Monitor 70 opinions please

2»

Comments

• LloydBraun
    LloydBraun Posts: 36
    edited February 2020
    Double tap. Sorry.
  • I have an SVS PB-12 arriving tomorrow. Do not underestimate my ability to spend money. Haha
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    These guys wouldn't talk to me until I spent thousands and thousands of dollars.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Shut up Bruce
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    See, and they still won't talk to me!
  • I’m working on it!
  • I had the same question about more power to the 70s. My Onkyo reciever puts out 80 watts per channel which is fine for watching movies but I like listening to my music in 2 channel stereo and its not loud enough .
    I'm not sure about connections. My reciever has pre outs for a 2nd zone amplifier . Can I get a 2 channel amp with more power and hook the 70s up to that and my reciever at the same time ? Does it work like that ? Also if that's possible could my subwoofer be used at the same time ?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I had the same question about more power to the 70s. My Onkyo reciever puts out 80 watts per channel which is fine for watching movies but I like listening to my music in 2 channel stereo and its not loud enough .
    I'm not sure about connections. My reciever has pre outs for a 2nd zone amplifier . Can I get a 2 channel amp with more power and hook the 70s up to that and my reciever at the same time ? Does it work like that ? Also if that's possible could my subwoofer be used at the same time ?

Unfortunately no. You need a receiver with lr preouts. Most will have preouts for all channels if any, a few like the marantz NR line and some pioneer elite models 2.1 preouts (mains and sub). So, you have to upgrade the avr to get more power...sorry
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Guess its a line out connection. If that makes a difference.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Has to be main preouts otherwise it won’t work with the other channels or the sub
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ^^^This. I toyed with the idea of adding an amp to my Yamaha, until I checked, and no pre-outs.
  • K_Fulk
    K_Fulk Posts: 9
    I have had a set of 70s and a couple sets of 60s in my surround system for a few years. In my experience the 60s are better if you are just going to run off an AVR or Best Buy receiver. When I picked up a Denon 2400 it really woke up my 70s. A while later I picked up some Denon 6600 monoblocks and they got even clearer and had a lot more bass. Then replacing the AVR for the dap2500 preamp cleaned things up a lot more. I really think you need at least 250 watts to push them to their potential.
  • mcphatty00
    mcphatty00 Posts: 47
    Honestly, I have learned, rather quickly, there's no reason to spend thousands. 😉