Restoration of SDA 1C Again!!!

2»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Here is another one that you might consider. Some here have expressed the opinion that it is good and I believe the general feeling I have gotten here is that most think Blackhole5 and Norez are superior to the Sonic Barrier.

http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx

I haven't done the mod yet to my 7Bs because I need another piece of Blackhole5, which is what I decided to go with. Very expensive though.

Do you know how much to use and where to place it?
  • @Viking64 Yeah I was told I need a 6" x 6" piece behind the midbass drivers and that too much is not a good thing in the 7Bs.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Yeah I was told I need a 6" x 6" piece behind the midbass drivers and that too much is not a good thing in the 7Bs.

Alright. I'm not familiar with any of the non-TL Polks, but I remember reading several threads about what was recommended. One person (Larry, maybe?) said they used too much and it sapped the bass right out of them.

I just wanted to make sure that you weren't going to line the whole cabinet(s) with it.

I have removed your ampersand (@) and sent it to you in a mail bomb marked "EXPENSIVE AUDIO GEAR".
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited February 2020
    It's expensive only because you have to buy such a large piece. Everything adds up. I'm still in shock at the price of the capacitors and OCC and litz wire and Cardas binding posts lol. Big credit card bill this month :#

I'm still waiting to hear from Erse on whether they will custom make the values of inductors that I'd need. They are checking with the foreman for me.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Here is another one that you might consider. Some here have expressed the opinion that it is good and I believe the general feeling I have gotten here is that most think Blackhole5 and Norez are superior to the Sonic Barrier. The mfg of the Norez gives a pretty good explanation of why they think their product is superior. They don't actually give the thickness of their damping layer (the one right against the adhesive) but they say it is twice as thick as Blackhole5's damping layer. I just measured my Blackhole5 and the damping layer is about 0.047" fwiw.

http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx

I haven't done the mod yet to my 7Bs because I need another piece of Blackhole5, which is what I decided to go with. Very expensive though.

Thank you!
    Polk SDA 1C and CRS+, Klipsch Forte II, Focal Chorus 706, Sansui: 9090DB, Eight Deluxe, AU-9900; Pioneer SX-1010, Marantz: 300DC, 3200B, 2325, 2275, Thorens TD-145, Technics SL-1650, Pioneer PL-707, Pioneer RT-707
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited February 2020
    [Viking64 wrote: >>I have removed your ampersand (@) and sent it to you in a mail bomb marked "EXPENSIVE AUDIO GEAR".[/quote]

???

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Viking64
    [Viking64 wrote: >>I have removed your ampersand (@) and sent it to you in a mail bomb marked "EXPENSIVE AUDIO GEAR".

People that use that annoying "mention" feature should have half of their skin removed, be dipped in honey, and then placed on a massive anthill while being forced to listen to Poison and Bon Jovi through horn-loaded speakers.
  • I am not putting anything inside the cabinet for now. Hopefully, I will finish everything by this weekend!
    Polk SDA 1C and CRS+, Klipsch Forte II, Focal Chorus 706, Sansui: 9090DB, Eight Deluxe, AU-9900; Pioneer SX-1010, Marantz: 300DC, 3200B, 2325, 2275, Thorens TD-145, Technics SL-1650, Pioneer PL-707, Pioneer RT-707
  • here are all drivers and PRs after modification.t80rg1qi0eej.jpg
  • Viking64 wrote: »
    [Viking64 wrote: >>I have removed your ampersand (@) and sent it to you in a mail bomb marked "EXPENSIVE AUDIO GEAR".

People that use that annoying "mention" feature should have half of their skin removed, be dipped in honey, and then placed on a massive anthill while being forced to listen to Poison and Bon Jovi through horn-loaded speakers.

Care to explain what is offensive about it? (biting my tongue here)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Viking64
    edited February 2020
    Care to explain what is offensive about it? (biting my tongue here)

I said "annoying". Don't take things so seriously. :p

Care to explain why you used it in response to what I said? HAHAHAHAHA

(Biting my wrist here.)
  • Well I'm still waiting for it to get funny ah ha ha ha. I suppose my main intention was to help the OP and I was making it clear that I was responding to your question.....umm.....does that make sense?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Viking64
    Then just type "Viking64". :o
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    @Viking64
    @Viking64
    @Viking64
    @Viking64
    @Viking64

See George this is how it's done. Don't let Jimmie get under your skin that dog don't bite.

• Viking64
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    @Viking64
    @Viking64
    @Viking64
    @Viking64
    @Viking64

See George this is how it's done. Don't let Jimmie get under your skin that dog don't bite.

^^^^ Weak bait.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    The bigger problem is that Vanilla won't let users unsubscribe from individual threads.
  • Everything set up and I am blown away!! Just need 4 RD-0194!
  • 74473n814rqh.jpg
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Ok.
    That is a *beautiful* looking setup.
    Peaceful yet powerful. Very nice.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I 2nd TonyP. I would suddenly find myself more absent from other duties, with some extended listening sessions.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.