To cruise, or not to cruise.

An Alaskan cruise was booked long before any pandemic was anticipated. The Mrs. is very paranoid about our ship/crew having been exposed to the virus. I'm not worried, one of the perks to our package was the best drink package available.....kill the buggers with bourbon!
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I might forgo a cruise at this time. Cruise ships have people from all over the world, in one contained area and you know their sanitation routine isn't going to be up to snuff.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I'm in like Flynn. No worries mate.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If it was a Med or Pacific cruise, I might worry about that, but Alaska would be highly specialized and any potential passengers coming to the U.S. from infected regions would, in high probability, be screened out before they cleared customs.

I think an Alaska cruise would be a very low risk trip. go and enjoy!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    **** to the No!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Also remember, one person gets the virus, that whole ship is quarantined. Can you afford to be away from home or your job that long ? Think about that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Personally, there's nothing about the notion of the modern definition of an ocean cruise that appealed to me even before the current brouhaha. Maybe one of those river cruises, in a small vessel, but that's a definite maybe.

• deronb1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Personally, there's nothing about the notion of the modern definition of an ocean cruise that appealed to me even before the current brouhaha. Maybe one of those river cruises, in a small vessel, but that's a definite maybe.

Agreed. The Viking River crusises look nice and one can see land everywhere ;)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Not just no, but hell no! I'd avoid other places with lots of global travelers such as Disney as well.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

I'm with Tom. Go!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    Well
    daboyz wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

I'm with Tom. Go!!

Well, probably way more likely to get norovirus than the latest and greatest viral threat -- if that makes the OP feel any better. :|

Plus -- I mean -- the odds are way in one's favor of surviving COVID-19 infection, anyway (97 or 98 percent, give or take).
    Better than the odds of surviving a rush-hour drive in the Boston metro area ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Do they have pillaging side excursions or are they included in the basic fare?
  • deronb1
    Viking64 wrote: »
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Agreed. The Viking River crusises look nice and one can see land everywhere ;)

:o

ffeb3lqf37of.jpg

Exactly!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I had norovirus and it was the sickest I have ever been. Really, really bad.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Balcony cabin yes
    Inside cabin no

My wife worked software for a cruise agency for years. Been on many but won’t cruise on an inside cabin
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2020
    What I can tell you being a US Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBP) at Port Canaveral where at times we are the busiest and sometimes 2nd busiest cruise port in the world, there are now several safe guards in place. I would not let it stop you from your vacation. Not only are ALL GUEST AND CREW screened for potential exposure but we as CBP Officers at ALL airports are also restricting entry of foreigners who have traveled to inflicted areas of the globe. Anyone showing any signs or symptoms are quarantined.

Take your vacation my friend.
  • CH46E
    edited February 2020
    Oh yes, like @txcoastal1 said, if you did not get a balcony room upgrade ASAP. Just in case the ship hits a quarantine.
  • CH46E
    On top of all that. The ships have began a rigorous sanitation regiment for every embarkation. No crew are allowed off the ship in port until the sanitation is completed. Our number of norovirus cases ( diarrhea, vomiting on so on) has plummeted. I'd say that Alaskan cruise will be safer and cleaner than any other time.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I wouldn't get on a cruise ship on a good day but especially not now. I am wondering if I should go to a concert next month. I am retiring soon and trying not to die. That beer virus is probably everywhere and they don't even know it yet.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Beer virus?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Corona
    bad joke
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Whew, I was nervous there! One of the highlights of this trip is getting a hold of some Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Corona
    bad joke

True, you can hardly call that swill beer.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2020
    deronb1 wrote: »
    That's why I lick everything in sight to boost my immune system 😉

Is that why Russ always has a smile on his face and a cigarette in hand? :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Is that why Russ always has a smile on his face and a cigarette in hand? :p
    😱 😳
    Alea jacta est!
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    CH46E wrote: »
    What I can tell you being a US Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBP) at Port Canaveral where at times we are the busiest and sometimes 2nd busiest cruise port in the world, there are now several safe guards in place. I would not let it stop you from your vacation. Not only are ALL GUEST AND CREW screened for potential exposure but we as CBP Officers at ALL airports are also restricting entry of foreigners who have traveled to inflicted areas of the globe. Anyone showing any signs or symptoms are quarantined.

Take your vacation my friend.

From what I understand you can get exposed, be contagious yet never show any symptoms.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones