SAE Tree and SAE 1B

Options
Hello. I apologize for my language. I write through a translator. I bought a vintage set of SAE Tree and SAE 1B. I did not have this and I can not find the specification. please share information. opinions of who listened to which acoustics and which styles of music sound better are also interesting. thanks in advance

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Is it safe to assume your inquiring about SDA 1B's & 3.1's?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume your inquiring about SDA 1B's & 3.1's?

NO the picture is of the item in question. I'm thinking tree should be SAE Pre

http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/sae_info.html
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Or SAE Three?

All I can say is that's very early SAE stuff -- at the high end of the "consumer" grade hifi components of its time. I am not sure it will have aged all that well, and, by modern standards, I don't think most of it sounds (sounded) all that great, either.

Always impressive looking and - I believe - well built, though.

• 55SLA70
    Options
    Looks a lot like the SAE Mark 1B a friend of mine had many years ago.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    Options
    and here are the basic specifications for the SAE Mark IIIC stereo power amplifier (this is the best I've been able to find, so far):
    ysyr74ngzqbm.png
    source: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/70s/Stereo-Directory-1976.pdf

here's the "Mark III" (without any letter suffix), from
    https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1972-09.pdf
    0y9471206d6z.png

Looks like the original version is 120 watts per channel (if this information is correct).

• fireserzh
    Options
    thanks for the information. I will read.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I still have a Mark series amp around here somewhere. Very nice stuff in the day. Will need refurbishing. Those equalizers in the preamps were quite faddy then but do nothing good for the sound. I had a 2900 preamp at one point an iteration subsequent to the Mark series. They had some nice Champaign finishes on some of those Marks. Quite desirable with some collectors.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    Options
    Yes, early SAE Mark 1B preamp and Mark 3 amp. Ahead of their time. High end in their day.
  • fireserzh
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded. a few more questions. I turned on the power amplifier in the preamplifier sockets (as in the photo black plug). Is this the correct connection? both amplifiers are 220 volt export version.ovgucjzpatc2.jpeg
    s7v40x6bdho8.jpeg
  • fireserzh
    Options
    and the next question. Three switches crack when turned on. I have a spray for processing potentiometers. Will this help or should I completely disassemble it?c1590e7uyukg.jpg
    8h51lme1mwqg.jpg
    w22tdj64u3yo.jpg
    kx3i69elx2qx.jpg
  • fireserzh
    Options
    the backlight of the power indicator does not light. light bulb burned out. maybe someone knows what should be?
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'd strongly recommend plugging the power amplifier directly into the wall -- unless there is a labeled, high current outlet for the power amp, those outlets are 'convenience outlets' for peripheral components, not the power amp.

If you can 'access' the switches, etc. with the 'straw' on a can of good quality electrical switch/contact cleaner, go for it. Be sure to unplug the preamp from the mains first! Resist the temptation to over-spray, and let things dry out before powering up. There is a good thread on using "DeOxit" (a good quality, popular contact cleaner) at audiokarma.

The bulb may be hard to find. Check the schematic for that preamp if you can find a copy. You'll need to match the voltage and current draw (and size). The lamp can be adapted to an LED, but it will take some information and some knowledge (and maybe even skill). EDIT: Oh, come to think of it, they may be LEDs already! SAE was all about "high tech" for the era!

Hope these comments are at least a bit helpful.

• fireserzh
    Options
    thanks for the information. I also think that plugging a power amplifier into these outlets is a risk. I turned it on only to check how everything works and at low volume.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    If it were me, I would use that equalizer defeat button
  • fireserzh
    fireserzh Posts: 22
    Options
    Another question for connoisseurs. can 4 ohm speakers be connected or not? in the specifications that I read nowhere do not write about it. what I saw is 2x 120 watts at 8 ohms
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Yes, and you should get 180 to 240 watts @4ohm
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a