God awful Hendrix recordings

I bought every Hendrix bootleg back in the day and it was all good, crappy cassette players and such. Now that I have some decent sounds it's half killing me. I got the 50th anni of Electric Lady Land, it's great until they included the Hollywood Bowl tracks. Good to have it since they ain't makin anymore but it is hard to listen to. I saw a Mclaughlin Hendrix sessions CD on ebay maybe nice to have but to listen to? Any other "dead" completest that can chime in on these recordings? I am listening to the Hollywood Bowl stuff as I type and I can hardly stand it.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    No "experience" with the Hendrix stuff, but as a Beatles fan, one of my most treasured recordings is also a nearly unlistenable mess, "A Toot and a Snore in '74"...

It features some great artists, including Stevie Wonder sitting in with John Lennon, and a certain guy by the name of Paul McCartney. This is the only known recording of the two former Beatles jamming together after the break-up of the band that catapulted them to super-stardom.

My Beatles experience would not be complete without it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I'm with you Bruce, I had a couple of CD's in the past and they were horrid. When they announced that they were going to produce some SACD's I knew I'd have to hear them first. I've yet to hear any and to be honest I've heard no one ever speak of how great they were.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    No "experience" with the Hendrix stuff, but as a Beatles fan, one of my most treasured recordings is also a nearly unlistenable mess, "A Toot and a Snore in '74"...

It features some great artists, including Stevie Wonder sitting in with John Lennon, and a certain guy by the name of Paul McCartney. This is the only known recording of the two former Beatles jamming together after the break-up of the band that catapulted them to super-stardom.

My Beatles experience would not be complete without it.

However bad these one-offs are they are worth having and listening to at least once.
  • nooshinjohn
    That is my conclusion. They should also be listened to in the spirit and vibe of which they were recorded... A couple shots of whiskey and a beer in hand make all the difference in the world. For Hendrix... perhaps a couple lines of blow and a fattie. :p;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    That is my conclusion. They should also be listened to in the spirit and vibe of which they were recorded... A couple shots of whiskey and a beer in hand make all the difference in the world. For Hendrix... perhaps a couple lines of blow and a fattie. :p;)

@nooshinjohn you may be surprised, some of this "hotel room" Hendrix is interesting straight blues stuff. Why does everyone think that Jimi was always way out on acid? He was only sometimes.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2020
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn you may be surprised, some of this "hotel room" Hendrix is interesting straight blues stuff. Why does everyone think that Jimi was always way out on acid? He was only sometimes.

I said nothing of acid... but you can bet if he was awake, Puff the Magic Dragon was not to far from his fingers. That he died from a drug overdose does not exactly help matters.

• afterburnt
    "The beginning at last" off this collection is bad ****, certainly different than what most of his recordings.
  • afterburnt

I said nothing of acid... but you can bet if he was awake, Puff the Magic Dragon was not to far from his fingers. That he died from a drug overdose does not exactly help matters.

Maybe you know nothing more of the cat but this is worth the price of admission.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGPT67F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • afterburnt
    edited February 2020
    @nooshinjohn let's get together and I will truck my collection to your house?

I got some LP's original and new.
  • nooshinjohn
    You are welcome here any time...

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    In times past I also collected Jimi boots some bad SQ some good. It’s amazing to me there are any that are even half-way good but I seem to recall his last shows (Sweden?) were decent, although it’s been a long time. I know I listened to a lot of his boots years ago. It’s like set lists from shows in the 70’s - how do they come up with Those, yet there are oodles of them out there. It’s the same with Bob Dylan boots of which I have hundreds and hundreds some excellent SQ and some bad that I can’t listen to. Unless there’s something real unusual about it I don’t listen to it more than once as a rule if it’s bad SQ. There is little question, however, that Hendrix did a lot of acid. Plenty of Respectable bio’s support that, even about how they timed their doses to peak during shows.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited February 2020
    I don't have, nor have I heard any Jimi bootlegs unfortunately. Qobuz has "People, Hell, and Angels" in 24bit/96kHz and the SQ is pretty enjoyable. I had heard a live recording from New Years Eve at the Fillmore that was high rez but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe it was removed from TIDAL or Qobuz or maybe it was on Amazon HD which I unsubscribed from. That sounded excellent as I recall...... I did record it from my soundcard but those recordings never sound as good to me as my live stream so I've pretty much given up on that.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • afterburnt

Actually he died drowning in his own vomit, how undignified.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Actually he died drowning in his own vomit, how undignified.

Better than choking on someone else's :|

https://youtu.be/tZrqC5LL_oo
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    This is pretty obvious, but look for soundboard recordings as far as boots. Audience recordings from the old days can be really horrible. I remember hearing a boot of a Pink Floyd concert I attended in the mid-70’s and it was ridiculously bad. But some audience recordings are good, especially after digital audio tape and decent mic’s but lots of tapers didn’t really know what they were doing.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    I had a Hendrix bootleg back in the early 90's (can't remember the title though), but it was touted as the first "double sided CD". When it arrived, it was two CD's glued together with the label side facing each other. I don't remember how it sounded, because it wouldn't fit in most CD player trays. I think there was Denon CD player it would fit in, however..... Still don't remember thoe sound quality, but I think it was pretty good.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    No such thing as bad Hendrix,, just some better than others
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)