Wharfedale Linton

Options
13»

Comments

• Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Hi Mike,

They have been getting better and better. They do have a nice sound stage and they disappear nicely in the room. They do have a nice bass response is like a nice tight punchy bass the one you feel right on your chest but not boomy.

I am still trying to put more hours on them but work has been crazy. I don't think you will be disappointed with a set of this one's

Cheers
    Rey
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

They have been getting better and better. They do have a nice sound stage and they disappear nicely in the room. They do have a nice bass response is like a nice tight punchy bass the one you feel right on your chest but not boomy.

I am still trying to put more hours on them but work has been crazy. I don't think you will be disappointed with a set of this one's

Cheers
    Rey

Thanks man, I'm really drawn to the Esthetics of the Lintons as much as anything, and all the Positive Reviews aren't helping any ;)

After having the L200's in the house for a couple of weeks, I had forgotten just how good a Stand Mount can sound.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited February 2020
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Got you. And the 85th tweeter is different than the 80th or same with the wire mesh cover?

All are 1", but the 80th is described as a soft dome while the 85th and Linton are described as textile dome.

.. and the 90th will be labeled fabric dome, and the Century Edition, cloth dome.

B)

On topic (and I don't mean this in a negative way at all), they remind me in their form factor, so to speak, of the three-way Harbeths. I doubt the strategy of cabinet design (especially given Wharfedale's heritage) is all that similar, though.

j7mhd0jhax1s.png

teoamlv398ya.png

They are very pretty. They look like loudspeakers. And not like something from a bad Doctor Who parody (as so many loudspeakers nowadays seem to do).

:|

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Got you. And the 85th tweeter is different than the 80th or same with the wire mesh cover?

They are very pretty. They look like loudspeakers. And not like something from a bad Doctor Who parody (as so many loudspeakers nowadays seem to do).

Oh you silly hard scientist, don't ya know that speakers are cultural artifacts subject to endless revision and variation?!? We did make them up, after all, we can change the way they're "supposed" to look ad nauseam. Last I checked there was no platonic form of the loudspeaker...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Oh you silly hard scientist, don't ya know that speakers are cultural artifacts subject to endless revision and variation?!? We did make them up, after all, we can change the way they're "supposed" to look ad nauseam. Last I checked there was no platonic form of the loudspeaker...

Warning! Warning! Quotational misfire above! ;)

Sure there is...

The Platonic ideal of the loudspeaker...

uqcmx18gp95l.png

7fwr6fi9hi7d.png

Only from the minds of Kenwood (Trio).

ahem.
    B)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    Dayum! That's like two speakers glued together!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Kabuki speakers!!! *sigh*

Glad to hear the Lintons are working great. I am digging my Dentons so far.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Kabuki speakers!!! *sigh*

Glad to hear the Lintons are working great. I am digging my Dentons so far.

Just the thing for listening to KISS, you know?

uourgd980dat.png

I do apologize -- well, mostly -- for the digression :)

The Lintons do look great; it's be fun to hear a pair.
    How is the treble; I seem to recall some sense that the 80th anniversary Dentons were a little rounded off at the top end(???).

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited February 2020
    Options
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    What I thought was a rolled off top end on the 80th's was described by someone else with more experience as lacking in clarity.

Lots of people love them though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.