polk woodbourne disassembly

Options
Hello, I have come upon a faulty woodbourne that powers up and plays music (bluetooth), but the sounds are distorted, like the speaker diaphragms are torn. I want to open it up and try to repair it, but i cannot seem to find any obvious ways to open it up. The little rubber feet under the unit dont seem to have screws under them, and i am not sure one should be prying open the fabric cover.

Any pointers? Thank you so much !

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I have one and not a clue how to get inside.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Most likely will be concealed behind any stickers. There's probably also panels that click together
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • woody11
    Options
    there is a sticker at the bottom but i cant feel any screws under it. i tried sticking a pry tool (a spatula :-\) between the front panel and the wood but it doesnt make anything obvioulsy pop off.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    That's to bad a hear these are highly sought after.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • woody11
    Options
    i stuck a thin spatula betweeen the wood and the back frame and with some pressure pried off the back fabric panel. Then there is a back board screwed on which exposes the electronics. Haven't gotten much further yet.
  • woody11
    Options
    I managed to open it up and access the circuitry from the back. I can hear a static / ticking sound from the power supply, seemingly from the transformers. However, the board does seem to be outputting the requisite +30/gnd/+30/gnd voltages. So more investigation beckons.
  • Joshuamedia
    Options
    Hi woody11, I realized my woodbourne stopped working this week, any of the buttons in the front are not working neither through the remote control but it is receiving power and some lights are on. Polk support told me to try a couple of things with no results so I will need to open it and repair it. I'm reading you could do it. What it the best approach/tips for that?
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    Oh man, that's too bad! I hope you can repair it. I have TWO of these in my house and love them.
    No excuses!
  • woody11
    woody11 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, the update is that I now know the electronics are fine. The problem is the main driver speakers especially the right one. I connected the speaker to my other amp and it sounds really bad. I also connected another speaker to the woodbourne's output and it sounded OK.

here are some pics that might help you undertstand the disassembly and innards

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am_CLzV_6JJ5nzmFZ7-kio7ohSti?e=3CTTCa

But Note that I cannot get the front disassembled yet. I need to do that to unscrew the speakers.
  • woody11
    woody11 Posts: 8
    Options
    Would any one know what the specs / model of the main drivers are ?
  • maxwelloau
    Options
    Thanks, i am checking the pictures now.
  • 431barryC
    431barryC Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Woody C.
    I have a Woodbourne which will no longer powers up. I do not think there is very much wrong with it, but do wish to brake into. it seems a great shame to throw away because it could be used for spares. it is appearance wise,as good as new. is it any good to you you?

Regards 431barryc
  • 431barryC
    Options
    Woody.
    I forgot to include email address Email barryfjel2@hotmail.com
  • 431barryC
    Options
    Should read email barrydhel2@hotmail.com
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Nice gesture, but Dude I wouldn’t post my personal email on a public forum...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Ironcloud
    Ironcloud Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have had two of these speakers for about five years. Lately one of them drops the Bluetooth signal after a few minutes. When I turn it off and back on, it plays great for a few minutes then drops the signal again. The other continues to work perfectly. I have tried everything I can think of. Do you wise and wonderful people have any suggestions?

Thank you!