SDA2 vs SDA SRS 2 vs SDA 1C

2»

Comments

• Polar
    Polar Posts: 70
    Polar wrote: »
    I believe I'll be getting the SDA SRS2 - for now.

Congrats!
    My wife didn’t warm to their imposing aesthetic. Until I played her Tenors performing ‘Hallelujah’ ... during which her comment was “You’re not selling these”

Right on! (although here I think my wife will probably just complain about having something else taking up floor space and trailing wires. I haven't gotten her up to speed on the hifi yet - she's just gotten comfortable with Sonos and the simplicity appeals to her.)

The Tenors were brilliant, but in my case it would probably be the Deep Purple version of Hallelujah. That sounds excellent through the SRS. Some of our demo discs back then...

Chicago 17
    King Crimson: Court of the Crimson King
    James Newton Howard and Friends
    Sheffield Labs Track Disc
    MFSL : Dark Side of the Moon and White Album

• Polar wrote: »
    I believe I'll be getting the SDA SRS2 - for now. As John mentioned, its just until I find another pair of SRS originals. I have a few amps to choose from, what do you guys think I should try first:

Sumo Andromeda (original)
    Adcom GFA-555 (Mk I)
    Adcom GFA-585
    Carver M1.0t
    Hafler SE240

Sorry don’t have direct experience with these 5 ... have heard and liked the Pass-designed Adcom 5800 paired with slightly forgiving speakers, as these can be.

• Polar wrote: »
    JayCee wrote: »
    ... but nearly everything in the store worked with the SRS ...

That’s been my experience so far ... pretty forgiving, but reward more power and higher quality ... Mine sounded ok driven by the original owners vintage Denon integrated .. better yet with my Parasound HCA-1500a ... but best so far and by far with my Plinius 8200MkII
  • Polar
    F1nut wrote: »
    To further drive my point home you stated, "they were set up in our store in 1984-ish." The SDA SRS didn't exist until late 1985.

Our store closed in spring of 1986. The speakers were there for a year before we closed. They were shown to the industry at CES Vegas in January 1985, I believe, and again at CES Chicago. Theres a slim chance I can find materials for these speakers that date 1984. So yes, 1984-ish, because I didn't want to put too fine a point on it. I think we had the first set in the state, or at least one side of it.
    But that must have been an illusion.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Polar wrote: »
    I have a few amps to choose from
    Sumo Andromeda (original)
    Adcom GFA-555 (Mk I)
    Adcom GFA-585
    Carver M1.0t
    Hafler SE240

Probably best to wait until the speakers are modded and broke in first. You will hear a lot more details then and you can build components from there to tailor your listening taste. Any one of those amp could be ideal. Especially after a refresh with new capacitors.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2020
    The SRS patent was filed on 5-28-1982
    Edit: after the exhausting read I'm not sure that's the SRS patent. Could actually be the SDA patent...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • @audioluvr could you post the link to the patent you're looking at?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • audioluvr
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Polar
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Probably best to wait until the speakers are modded and broke in first. You will hear a lot more details then and you can build components from there to tailor your listening taste. Any one of those amp could be ideal. Especially after a refresh with new capacitors.

Very good advice.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I love the deep bass of the SRS 2.