Fidelio X2HR

I have had the Fidelio L2s for a couple of years now and absolutely loved them. I have put probably close to 500 hours on them during this time so they have seen heavy use. I have not seen any degradation of the cans at all.

They have been troopers.

Well I recently upgraded to the X2HRs which at the time of this post are going for $135 on Amazon, it's a steal so I jumped on it. While my impressions are still very early and I want to wait for at least 50 hours before I make any judgements, I do like them quite a bit.

They are very comfortable and a little bit darker than the L2s. I am running them off of my Little Dot 1+ with Western Electric 403B tubes. So far so good. I just wanted to let it out there how cheap these great headphones are right now.

I believe the X3 is coming for release soonish as well. Good time to buy the previous model at rock bottom prices.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Love my L2s as well, but the ear pad covers have started to rip on one side. I am tempted to upgrade to the X2HRs but mine still sound great! I will be interested in any further thoughts you have after break in...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    Love my L2s as well, but the ear pad covers have started to rip on one side. I am tempted to upgrade to the X2HRs but mine still sound great! I will be interested in any further thoughts you have after break in...

On initial impressions obviously the bass won't be as plentiful due to open back vs semi closed back. If you don't use an amp you will notice a little bit of lower volume output due to the X2s being 30ohm as opposed to 16 for the L2s.

Comfort is much better on the X2HRs however the slight bit of extra weight takes getting used to. The X2HRs are MUCH bigger than the L2s, I will take a picture of size comparisons today. The sound signature is very much alike. I would say with the L2s being more bass heavy although I don't consider them to be bass head cans. The X2HRs have fantastic highs and mids...obviously the soundstage is more expansive and open.

More to come in time.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Nice. I had the X1s so I understand the size difference. Interesting about the bass difference...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    Nice. I had the X1s so I understand the size difference. Interesting about the bass difference...

From what I have heard the X2s are much better than the X1s. Not from my personal experience but from a reviewer I trust.

• Size difference.

b0l4gpxgmden.jpg

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    The X3s almost look like a lifestyle product to me. Hopefully they sound good.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Alright I have had some time with the X2HRs now, roughly 65 hours (I get to listen a lot at work).

My previous comments about the bass being leaner isn't exactly the right way to put it. With the L2s the soundstage is much smaller so the bass is more in your face where as the X2HRs are pulled back a bit into the stage.

I don't want to get into a big write up but overall I would take the X2HRs over the L2s any day of the week. Listening to music is more engaging. More nuanced detail, much wider separation and the sound is a bit more balanced.

Comfort on the X2HRs is well above the L2s but they are a bit heavier so it takes some getting used to.

If I was only using a mobile device or something without headphone amplification I would choose the L2s, they play nicer. That being said the X2HRs pair well with my Little Dot 1+ (currently have Western Electric 403Bs in).