either.
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I am one who definately understands the value of great cables and innerconnects.
    I myself would like to see more serious audiophiles investing in more quality cables.
    a good neutral set of cables can put a gose bump on ones arms..I have seen more
    high end equipment with medicore cables
    and it just kills the whole thing.Good move on the cables man!
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Any more reviews of these cables? I just ordered a set of xtreme bi-wires for my LSi15s, they should be here by the end of the week. I've read good things about them, and at $350 for a 3m pair from AudioAdvisor I couldn't pass them up.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Right on, Phuz! let us know how you like them!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • farmerjohn
    Options
    "My concern is the wire is so big, of them touching each other.. these are the prelude wires... they just arrived and i just got them hooked up and testing them now... don't know if they need burn in, I guess i could jump start someone over and over, maybe that would burn them in :D"

Hello gentlemen,

This is a real old thread, but I wanted to comment on Faster 100's concern regarding burning in speaker wire. It's my understanding the quickest and safest way to burn in speaker wire is to hook them up to a disposable set of drivers (like the type found in a clock radio) and tune in static between channels. Just let them run for 24 hours. The static covers the full audio hertz spectrum giving the wire the entire gambit of the audio sound and voila, there conditioned without have to figure out which specific track on a given album will cover that spectrum enough to condition them properly. Static covers this spectrum evenly and it's constant. 24 hours later and Robert's your father's brother.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    farmerjohn7200
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If only that advise was given 16 years ago. Oh well.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    Options
    Are these for sale? Put me in line after Ivan.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    farmerjohn wrote: »
    ...and spare me your arrogance.

It's a 16yo thread....grow some skin
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Just having some fun, man. Hang around, get to know us, have some laughs. Take a bit of a ribbing from time to time, and do some ribbing.

I thought your note about static for burn in was interesting.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • farmerjohn
    Options
    Is it too much to expect a margin of politeness???? It sounds to me that anonymity is a license for poor behavior. I think a few of you could learn a little by suspending judgement. That is if it's not asking too much.

Try to have a nice day folks. I know I will.
  • farmerjohn
    Options
    I don't think it's ever appropriate to be rude, especially in any discussion forum. Perhaps I'm asking too much from the contributors on this forum. If you can't transcend yourself, then why expose your pathological behavior towards anyone? This is a forum for discussing all things audio, not for demonstrating anti social behavior. But if immature behavior is acceptable on any level here, then you people can have this forum.

Best of luck to you.
  • farmerjohn
    Options
    Texas....hmm. Why am I not surprised.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    LOL...If you were the Pope, we'd make fun...why ....

Because it's a 16yo thread :D:D:D:D

Hence the comment coming out of the basement...like coming out of the grave..an awakening ...etc
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hey, you've almost earned enough posts to qualify for the market!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    Texas....hmm. Why am I not surprised.

Whoa

Hold on there.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    We don't do politics here. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Relax and stay a while. Its a great group once you take the time to learn your way around.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited November 2021
    Options
    We have a new Putz!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Ok. So people here have thick skin. Lets find out just how thick it is. Mr. txcoastal. I hear your state doesn't care about women's rights to their bodies when it comes to abortion. That's awfully progressive of you folks. You also believe the covid vaccination is pseudo science, but you didn't have any issue with the polio vaccine or measles vaccine or mumps vaccine or rubella vaccine or taking pills for erectile dysfunction etc. You guys are really on top of things over there in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That's an extremely considerate posture toward your fellow man. Yeah, you Texans are the quintessential definition of the "informed" community. Isn't it time for you to kill a harmless animal???

How's that for thick skin?

Cheers

Glad you could pipe up after 16 years. You should get a great following. And by the way I’m from Texas also. Thanks for your uninformed generalized
    comments!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables