Tannoy Ultimate Playlist 2020

Options
Tannoy put together a fairly lengthy "Ultimate Playlist" for this year. Several of the recordings will be familiar to many of you, but you might find some new gems as well. I really like the way it's laid out into various categories, some by genre and some by sound categories.

Haven't gone through it all yet, but I figured it was worth sharing. It's in a PDF which is a little annoying, but they said they wanted a complete list, and not every song is on every platform.

https://community.musictribe.com/vdgmh27479/attachments/vdgmh27479/tapc1000/10/1/Ultimate Tannoy Playlist.pdf
Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
Discogs

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Nice, thanks for the share. Psyched that there's a solid showing of electronic music included, with a lot of artists that I recognize and am already a fan of.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice, thanks for the share. Psyched that there's a solid showing of electronic music included, with a lot of artists that I recognize and am already a fan of.
    I thought it was cool that they dedicated a whole section to electronic. Good audiophile gear does showcase electronic music in a new light that a lot of people don't even know exists. I think I'll eventually make a playlist with as many of these as I can find. I wish more companies were doing these. I wouldn't mind new lists every year from every company. Feels like low hanging marketing fruit to me.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Good stuff there. Many that I had not considered should be useful. Thanks!
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Last year I read a really well done book called: The Great British Recording Studios which described in great detail the equipment used in each famous English studio and the overwhelming speaker of choice were Tannoy Monitors. In fact speakers are called "tannoys" in Britain just as vacuum cleaners are called "hoovers". If the music was recorded in England during the '50's, '60's or '70's you can believe it was listened to on Tannoy dual concentric monitor speakers, such as the Monitor Gold or Monitor Red mounted in custom cabinets.
    For example:
    https://london.craigslist.org/ele/7077498073.html?lang=en&cc=gb
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Thanks for the share. Some I haven't heard before.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that!

That's a weird list,though -- being a hodgepodge of albums, specific tracks, and then some generic references to pieces of music.

To wit:

y06fqtczcrvd.png

e.g., I have some pretty bad recordings and performances of 1812 Overture in the basement. ;)

It's rife with typos, too(?!) -- unless there (e.g.) is a Bosten Symphony Orchestra that's really, really good! ;)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ah, the "enigman variations" kind of a mysterious super hero?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I thought it was cool that they dedicated a whole section to electronic. Good audiophile gear does showcase electronic music in a new light that a lot of people don't even know exists. I think I'll eventually make a playlist with as many of these as I can find. I wish more companies were doing these. I wouldn't mind new lists every year from every company. Feels like low hanging marketing fruit to me.

It got it's own section, but it also shows up in the other sections which I appreciate.

And yeah I noticed how sometimes it was individual tracks and other times albums. Oh well.

Regarding the typos, there's not really any excuse for not using spell check. Amateurish move from a marketing perspective.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    edited February 2020
    Options
    If the music was recorded in England during the '50's, '60's or '70's you can believe it was listened to on Tannoy dual concentric monitor speakers.

My old maths teacher, who is now the head, said the same thing about "biro" when we were eating our tea once. x
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    Ah, the "enigman variations" kind of a mysterious super hero?

Shhh! Disney's audience testing the movie even now!

B)