PSW505 died

Options
Hello, I had two PSW505 subs in my setup but one of them died. I wanted to get another sub to pair with my remaining psw505. What would be some good options? Inwas wondering if the HTS 12 would pair ok with the remaining psw505. This would be mostly for home theater listening

Answers

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Run another plate amp from parts express, otherwise you'd be better off getting 2 new subs as very few out there will come close to complementing a 505.
  • Raven9908
    Options
    Speaking of Parts Express how do you think a pair of Dayton Sub-1500 would compare to my previous setup of 2 PSW505
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Raven9908 wrote: »
    Speaking of Parts Express how do you think a pair of Dayton Sub-1500 would compare to my previous setup of 2 PSW505

For $100 more this would crush both of those combined...

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb12-nsd
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Raven9908
    Options
    How big of a deal would it be to add another one down the road, looks like they only have that model at certain times of the year. I would probably want to add a second at some point when my budget allows.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

Sell the other sub and be done with it for good. Sealed for better sound with more than ample low end for HT. One and done. It's not the sub, it's the technology.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Raven9908 wrote: »
    How big of a deal would it be to add another one down the road, looks like they only have that model at certain times of the year. I would probably want to add a second at some point when my budget allows.

If you can stretch the budget a bit more, this one is always available, and I love mine!

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Raven9908
    Options
    So if I set the budget around $500 that sounds like a substantial increase over my old Polk psw505 dual setup. Just for a complete picture what's the next increase that I would see substantial gains at are we talking like $1300 or about what range. I don't mind increasing the budget If I am going to do it I wouldn't want to be looking at just a small gain, I don't know that i have a good enough ear for just a minor upgrade to be noticable. Majority of the use would be home theater
  • treitz3
    Options
    Please allow me to tell you what others told me a long time ago. Polk is not known for their subs. It may sting a bit but it is what it is.

Substantial gains for boom and what most folks think of as bass from a sub? SVS, JL, Klipsch and the like? You may be perfectly fine with these. Based upon your budget, I would take rooftop59's suggestion.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Raven9908
    Raven9908 Posts: 5
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I was just trying to find out what would be the next big jump up over the svs sub he suggested. I always considered the polks to be a budget sub as I believe the price was very low for them maybe 150 each on a Black Friday deal I don't remember.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Big jump would be my first suggestion. Your budget dictates otherwise. If you strech it a bit further? You may never need to look further...only upgrade from there if needed.

Tom
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    One of my friends has a 505, He thought it was the greatest thing out. One day he had us over for a BBQ. I took my little HSU STF-2 over and replaced his 505 for the day. He didn't think his HT could sound so good. When it was time to go he almost didn't want me leaving.

I'd take a single VTF2-MK5 any day over two 505's.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music