Time for a new surround receiver or processor

My Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver seems to be dying. The volume, input selector, and surround mode will not function with the remote- either the original or a Harmony universal. When I turn the volume up it goes to max and when I turn it down it goes all the way down without stopping. When changing inputs it cycles through them all without stopping. I can make changes manually but with volume control this is a real problem. Trying to decide what to replace it with. I like Yamaha and have had several over the years but all at some point have had an issue with the motor in the volume knob. I had a Denon 3805 several years ago that was decent but I prefer the Yamaha “sound”.

I probably listen to music 80% percent of the time and movies the other 20%. Sources are a Oppo 205, Sony HAP Z1-ES, and cable box. I may add a streaming service such as Apple TV or Roku at some point. No turntable or gaming. Speakers are LSIM 705, 706, 703, and 702’s. I also have a SVS 20-39 PC.

I want something that does music well and has the latest tech such as 4K pass through, room equalization, 7 channel input for surround music, etc. I tend to keep my gear for several years.

I am starting to research now but would appreciate any suggestions or advice. I have always had AVR’s and could do that again but am also interested in separates but may not be able to get into that with my budget. I am willing to go about $2k for a receiver or up to $4k for separates. Not opposed to used amp but would want the processor to be a current generation if not new.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Marantz
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I see you budget but if your willing to go 4K with separates why not with a AVR?
    The Integra DRXR1.1 is a pretty awesome AVR with tons of power everything you need for todays formats plus it's very musical.
    I've installed a few that where driven for music use and with Revel Speakers this thing really sounded great. I also have heard it with Monitor Audio and again sounded great.
    I would buy one myself .
    Marantz is not a bad way to go for sound quality.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    edited February 2020
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    mrloren wrote: »

I’ve never dealt with accessories4less. Are they pretty good about handling issues if there are problems? The Marantz does cover all the bases.
  • simm
    mantis wrote: »
    I see you budget but if your willing to go 4K with separates why not with a AVR?
    The Integra DRXR1.1 is a pretty awesome AVR with tons of power everything you need for todays formats plus it's very musical.
    I've installed a few that where driven for music use and with Revel Speakers this thing really sounded great. I also have heard it with Monitor Audio and again sounded great.
    I would buy one myself .
    Marantz is not a bad way to go for sound quality.

I’ll do some research on the Integra. Seems like I remember reading about some QC issues a few years ago with them. Am I misremembering?

• zeppage2
    I bought a used Integra off Audiogon that had the notorious lemon HDMI board. Yes, they fixed it out of warranty, but it soured me on the brand.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2020
    Separates? I like my Outlaw Audio 976 w/optional Bluetooth* module - my kids love it*!

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/976.html
    4K compatible.
    Balanced and unbalanced outputs
    7 channel and two Sub outs

A review I’ll read later
    https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/outlaw-audio-model-976-7-2-surround-processor-review.3778/

They sell several robust 7 channel amps. Here’s 130WPC - they meet or exceed specs all channels driven.
    https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html

If you Decide Outlaw, I hafta warm you: my remote’s volume control sucks - but I got an early one. Does everything else just fine. Like Polk, they have their own forum. Look there, you’ll see a big 976 remote thread. My Harmony 665 works great.

Enjoy! Tony
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    zeppage2 wrote: »
    I bought a used Integra off Audiogon that had the notorious lemon HDMI board. Yes, they fixed it out of warranty, but it soured me on the brand.

Ditto. Which sucks because I've always liked the Integra line
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mrloren
    edited February 2020
    simm wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

I’ve never dealt with accessories4less. Are they pretty good about handling issues if there are problems? The Marantz does cover all the bases.

I've purchased 2 AVR's from A4L no problem. A couple friends have also purchased from there, no problems.

You could go new from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR8012-11-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0779KHLXJ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=sr8012&qid=1581840529&sr=8-9
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Also purchased from A4L about 1 1/2 years ago and no problems with AVR.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'm going to be buying a Marantz through A4L soon.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I bought a defective $20 item from A4L and they gave me a bunch of crap trying to return it. I gave up on them because of it.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Bought a AVR from A4L 3years ago and CD player 2 years ago. No issues with either one.

• txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Marantz

+1 for Marantz.

Have a processor AV7702MK ii, not a current one, but does everything I expect. The calibration is very detailed and if you have great amp (do not have to be expensive ones) matching with speakers, the Marantz can really up the game. Might wanna check at Accessories4less.com.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I have good experience with the Marantz AV77xx pre pros and recommend them highly. A Marantz pre pro with some quality amplification can seriously upgrade your H/T experience.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • simm
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Separates? I like my Outlaw Audio 976 w/optional Bluetooth* module - my kids love it*!

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/976.html
    4K compatible.
    Balanced and unbalanced outputs
    7 channel and two Sub outs

A review I’ll read later
    https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/outlaw-audio-model-976-7-2-surround-processor-review.3778/

They sell several robust 7 channel amps. Here’s 130WPC - they meet or exceed specs all channels driven.
    https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html

If you Decide Outlaw, I hafta warm you: my remote’s volume control sucks - but I got an early one. Does everything else just fine. Like Polk, they have their own forum. Look there, you’ll see a big 976 remote thread. My Harmony 665 works great.

Enjoy! Tony

How do you like the Outlaw combo for music?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I vote denon but you can’t go wrong with either brand. I had a marantz sr5007 and then moved to a denon avr-x4200w (admittedly a step or two up) and the difference was substantial. But apples to apples the marantz and denon are probably VERY similar...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    Denon or Marantz can't go wrong. I had an SR5010 for my main now my bedroom AVR. Denon AVR-X4400H is my main HT now. I like them both. Thing about the Marantz is that darn porthole display.
  • simm
    Right now I am leaning towards the Marantz SR-8012. I’ve been doing a tremendous amount of research the last 2 days and hope to make a decision tomorrow. The Marantz covers all my needs and then some.
  • gp4jesus
    edited February 2020
    simm wrote: »
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    How do you like the Outlaw combo for music?
    Music sound like... music! I much prefer the richer SQ of CDs* but I can’t deny Bluetooth’s convenience. I own a bunch* from the 80s & early 90s before the volume war escalation and SQ deterioration. Summer of 2023 (after I move my system) I’ll resurrect my Rega P3 TT and then really enjoy music!

A confession: I’ve heard/read great reviews for Outlaw amps but I haven’t “gotten my ears on any and don’t expect to. I still have my 975 (bought new; need to sell [wife])

I started “building” my system using amps of another make. To change/upgrade now means big bucks. On that note, earlier today I won number 4 - now I can bi-amp my surrounds.

I’m certain you will enjoy Outlaw products if you go that way. Regardless- Enjoy!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @gp4jesus you can't just sell your wife.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    I second the Anthem approach. At the top end of your budget I'd go with the Anthem AVM-60 pre/pro ($3000) and an Outlaw 7000 ($950). You'd have a processor capable of 11.2 channels if you ever decided to expand, just have to purchase another amp of course. I'm running the AVM60 with an Outlaw 7900 & 5000 with full Polk LSiM series speakers and it's the best my room has ever sounded. Don't do a lot of 2-channel listening but what I have listened to sounded amazing.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • gp4jesus
    @gp4jesus you can't just sell your wife.
    oops🤔🤪!

FS: Outlaw 975!
  • simm
    I ended up buying a Marantz SR 8012 and it arrived today. Going to hook it up later tonight. Strange but true story, I was going to disconnect my Yamaha receiver and decided to power it up one more time for old time sake before boxing it up and the damn thing works with the remote. I have raised/lowered the volume multiple times, changed inputs, and surround modes and everything works exactly as it should. My wife is never going to believe that it was not working.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited February 2020
    You're all set now when you want to get into 4K and HDR though.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • simm
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You're all set now when you want to get into 4K and HDR though.

I don’t regret it and am looking forward to the upgraded features. I just can’t believe the Yamaha started working correctly. I’ll find a use for it as I think it sounds great.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2020
    I recommend going the Outlaw 976/7000 route. I love my outlaw setup with the LSIMs.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • simm
    dj67o9xv6nje.jpeg

Got it in the rack this afternoon. Will work on setup tonight.
  • zeppage2
    since you got the Marantz, look into the DeRemote app.
    http://www.deremote.com/