Wireworld compared to MIT

Derf
Derf Posts: 229
Finally had a chance to install the MIT Shotgun S1 speaker cables I purchased a few weeks ago from Jeff @Polkitup2. They replaced Wireworld Solstice 7 cables which I bought from Skip with the MD2s, DAC, and Ampino monos, which have also been replaced. So in the end, to my ears, cables do matter. Here is what I heard...

For those on mobile, my equipment is: Auralic Aries Mini streamer into North Star Design Supremo DAC into Marantz PM-10 Integrated and out to Usher Mini Dancer 2 and a Rythmik F15HP subwoofer, hooked up via speaker level inputs.

Music I streamed through Tidal was: Steely Dan-Jack of Speed; SRV-Tin Pan Alley; Santana-Oye Como Va; Bela Fleck-Flight of the Cosmic Hippo; Dire Straits-So Far Away.

On all songs, soundstage was no wider nor deeper. What did change was focus, or location, of vocals and instruments on the stage and the amount of detail coming out in the songs. The music is cleaner and more clear. I can hear certain detail in the highs and mids that I haven’t before. Cymbals are clear, more like they are meant to be. Vocals are more focused and clear. It’s as if a light gauze was over the soundstage previously. The MITs remove that veil and allow the detail to come out of the music.

For instance, on Tin Pan Alley in some of the passages where just SRV is playing, I can hear the guitar pick hit the strings. It’s subtle but it’s there. At the end of Hippo, there is a real low piano note as the last note in the song. Well just prior to that there are a few other piano notes that previously got lost and were muddy; however, I can now distinctly hear them as notes.

So for me, the difference between the cables is heard mainly in the subtleties. Tone has not changed. Many of you here have talked about the elimination of noise; perhaps that is what has happened here. It is possible the MITs remove that unknown and unwanted noise that we don’t realize is there until it is gone.

I honestly was quite happy with my system. I bought these cables on a whim, to see if I could tell the difference. And while the Wireworld are quite good, the MITs seem to excel in allowing the details to shine through. They will definitely stay in the system.

zouagltmzz8m.jpeg
94mb4uuefkcz.jpeg
3fkbvfzbqf21.jpeg
95prsibjpdbc.jpeg
Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
Speakers: Usher MD2
Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
DAC: North Star Design Supremo
Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,306
    Hello, Derf and good evening to you sir. Thank you for your service!

It is my experience that what you experienced is correct. With that said, I will offer you this. There are many metallurgies out there. Many different connectors and ways of connecting (spade, banana, compression, etc.) Different metallurgies and connections will only get one so far in cables.

What you have stepped into is the "next level", if you will. Network boxes. Now, you will hear and read about "poles of articulation" and a whole host of other things that these boxes do. I ain't gonna get into all that because I simply do not care. The only thing I care about is the end result as to what hits these ears.

In this new realm in which you have entered are two companies that I am aware of. MIT and Transparent. Both have their own fan boys and detractors, although, not many detractors with each and for good reason IMO. Both have a lot to add to the plate.

Both have different "flavors", attributes, differences and deficiencies depending on where one is within the lineup. Bottom line IMO? You have done well in your upgrade path and I offer you a bit of congratulations. Well done and enjoy.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    What is the price difference between the Wireworld Solstice 7 and the MIT Shotgun S1?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    If MIT still made the Shotgun S1 they would be considerably more money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    LIke Tom said, you've stepped into a different level of cable. The Solstice retails for $164 where I believe the S1's when new retailed for $1,500. That series has been around long enough that there are some great deals on the used market. Always good to hear from someone who discovers / rediscovers the sonic improvements with higher quality cables. Enjoy!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,306
    BTW @Derf - The best rendition of SRV's TPA is this (if you can find a copy) >>> https://www.discogs.com/Various-Burmester-Art-For-The-Ear-Vorführungs-CD-II/release/4644424

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    The Solstice line was a lower tier in the WW lineup. Step up to their silver or platinum level and you will be amazed.
    [
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Just a suggestion, do a "Saved Search" for some Shotgun S1 I/Cs. They will give your Source Gear the same compliments the Speaker Wires do.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @Derf are those the cast iron bases on your MD2's? Also, what are your jumpers?
  • Derf
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Yes, cast iron bases. Jumpers from Douglas Connection, bought them right after I bought the first round of gear.

• miner wrote: »
    The Solstice line was a lower tier in the WW lineup. Step up to their silver or platinum level and you will be amazed.

Of course. Get what ya pay for. Both make great ropes from what these ears have owned and listened to. Not what I use but I recognize both as great choices.

Thanks for your review.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Derf wrote: »
    Yes, cast iron bases. Jumpers from Douglas Connection, bought them right after I bought the first round of gear.

My MD2's have MDF bases. I will always wonder how they would sound with those anchors. You know anyone with a foundry that could cast me some?
  • Derf
    You know anyone with a foundry that could cast me some?
    Hmmmm........let’s see (searches contact list)........nope, no foundry owners in the swamps of FL, lol.