Tesla Can Remotely Remove Features

Options
2»

Comments

• halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The resale value of a Tesla just tanked, big time.

My Russian Vodka is wearing off.

I also know you have been around since the days of fighting dinosaurs. Haha

But could you provide where the resale of Tesla just tanked? I have been wanting to buy the Model X for some time now.
  • halen
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Vodka kicking in. Haha
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,124
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    It should come as no surprise that Tesla can remove features after a sale, since they can also add them after a sale using OTA updates, but in this particular case, it would seem that either Tesla, or the third party vendor misrepresented the sale. Did the third party vendor discover that the feature was active, and decide to include it in their description, or did the original auction from Tesla describe the feature as available, or included?

I wouldn’t compare this to reclaiming tires or rims after a sale. It’s a software feature, not a hardware feature. so it does seem more like a subscription service like OnStar to me, but it all depends on how the initial auction vehicle from Tesla was described in the listing.

The original purchaser of the vehicle bought a software package that Tesla added to the vehicle. Tesla screwed up and uploaded more that what the customer paid for, and they drove with it from new until the vehicle was traded in. Tesla auctioned the car stating the self driving mode was part of the car’s feature set. Then they performed a system-wide audit.

This audit revealed there were hundreds of cars out there with software that had been loaded into the cars and not paid for, through errors on the part of Tesla and their processes. They deactivated not just this car, but every other car out there with features Tesla says we’re never paid for.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halen
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    It should come as no surprise that Tesla can remove features after a sale, since they can also add them after a sale using OTA updates, but in this particular case, it would seem that either Tesla, or the third party vendor misrepresented the sale. Did the third party vendor discover that the feature was active, and decide to include it in their description, or did the original auction from Tesla describe the feature as available, or included?

I wouldn’t compare this to reclaiming tires or rims after a sale. It’s a software feature, not a hardware feature. so it does seem more like a subscription service like OnStar to me, but it all depends on how the initial auction vehicle from Tesla was described in the listing.

The original purchaser of the vehicle bought a software package that Tesla added to the vehicle. Tesla screwed up and uploaded more that what the customer paid for, and they drove with it from new until the vehicle was traded in. Tesla auctioned the car stating the self driving mode was part of the car’s feature set. Then they performed a system-wide audit.

This audit revealed there were hundreds of cars out there with software that had been loaded into the cars and not paid for, through errors on the part of Tesla and their processes. They deactivated not just this car, but every other car out there with features Tesla says we’re never paid for.

My take...

I seriously doubt these drivers had software upgrades they did not pay for and Tesla was unaware of.

Likely it is for statistical purposes. Today’s world of coding is based on single responsibility functions/methods. Now, I could also attest that many companies have not adapted this paradigm. For Tesla to be so, I don’t believe it. With that, I code pointers in mine that makes me aware when any anomaly occurs. Any.

The power of prime and my favorite number ‘e’

Cheers!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,124
    Options
    Tesla themselves admitted they did exactly what I said they did. I don’t just pull stuff like that out of my backside.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson