Dynaudio Audience

Spent a good week with the 72se, 42 and 42c setup. Powering with a B&K AV5000II. Pre is a B&K Ref 30 then Yamaha TSR-7810. The Ref 30 sounds a tick better, but the Yammy and its great music cast app is just so damn convenient that Im going to stick with it.

The 72se is a reworked 72 using drivers from the Contour line and a different xover, all in a 72 cab. These are terrific sounding speakers. Very tight, controlled bass and a sweet upper registry that reminds me of the B&W Nautilus tweeter without the occasional zing on some tracks.

They are not the easiest load however (4 ohm and 86db sens). My amp is 185 wpc at 4 ohms with 30 amps p to p current. The 72se need more imo. If I hang on to these, I will need at least 300 @ 4 ohms wpc with no less than 50 amps p to p.

The 42c is a smallish center with one 5" mid and a 1.1" tweet and front ported. I was concerned that it might sound a bit thin, but was pleasantly surprised with its range, quality and output.

Which brings me to the 42 bookshelf speakers, used a surrounds. They of couse were fine for what surrounds do, but I was curious to hear them as mains with music (actually listening to them now as I write this). Seriously impressed with sound coming from these. Same specs as the 42c, but rear ported. My room is approximately 18' x 18' with a 12' vaulted ceiling and these little suckers are filling and energizing the room quie nicely! Amazing amount of quality bass for a 5" driver and a cab that is roughly 11" x 7" x 9".

I like these so much that I'm considering selling the floorstanders and getting a pair of 52 ( which use a 6" driver and larger cab) bookies for mains. Can keep my amp, which I really like and save some cash. Still undecided, but leaming that way.

To wrap it up, these are the best speakers I've had in here. The Audience line was Dynaudio's entry level line. I can only imagine how fantastic the other models sound moving up the chain.

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Dear Forum,

Thank you for all your insightful comments concerning this post...lol.

Sincerely,
    deronb1
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I got nothin'... but, it's only been four hours.
    Some poor schmucks gotta work, you know?
  • deronb1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I got nothin'... but, it's only been four hours.
    Some poor schmucks gotta work, you know?

Indeedy. Tongue-in- cheek type post
  • mhardy6647
    OK, cool -- thought you were gettin' antsy. B)
  • deronb1

No sir. Took the day off and did a whole lotta nuttin today.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    deronb1 wrote: »

OH the things that I could do with this.... Does the wife know about all this "nuttin" or was SHE involved?

• deronb1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

OH the things that I could do with this.... Does the wife know about all this "nuttin" or was SHE involved?

She worked! I sat around listening to tunes and writing posts that no one will read.😂
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2020
    i use to own a similar system many years ago. I had the Audience 82's 122C Center channel and the 42W's for surround speakers. I rounded that package out with a Dynaudio 500 Subwoofer. I powered mine with B&K then Rotel. What a wonderful musical system it was. I miss it sometimes.
    I really like the Audience 72 model then later the SE model which had a tad better response. They both where excellent sound speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • deronb1
    mantis wrote: »
    i use to own a similar system many years ago. I had the Audience 82's 122C Center channel and the 42W's for surround speakers. I rounded that package out with a Dynaudio 500 Subwoofer. I powered mine with B&K then Rotel. What a wonderful musical system it was. I miss it sometimes.
    I really like the Audience 72 model then later the SE model which had a tad better response. They both where excellent sound speakers.

I like em a lot. Seriously considering a pair of 52 or 52se for the fronts. Got a killer deal on the set, so they would basically be free after selling the 72se
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    They are great as well but I don't think I'd give up the 72 SE's for them. Personally I like the 72 over the 52 BUT if you have an amazing fast tight quick subwoofer the 52's would work nicely. You need good stands which is where I wear out on Bookshelf style speakers. I went down that path for a few minutes and I just think floor standing speakers are the way to go due to a built in stand and you can tune them slightly better into the room frequency wise. No I wouldn't run the 72 SE's full range but I would dig them down into the 60-80 hz range and play with them to see how they react in the room. This is what most people get wrong when setting up floor standing speakers, they usually try to squeeze all the bass out of them they can because they can play lower. Usually most speaker sound WAY BETTER in room crossed over much higher then they can go due to in room issues and going with a properly placed single or pair of subwoofers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • deronb1
    All true. I have an SVS cylinder (thanks Tophat!) and Def Tech Powerfield 15 subs that are pretty musical imo. I like to listen to 2 ch in pure direct, sans subs. The 72se dont sound great in this mode to due lack of current. The 42 bookies sound fantastic.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    It will all improve with power. When I put my C1's Signature on the KWI-200 they bloomed. I have always been a Dyn fan.

My C4 Platinum's on the Threshold Stasis SA12e mono's and tube pre was a match made in heaven.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • deronb1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    It will all improve with power. When I put my C1's Signature on the KWI-200 they bloomed. I have always been a Dyn fan.

My C4 Platinum's on the Threshold Stasis SA12e mono's and tube pre was a match made in heaven.

What is the p to p current rating on your KWI-200?
  • mhardy6647

Been doin' that since 2014! Actually, started years before that -- just don't tell my erstwhile employers. B)