Youtube music recordings

OldCrow
OldCrow Posts: 31
edited March 2020 in Music & Movies
For the past few months, I've been listening to plain old Youtube music with RCA plugs from the cable box. I'm not sure if this is considered streaming, but it's not a pay service like Tidal. They sound great. I've played a few and switched back and forth with the CD and I can't tell the difference. I have found some poor recordings (mostly balance issues) but there are usually multiple copies linked and I've always been able to find a good one. Lots appear to be played on phenomenal vinyl setups. And there are links to album catalogs.

But the best thing is NEW MUSIC!!! At least for me. I had fallen into listening to the CDs purchased 20 yrs ago and nothing else. My go-to tracks for testing SDA effect are Pink Floyd Pigs and Mannheim Steamroller Toccata. Both start with extreme channel separation with nothing else. Have you ever thought the SDA was on the fritz? I have more than once. Once while experimenting with different speaker placement, I put the left speaker on the right side and vice-versa- I about lost my mind- I thought I had jarred loose a connection or something. The upside is I triple checked every system connection.

Some recommendations for impressive tracks:
Pentatonix- Daft Punk medley
Nigel Stanford- One Hundred Hunters
Jacob Collier- All Night Long
Vulfpeck- Cory Wong

Current system: SDA-SRS, Carver Crimson 275 amp, 10 Octave LP-1R preamp
Previous system: SDA-1, Carver M-1.5t amp, Adcom GFP-1A preamp
I listen better than I used to, but I don't hear as well.
Post edited by OldCrow on

Comments

• OldCrow
    edited March 2020
    Oh, I forgot. Is anyone else doing this or is everybody doing it and I just figured it out?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    You’re just dipping your toes in. Congrats though. They are many digital platforms (some free and some paid) for you to continue this discovery.
    YouTube is free, but the SQ is at best ok.
    Have you tried a free trial of any of the subscription services like Tidal, Qobuz, or Amazon HD?
    Or even a free Pandora account if you are ok with ads.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    You also may wish to suss out Radio Paradise.
  • OldCrow
    From my first post: My go-to tracks for testing SDA effect are Pink Floyd Pigs and Mannheim Steamroller Toccata.

Correction- Pink Floyd Sheep. I can't believe I mistook a pig for a sheep again.
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited March 2020
    I use YouTube or YouTube Music to listen to albums I'm considering to buy, whether on vinyl or CD. If I can't find it on YT, I search Pandora or Spotify. I don't use it for everday listening because I prefer to own the physical media. The sound quality is OK for what I use it for, but the constant commercials are annoying, especially when they occur during the middle of a track, and they are louder than the music,
    Post edited by classic carl on
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    joecoulson wrote: »
    You’re just dipping your toes in. Congrats though. They are many digital platforms (some free and some paid) for you to continue this discovery.
    YouTube is free, but the SQ is at best ok.
    Have you tried a free trial of any of the subscription services like Tidal, Qobuz, or Amazon HD?
    Or even a free Pandora account if you are ok with ads.

It's depending on gear and goodies too. I too have A B'd You Tube along side original CDs I have on hand when listening through my Yamaha RX A1060A with zero differences but not the same results with the Auraluc Vega G2. The G2 is not so forgiving. Still...it's all good.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!